Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: hammock sleep gear and UL bag.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rob Mcrae
(emptyman) - F

Locale: the other, big Ontario
WTB: hammock sleep gear and UL bag. on 03/09/2007 15:33:49 MST Print View

Hi. I'm laid off and am looking to get out and use my hammock in cooler weather than normal.
Looking to buy the HH supershelter, or perhaps a good big agnes bag (that i've heard does the trick with a good pad - which i have/can make)
or, perhaps a good bag rated to at least 20F or -9C.
Thanks a lot.
please respond to robruthmcrae at sympatico.ca

D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
Re: WTB: hammock sleep gear and UL bag. on 03/11/2007 00:52:08 MST Print View

Rob,

Check on eBay right now...I know there is a HH on auction. Auction ends in 4 days I believe.

"couch"

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Locale: Great Lakes
Concerning UL bag for hammock use on 03/11/2007 11:07:47 MDT Print View

I have a western mountaineering 2005 model badger sleeping bag that is in excellent condition. It is sized long and has the microfiber shell. WM rates the bag to 15F and lists the weight at 2lbs 8oz. You can check the WM website for all the specs since they still sell this bag. If you are interested I can go into further detail concerning the condition of the bag.

Rob Mcrae
(emptyman) - F

Re: Concerning UL bag for hammock use on 03/12/2007 10:44:45 MDT Print View

Jeffrey K,

Thanks for your response. That bag looks absolutely fantastic, although it looks way, way out of my price range (unless you are considering me a charity case and selling it for a ridiculous price...)
Thanks anyway.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: WTB: hammock sleep gear and UL bag. on 03/12/2007 11:17:56 MDT Print View

Rob, unless you are set on a bag, consider a Jacks R Better quilt. You can also make your own if your so inclined. I use the No Sniveller with my Hennessy Hammock and Love it. I think quilts just work better with hammocks.

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
Re: WTB: hammock sleep gear and UL bag. on 03/12/2007 11:28:11 MDT Print View

lots if info at http://www.hammockforums.net

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
Re: WTB: hammock sleep gear and UL bag. on 03/12/2007 14:16:50 MDT Print View

Rob -

Let me know if you're not interested in the Hennessy SuperShelter System and I'll post it for others to make an offer on. Thanks. Have sent you PM with details.

Robert

Rob Mcrae
(emptyman) - F

To Eric Noble re hammock on 03/18/2007 06:38:13 MDT Print View

Eric,

I have been reading a lot about hammock insulation, and it sure looks like the underquilt is a good way to go, but there are two drawbacks for me: the price and the price.
Also, I cannot sew, never have, and don't own a sewing machine, and don't have the time or patience to get into that.
I am going to go with the HH Supershelter and just use a plain sleeping bag inside - I hope that will do the trick in the temps I'll be in (around 35F/0C)

On that note, if you ever see a No sniveller for a NoBrainer price, Let me know!!

-rob

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
re hammock on 03/18/2007 09:50:27 MDT Print View

>I am going to go with the HH Supershelter and just use a plain sleeping bag inside - I hope that will do the trick in the temps I'll be in (around 35F/0C)

A Hennessy hammock used with the Hennessy under-pad and under-cover insulation system and a sleeping bag should be comfortable at those temps. I've used the HH SuperShelter insulation system with a JRB Nest down top-quilt and insulated clothing to +25F. You might consider zipping the sleeping bag mostly open, leaving just a foot pocket, and using it quilt-style (tuck the extra underneath you). It's no fun trying to crawl into a sleeping bag inside a hammock.

If you just have a Hennessy hammock (without the under-pad/under-cover) then I suspect you will be very cold. Bottom insulation of some kind is necessary in a hammock in cold (or even cool) weather--a typical sleeping bag won't cut it. (I was shivery in a +15F synthetic bag at +40F; froze my butt in a +10F down bag at +30F; YMMV.) Don't bother with a space blanket--it won't help. The cheapest/lightest solution is a Gossamer Gear ThinLight 1/8" Evazote sleeping pad (2.5 oz; wide: 3.2 oz; 1/4" wide/long: 5.1 oz). That, with a reasonable sleeping bag, should be good for your temp range. You can put the sleeping pad inside the hammock, but try it before your trip. You have to be a contortionist to get a sleeping pad nicely arranged underneath you while inside a sleeping bag in a Hennessy hammock. I flipped my hammock completely upside down once! (Fortunately, the Hennessy bug mesh is very sturdy.) A much friendlier, and more generally useful, alternative is to suspend a sleeping pad or fleece blanket under the hammock with a Jacks R Better Weather Shield bottom cover. (The web page says "out of stock" but that only refers to the top cover at present.) You can also stuff extra clothing between the pad and the bottom cover to increase insulation (not on top of the pad, or the clothing may gain moisture). The Weather Shield bottom cover is great for suspending a JRB Nest, No Sniveler, or any other lightweight quilt. (A synthetic or down comforter can easily be found for $40-$50, but it will be much heavier than a JRB quilt.)

Edited by Otter on 03/18/2007 10:21:11 MDT.

Rob Mcrae
(emptyman) - F

thanks douglas on 03/18/2007 18:10:15 MDT Print View

Douglas,
thanks, you are right. The reason I am doing this is because last year on a similar trip I did the 'contortionist' thing and tried to sleep inside my HH with a thermarest, sleeping bag and space blanket. I can't even write that without laughing now - but then it was nasty. I was on the ground after the second night...
I am buying the undercover setup and since I am canoeing, the weight of the sleeping bag won't be an issue, so I'll just get a warm lugger.
have a good one,
rob

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Re: To Eric Noble re hammock on 03/19/2007 08:51:02 MDT Print View

Rob, I certainly understand price being an issue. I was fortunate and bought one No Sniveller and won the other in a drawing. I'm glad Douglas responded because he is the expert in this and has experience with both the Supershelter and quilts. I was originally planning on getting the Supershelter but that changed when I won the other quilt. I've found it easy to justify the cost of my No Sniveller because I use it all the time. My wife and I use them around the house as comforters in the evening and frequently while sleeping. I, of course, use mine on outings as well, rather I'm in a hammock or not. In my opinion, the No Sniveller is worth saving for, even if you get the Supershelter now. The utility and versatility of the No Sniveller is simply awesome.

Rob Mcrae
(emptyman) - F

eric on 03/21/2007 16:12:44 MDT Print View

Thanks Eric.
I will keep that in mind for the future, for sure.
Man, I can't believe you won a no sniveller! Nice going.

You see the other factor is that I am Canadian, and therefore not only are prices higher, the shipping is also higher, and can be tricky with tariffs.

Someday...

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Re: eric on 03/21/2007 16:36:10 MDT Print View

Rob, I can't wait to hear your experience with the undercover. As I recall, it's a lighter solution then my quilt when it's not so cold out.

Rob Mcrae
(emptyman) - F

Re: Re: eric on 03/23/2007 07:31:59 MDT Print View

OK, I'll let you know!