Forum Index » GEAR » Gatewood Cape vs ?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Gatewood Cape and Nature's Call on 10/21/2012 00:16:25 MDT Print View

Okay Bob,

I hesitate to ask, but being the morbidly courious type, I will.

Why do you need a "pee bottle?" Can't you just use your "anatomical advantage" to launch the pee well outside your shelter? or is that only possible with a certain threshold level of "really significant?" :)

a b
(Ice-axe)
Re: Re: Gatewood Cape and Nature's Call on 10/21/2012 00:33:50 MDT Print View

I used a MLD Patrol and a Bear Paw Bivy for the AT.
When i had to pee I simply un zipped the side and "let 'er fly".
Occasionally i hit the edge of the tarp and almost always wet my leg a bit.
That is okay.
Pee is sterile.
The overwhelming advantage is conserved warmth and simplicity.

Actually it is quite liberating.. "pee-ing in the wind" and retreating to composure at will.

The "tarp/bivy" thing is surreal.

Someone should write a poem about it...

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Gatewood Cape and Nature's Call on 10/21/2012 09:44:47 MDT Print View

Susan:

1) because I can

2) because when it's cold and/or wet and/or very windy outside, all I need do is unzip my sleeping bag enough to tuck part of the bottom edge under me - I don't want a wet, smelly sleeping bag -, adjust my clothing, position the bottle, and "fire away". The rest of me stays warm and dry.

If the weather is warm and/or dry, I MAY get up and go find the little boys' tree, especially if its a clear, starry night and I'm awake enough to not trip over a guyline or other obstacle in the darkness.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
For the Ladies on 10/21/2012 17:07:39 MDT Print View

I know at least one women who carry a two quart milk carton folded up.
Unfold it at night and fully open all seams on the top for use as a pee bottle inside your shelter.

There are some very wide mouth screw lid plastic bottles used for nuts, cookies and such that also work well, but take up a lot of space in the pack.

Talk about a subject change:-)

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
gross, a pee bottle is not right on 10/21/2012 18:01:34 MDT Print View

There is nothing hygenic about carrying a pee bottle around, not to mention its unneccesary.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re: gross, a pee bottle is not right on 10/21/2012 18:09:15 MDT Print View

"There is nothing hygenic about carrying a pee bottle around, not to mention its unneccesary."

How old are you, Michael? At my age, a pee bottle is a neccessity ;)

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re: gross, a pee bottle is not right on 10/21/2012 18:12:27 MDT Print View

At your age you might as well wear Depends.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
gross, a pee bottle is not right on 10/21/2012 18:20:58 MDT Print View

Michael:

Common practice (and common sense)is to empty the bottle in the morning and rinse it out several times before packing it up. Mine rides in an outside mesh pocket.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: gross, a pee bottle is not right on 10/21/2012 18:32:05 MDT Print View

If you're having hygiene problems with a pee bottle, I suggest peeing in it, not on it.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re: gross, a pee bottle is not right on 10/21/2012 18:37:52 MDT Print View

You might as well just get up and go outside at that point.

Edited by M.L on 10/21/2012 18:43:14 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re: Re: gross, a pee bottle is not right on 10/21/2012 18:45:36 MDT Print View

I can only imagine the conversation when someone asks "And what is that bottle for?". "That's my pee bottle".

"Oh.... Well I gotta go now".

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Re: Re: Re: Re: gross, a pee bottle is not right on 10/21/2012 21:20:40 MDT Print View

Don't like pee bottles? Now suppose you were to install a small grommet in your single wall tent with a pocket sewed on the inside. Give it a good seam sealing and...viola! you too could be one of the elite few with an ultra light urinal in your tent. geez, I should get one of those vanity patents.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
pee bottle on 10/21/2012 21:24:44 MDT Print View

Thread drift!!!!

The toughest man I've ever met, a wild adventurer by the name of Doug Stufflebeam, was a stalwart advocate of the pee bottle, especially in jungle environs. If Doug used it, it can't be wrong!

Personally, I enjoy getting out of the shelter and wandering around for pee breaks. But, as mentioned above, I'm 25, so it's usually only once per night :)

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: gross, a pee bottle is not right on 10/21/2012 21:51:14 MDT Print View

You might as well just get up and go outside at that point.

I use one specifically to help prevent fully coming out of sleep.

I can only imagine the conversation when someone asks "And what is that bottle for?". "That's my pee bottle".

I had someone tweaking the bottle hanging off my pack, wondering what it was for until I told him. I bet it's the last time he plays with someone else's bottle, especially when it appears to have a little gatorade left in it.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: gross, a pee bottle is not right on 10/22/2012 01:45:32 MDT Print View

Actually, i was just wondering why you fellers couldn't just aim the pee out the shelter instead of using the bottle....

Yeah, I went there. Again.

See what happens when somebody asks about a Gatewood Cape? Who knew? :)

Edited by veganaloha on 10/22/2012 01:46:50 MDT.