Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: rant on 09/09/2012 19:23:15 MDT Print View

Post deleted

I better be good.

-Tim

Edited by MarshLaw303 on 09/09/2012 22:21:04 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: rant on 09/09/2012 19:51:07 MDT Print View

I don't think this is the vision that Brian Frankle had for ULA.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Colorado
Bummer on 09/09/2012 20:03:34 MDT Print View

Kind of a bummer. ULA should just stick to packs and not slap their name on a product like this.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: ULA Sleeping bag on 09/09/2012 20:52:42 MDT Print View

Overpriced junk.

Dan Johnson
(Seattle)

Locale: PNW
ULA comments? on 09/09/2012 21:29:42 MDT Print View

I'm surprised no one from ULA has commented on the bag... I mean if you were proud of something you made wouldn't you support your product? If they did, did I miss it?

I really hope this isn't a precursor to what could happen to the rest of their line up...

Tim - Rant away :)

Stephen P
(spavlock) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
I'm fine with trash talk on 09/09/2012 21:43:54 MDT Print View

I can understand the desire to expand into other areas of the market. However, they really sh*t the bed with this one. If I owned the company, I'd be ashamed to put my logo on this product.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
ULA Sleeping bag on 09/09/2012 22:18:46 MDT Print View

So asking all the ones here that have used the bag, how is the fit ?
Franco

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: ULA Sleeping bag on 09/09/2012 22:28:09 MDT Print View

Given the measurements given I'm not sure.

84.5" x 31.5" x 21.7"

84.5" what?

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
wow on 09/09/2012 22:32:26 MDT Print View

A ton of keyboard critics considering it appears not a single one of you has seen this in person yet and most had never heard of it 24 hours ago.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: wow on 09/09/2012 22:42:46 MDT Print View

What's your point? What do you not agree with? Specifically. I asked a question on their FB page. Let's see what happens to that.

My initial thoughts were. Why a sleeping bag? Especially a collaboration/rebadging effort. Klymit is selling the same bag with their logo.

Why 550 down?

Why no better specifications given other than the vague ones given on both sites?

$225 for what? What makes this one better than say the Cosmic others have mentioned.

An educated consumer makes the best customer. An educated consumer can also spot an issue from a recliner.

Edited by kthompson on 09/09/2012 22:50:55 MDT.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: Re: wow on 09/10/2012 00:20:01 MDT Print View

I think I was pretty clear.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: wow on 09/10/2012 00:26:32 MDT Print View

Will seeing it in person or waiting more than 24 hours improve the quality of the down, decrease the weight or lower the price?

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: Re: wow on 09/10/2012 00:51:15 MDT Print View

Yeah. Cause that was point. The first page was constructive.

Then it devolved into insults without support. And seeing it in person would let one see if it is in fact junk or perhaps just trying to fill a niche. Even if it isn't for a typical UL person.

Call me crazy, but I for one prefer to wait before saying a company sh!!!t the bed and should be ashamed.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: wow on 09/10/2012 02:23:40 MDT Print View

With what we already know, it's impossible for me to think of something seeing it in person could discover to make that bag worth recommending. If there is something magical about it that we haven't been able to think of, then ULA and Klymit failed by leaving that information unsaid. That's a bad business practice, just like banning a 5 time customer instead of deleting his comment.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"overpriced junk" on 09/10/2012 06:11:22 MDT Print View

Ok, my words were biting, they definitely reflect my increasing cynicism toward the amount of energy and effort we put towards gear propagation on this website. Does anyone really care?

"Breaking news" on the gear front can harbor multiple page responses in a single day, yet members post trip reports and share their experiences and their efforts barely get glazed over.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: ULA Sleeping bag on 09/10/2012 06:56:22 MDT Print View

Since I started this thread let me say this.

I posted this here because I like so many others enjoy my ULA pack. I saw this and thought it was ULA and Klymit both trying to expand their reach. Then I looked at the specs. and though that they were lacking in their description on the fabrics used. But when I saw 550 down, I stopped. Why do that? I thought. Then seeing the price I thought , PASS. Sure the name calling is bad form, but so easy to type. Doubt that I will ever see one of these, since every single person I hike with owns a Western Mountaineering bag(Edit: All but one.).
They give detailed specs.
Bags made in the USA.
Good customer service.
We've already spoken with our wallets.

Really have to wonder who the target audience is with the ULA/Klymit bag.

Edited by kthompson on 09/10/2012 14:05:09 MDT.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - M
Re: Re: ULA Sleeping bag on 09/10/2012 07:18:20 MDT Print View

Waitaminit, Ken. I've never owned, nor slept in, a Western Mountaineering bag. Feathered Friends forever;)

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
ULA Sleeping bag on 09/10/2012 08:05:56 MDT Print View

LuxuryLite produced the V Sleeping Bag for fans of its Stackpack. It was rated at 20F and weighed 32 oz, and retailed for only $99. I'm not sure they knew what the exact shell materials or what the fill-power or weight of down was, only that the bag came from the factory at around 32 oz.

I thought ULA may have offered some type of cross marketing to Klymit in efforts to further their business relations for future product offerings. Surely they know better.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
More consumer oriented. on 09/10/2012 08:46:03 MDT Print View

In my earlier post on this thread, I tried to convey my belief that this is an attempt to reach the more general consumer market by both ULA and Klymit.
I don't think this bag is targeted at SUL thru-hikers.

I just had a quick look at some consumer bags in the same general category.
Kelty Light Year 20-degree Down Bag
600-Fill Down
Weighs 2 Pounds 13 ounces
Stuffs 8"x15"
Reg price $239.95

Rab Ascent 500 23-degree Down Bag
650-Fill Down
Weighs 2 pounds 6 ounces
Reg price $249.95

Those are just a couple for example.
Basically, this is a consumer bag range that sells a lot of bags. I think these companies want to make some sales to larger numbers of consumers.
If this price/performance range wasn't attractive, then the big bag companies wouldn't be selling bags in that market range.

That's my take on it.
Not every product needs to be a Ferrari.
Many more people buy average bags at reasonable cost, and I think that is what this product is about.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: ULA Sleeping bag on 09/10/2012 09:22:20 MDT Print View

http://www.luxurylite.com/xbagindex.html

This was the V bag. I thought it might have been the same a couple days ago, but they never gave a fill weight.