Outdoor Research kit recommendations
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Outdoor Research kit recommendations on 09/06/2012 11:38:10 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

I have a voucher for Ouitdoor Research, I looked at their website and none of their items jumped out at me so cnaty make up my mind what top spend it on.

Does anyone have any kit they really like and can recommend?

Cheers,

Stephen

S Long
(Izeloz) - M

Locale: Wasatch
Re: Outdoor Research kit recommendations on 09/06/2012 11:52:49 MDT Print View

What sort of activities are you into? That might drive the direction you go. I have found that I really like their Centrifuge jacket for cold weather runs and biking.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Outdoor Research kit recommendations on 09/06/2012 12:00:23 MDT Print View

Mainly Backpacking and hiking.

Thanks

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Outdoor Research kit recommendations on 09/06/2012 12:49:11 MDT Print View

I have both their Flex-tex (winter) and Ultra Trail gaiters (summer)- I like both

they have several hats and balaclavas that are worth looking at

they make a really light tee shirt, Echo Tee that gets good reviews- only weighs 3.2 oz, they also have a couple of blended (merino and syn) shirts that look good

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Ultra Trail Gaiters on 09/06/2012 12:52:44 MDT Print View

+1 on the Ultra Trail Gaiters Got'em, Love'em. 3.0oz in Size L without under boot/shoe straps/cords.

Edited by f8less on 09/06/2012 12:54:08 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Outdoor Research kit recommendations on 09/06/2012 12:59:33 MDT Print View

Cheers Mike,

Will check those out

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Outdoor Research kit recommendations on 09/06/2012 15:25:17 MDT Print View

I really like the ferrosi pants and shorts. Light weight softshell.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Outdoor Research kit recommendations on 09/06/2012 15:42:47 MDT Print View

Cheers Jason :-)

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Transcendent Down Sweater/Hoodie on 09/06/2012 16:19:47 MDT Print View

It's warmer than your typical down sweater. Weighs a little more too, but a very well made jacket and stuffs into a very soft pillow. I think it's 11 oz. for a medium. I bought on in Crested Butte a few years back, asked about repairing a tear that was my fault, and they replaced it with the current version, brand new, and - get this - shipped it to me before I'd even shipped mine back. Single best warranty experience I have ever had (well Clark's gave me two pairs of shoes once). The Infinity Warranty is not to be messed with. Get it for around town if you have a better lighter down jacket. Can't have too many puffies in my mind.

They also have a "Radiant" Hoody that looks a lot like an R1 or something.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Transcendent Down Sweater/Hoodie on 09/06/2012 16:36:23 MDT Print View

The warranty they offer is indeed very good.

The reason I have the voucher is that I am sending in an item under Warrnaty and as it is out of stock they allowed me to take a voucher instead.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Helium on 09/06/2012 18:30:30 MDT Print View

My most used rarely used jacket ... Goes everywhere in the pack

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Helium on 09/06/2012 19:05:25 MDT Print View

Good man Eric,

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Helium on 09/07/2012 18:38:44 MDT Print View

I should have mentioned the Helium as well, as I own one :) great light rain jacket and now slightly improved over the model I own

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
neoplume pants if you spend any time out in the cold on 09/07/2012 20:57:36 MDT Print View

i have a few of or's products, but the one thing that they make that i think is unique to them is their neoplume pants. they use a heavier weight insulation between the waist and the knees than from the knees down, where you need less insulation. they pack down small and go in the bottom of the pack on most cold weather excursions.