JetBoil Sol and Enertia Meals
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason McSpadden
(JBMcSr1) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Jetboil Sol and Enertia Meals on 09/03/2012 19:21:16 MDT Print View

I just got back from a quick trip this weekend. I took my Jetboil Sol because of the fire bans in the national forest that I was in. From what I read on national forest website only petroleum stoves were being allowed. So, in my mind that ruled out my alcohol stove setup. Man is that Jetboil fast!! 12 ozs. of water for my Enertia meals was in a rapid boil before I got my meal package all open and ready to go. I know that the Jetboil Sol is heavier than my alcohol stove (and heavier than the Sol Ti) but it sure is lightening fast--extremely convenient. I may have to re-think my alcohol stove.

I also want to say that I thought all the Enertia brand meals that I brought were delicious. I highly recommend them.

Edited by JBMcSr1 on 09/03/2012 19:23:31 MDT.

Ben Barlin
(ben-ln) - F
Agreement on 09/03/2012 19:46:51 MDT Print View

My setup exactly. Enertia meals are great.

Eric Swab
(ericswab) - M

Locale: Rockies
JetBoil Sol and Enertia Meals on 09/04/2012 08:54:30 MDT Print View

Almost the same situation for me too in re-thinking canister stoves. Did a trip earlier this year and my friends brought along their regular jetboil, it was nice for a group of four to get a couple liters of water heated quickly each morning.

But this past weekend it was just me and my girlfriend, with the fire issue and the need for a liter of water per meal I brought a Pocket Rocket and bigger pot. While we had to deal with making a wind break a couple of times, it was great to cook quickly on the trail. Both days we got up and hiked for awhile, then made coffee and oatmeal, and at night made dinner, then hiked another couple miles, which I really liked.

When solo I didn't care about time to heat water too much, but with the need for larger amounts of hot water, and being able to cook and go has me thinking about a lighter pot and windscreen for the Pocket Rocket, or getting Jetboil SOL. Wish the SOL had a little more volume though.

Will check into the Enertia meals.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: JetBoil Sol and Enertia Meals on 09/04/2012 10:39:21 MDT Print View

"Wish the SOL had a little more volume though."

Just get an extra cup. After the water in one is boiling, unscrew it and screw the other one on. Only need one stove for the two cups.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re JetBoil Sol and Enertia Meals on 09/04/2012 11:08:03 MDT Print View

I have a similar love for my Pocket Rocket over alcohol stoves. The companion I generally backpack with uses an alcohol stove and I can have my Mountain House "cooking", a hot drink in my hand, and another .8 liter of water boiled for purification/hot water bottle before she even has water boiled for her meal (3 boils to her 1). I love how lightweight alcohol stoves are but canister stoves aren't that heavy and I love the speed.

I'd never heard of Enertia meals, thanks for the tip on that.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Re JetBoil Sol and Enertia Meals on 09/04/2012 11:34:08 MDT Print View

Amen to Enertia meals, great dinners.
Duane

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: JetBoil and larger volume on 09/04/2012 11:40:22 MDT Print View

" "Wish the SOL had a little more volume though."

Just get an extra cup. After the water in one is boiling, unscrew it and screw the other one on. Only need one stove for the two cups. "

Or get a Sumo pot.