Forum Index » GEAR » ULA Sleeping bag

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
Re: Re: Re: klymit on 09/13/2012 12:30:08 MDT Print View

David,
Yes, all true, and all good points.

My point is that even if we knew every detail, virtually none of us here would buy it.
It's not targeted at us.
We want sub-32 ounce 20-degree bags with 850-900 fill power and the lightest possible fabrics for super-duper compression and low carry weight.
This bag just isn't going to hit any of that.

I think this bag is going to be on the rack at some dealer/store, and a customer is going to be in there buying a North Face Tent and stuff like that, and they'll look at some bags on the rack and pick out one that says "20 degrees F" on it, that they like the looks of, and that is in their price range.
Ten-to-one says they only look at the tag to see how much it costs, not what it weighs.
That's my take on it.

I believe this marks a move toward general consumer sales by these companies. I think that's what we're seeing.

Edited by towaly on 09/13/2012 12:33:37 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: klymit on 09/13/2012 12:36:43 MDT Print View

"I believe this marks a move toward general consumer sales by these companies. I think that's what we're seeing."

Interesting point and there is a good business case for it as well. Wider base; more revenue.

Thanks.

Bruce Tolley
(btolley) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
ULA Sleeping Bag on 09/13/2012 14:08:50 MDT Print View

This thread seems to be generating more heat than light.

The original questions posted by Ken Thompson still stand I think:
>>>
Specs.

20 Degree
550 Down Sleeping Bag
2.59 lbs
84.5" x 31.5" x 21.7"

At $225 it seems like a weird combination of materials and features. Who uses 550 down in a sleeping bag? The specs are kinda sparse, what fabrics are being used? Kinda heavy.
>>>
In my opinion, until someone is able to do a hands on review, any real conclusion about the value trade off in this 20 degree bag product will be hard to see, hard to judge. The Klymit product portfolio and many of its design and engineering elements such as the use of noble gasses are unique, if not quirky.

As to ULA's motives, given that the Klymit site is selling/marketing a ULA pack, this looks like classic cross promotional partnership activity, to wit, "you help me market my product and I will help you market yours." Since MLD also incorporates Klymit components in its packs, I guess many of the posters can only hope not to see this bag show up on Ron Bell's site.

By way of disclosure, I own one ULA pack purchased from Brian but have had good customer service from the current owners. I own a bivy, tarp and mid from MLD. I am still trying to figure out whether to return my Klymit sleeping pad to REI or keep it. :-)

Edited by btolley on 09/13/2012 16:37:32 MDT.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
ULA Sleeping bag on 09/13/2012 15:36:23 MDT Print View

"As to ULA's motives, given that the Klymit site is selling/marketing a ULA pack, this looks like classic cross promotional partnership activity, to wit, 'you help me market my product and I will help you market yours.' "

Have ULA packs been made available at overseas retailers that also happen to sell Klymit products? I happened upon ULA rucksacks at Ultralight Outdoor Gear in the UK. Wondering if spreading the product to more dealerships is the motive, or does Klymit have connections with Asian manufacturers that will become the new builders of ULA packs.

Andrew Weldon
(hypnolobster) - F
Got an answer on 09/13/2012 17:08:10 MDT Print View

I asked on Facebook about where the bag was made and got an answer:

Hmm

I'm not really sure what I think about it. I'm really not terribly concerned either way and I understand that it's probably an attempt to reach a wider backpacking audience.

Really doesn't effect my opinion of the company either way. They still make great packs and that's all I'm concerned with.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Ula meh on 09/13/2012 17:47:05 MDT Print View

They make heavy packs, by sul standards.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Ula meh on 09/13/2012 18:02:58 MDT Print View

ULA doesn't cater to the SUL market. That comment adds little to the discussion about the sleeping bag.

Edited by aaronufl on 09/13/2012 18:05:33 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re: Re: Ula meh on 09/13/2012 18:24:58 MDT Print View

Exactly, thats why they don't care about a medium weight sleeping bag I suppose. But I sure do, thats why I would never buy that.