Forum Index » GEAR » New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz

Display Avatars Sort By:
michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Got a small on 09/10/2012 15:25:19 MDT Print View

Because the medium was a little too big, even if the small has less fill it will still be warmer because it fits me almost perfect.

Weighs 6.7 ounces.

Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Pic's please on 09/16/2012 21:04:46 MDT Print View

Could anyone post a pic of the fit? Or at least a description?

I saw the review mentioned at the top of the page, and it looked like it was a fairly baggy fit with short sleeves, slightly surprising as the Nitrous had fairly long sleeves and trim cut.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

fit on 09/16/2012 21:11:51 MDT Print View

I got a medium and it was slightly too big, my small (6.7oz) fits perfect though.

The geometry they used makes it form fitting especially in the shoulders and back. It feels like i'm wearing nothing.

Its not baggy at all but not tight, seems just right for warmth.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Pic's please on 09/16/2012 22:52:35 MDT Print View

Outdoorgearlab.com has a video review. Better than pictures.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/19/2012 17:20:58 MDT Print View

I live near Columbia's headquarters and took a quick look at the non-hooded version in the employee store today. I just tried it on and looked at it, so no comments about performance.

Subjective "feel" test: The fabric feels similar in weight to the Montbell UL Parka. I'm guessing it is hard to tell the difference between the 15d and 7d by feel alone. No idea about long-term durability, but it doesn't feel fragile (although like any UL down jacket, it should probably be treated with care). It does feel like each baffle has more down in it than the MH Nitrous (a comparison MH jacket that's been out a while) and similar to the UL Parka, although the Montbell baffles are larger so the down might spread out a little more.

My only concern with this jacket would be the smaller baffles vs. larger ones. I'm thinking of Will R.'s nice reviews (SOTM?) on UL down jackets last year. It could be possible to feel more cold spots from all the seams. I was inside a building and it's summer, so take that with the proverbial grain of salt.

Definitely a winner compared to the Nitrous and probably equal to UL Parka, if cost isn't factored.

Mike Lansdorp
(M_II_K_E) - F

Locale: James Bay
Re: New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/24/2012 17:53:34 MDT Print View

Is the sizing of this jacket true to fit? more pics would be appreciated.

Edited by M_II_K_E on 09/25/2012 17:28:15 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Fit on 09/25/2012 20:03:38 MDT Print View

Fit is true to fit, nothing odd about it.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
fit on 09/25/2012 20:38:09 MDT Print View

mine should be here tomorrow, ordered my normal large- will let you know how I fare

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Re: english please on 09/25/2012 21:05:43 MDT Print View

>> Also I am reading that the material is 7d x 10d ripstop. So what is it?

70d^2?

Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Re: Re: english please on 09/25/2012 21:11:09 MDT Print View

7d x 10d ripstop would mean the main threads are 7 d and the ripstopping threads (the 'grid') are 10d.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

fit on 09/26/2012 13:39:53 MDT Print View

I'd say the fit is true to size, it's not an slim/athletic fit however

the shoulders/chest fit me just about perfectly (as do the length in the arms)- the lower portion of the jacket is a little boxy (non-tapered), but it has a drawstring hem so you can cinch it up

it's fully featured which is kind of amazing given the weight; consider my large weighs 7.7 oz, my old MB ex-light weighed 6.0 oz, but lacked a hood, lacked pockets (the MH has zippered pockets) and lacked a hem drawstring

anywho nice jacket :)

Joseph R
(Dianoda) - MLife

Locale: Chicago, IL
PSA - MH Ghost Whisperer hooded down jacket on sale @ Campsaver.com - $213.71 shipped lower 48 on 09/27/2012 12:13:54 MDT Print View

Just a friendly PSA to fellow backpackers interested in this jacket: Campsaver currently has it on sale for $213.71 with coupon code cart-5849 (shipping is free in the lower 48 USA). At the time of this post, it looks like most sizes/colors are in stock - S-M-L-XL in black (black/black), capri (blue/blue), radiance (orange/blue), steam (gray/blue).

http://www.campsaver.com/ghost-whisperer-hooded-down-jacket-men-s

I'll post again in gear deals for those that miss it here...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

update on 12/15/2012 20:32:48 MST Print View

thought I'd post a quick update as I've had the jacket for about three months now, pretty darn warm for 7 oz of jacket, my completely unscientific opinion is that it's slightly warmer than my old MB ex-light

I really like having a hood, I also like the fact that it has pockets :) the drawstring hem is very nice to seal out drafts, all jackets should have this feature imo

the shell material is light (as was the ex-light material) so you can't run through the brambles and the briars w/ this jacket (well you could, you'd just end up w/ about 4 oz jacket that wasn't very warm :) )

two thumbs up from me

Bobby Ess
(persianpunisher)
Best in it's class? Not really.. on 01/06/2013 22:20:59 MST Print View

the Patagonia UL Hoody has 98 Grams of 800 fill (3.5 oz) in 9.3 jacket…..(38%, based on your "calculations")….

The MHW Ghost Whisperer is awesome- but good lord, how can y'all live with non adjustable hood? That would drive me nuts in blowing winds! I bet its a great layering piece.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Best in it's class? Not really.. on 01/06/2013 22:49:13 MST Print View

Properly shaped non-adjustable hoods can work just fine, the Nanopuff hoody is a great example, at least on my dome it is. The Golite Bitterroot elastic hood? Not so much.

I'm attracted to the MHW Ghost Whisperer for many of the reasons I grab my nanopuff hoody when heading out the door. Oh, but the price tag, holy...

If you ever feel generous Mike, think of me.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

re on 01/06/2013 23:00:57 MST Print View

The hood is very form fitting, its a tight fit and i dont have a huge head. does not blow around.

Bobby Ess
(persianpunisher)
Just used a friend's Ghost Whispered for a bike ride…. on 01/07/2013 00:08:03 MST Print View

It's a nice jacket, but the hood needs some sort of adjustability, IMO. Without a helmet, it kept blowing off my head during the ~1 mile jaunt to downtown Boulder. Glad it works for some folks.

Cool stuff in pocket feature though- wish more jackets had that.

Very interested as to why MHW decided to use 79 grams of down as opposed to the 98 that Patagonia stuffs in the UL Down Hoody. It seems like an entire ounce of down would certainly add some warmth, wouldn't it not?

Edited by persianpunisher on 01/07/2013 00:10:00 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

hood on 01/07/2013 07:49:17 MST Print View

I haven't been in any hurricane strength wind, but 20 mph winds didn't budge the hood for me (and I have a smaller head- size 7 1/8)- I do agree that a adj hood would a welcomed addition however, probably 1/2 oz at most (my 4 oz Houdini has a nice, light hood adjustment)

yes an additional oz of down would make it warmer, but so would two ounces- I think for most high elevation summer hiking the warmth is more than sufficient and they were definitely shooting for a very lightweight jacket

Eugene- the retail on this jacket is horrendous, the key is not to pay retail :) if and when I draw up my will, I'll put you down for the jacket!

Mike

Bobby Ess
(persianpunisher)
You know, this had me thinking…. on 01/07/2013 16:01:31 MST Print View

I bet MHW is going to come out with this (and the Phantom) in their "water resistant down" next season- albeit, for a few bucks more.

The whole "water resistant down" is going to change the Outdoor Industry, but only time will tell if the durability is up to snuff.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Dry down on 01/07/2013 16:05:59 MST Print View

Except that the resistant down I heard only helps by like %5, which won't change anything.

Give me pure uncoated 850+ fill instead.