Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:23:43 MDT Print View

"So very similar based on the pics and the MH is not considerably more lofty. Actually looks the same. Same price?"

Different jackets, but FWIW:

Patagonia Down Sweater hoodie, men's: 98 grams (3.46 oz) of 800 fill down. 15.2 oz overall weight of jacket. Retails about $50 cheaper than the MH. Depending on size/color, you can find it for $175. Yesterday you could have bought the MH for just over $200. Now the cheapest I'm seeing it, depending on size/color, is $250.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:25:33 MDT Print View

Looks great for a 7 ounce jacket. I'm not as worried about loft as long as it has as much down as MH says it has.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:27:13 MDT Print View

Aha, so the pics of this Patagonia is not the same that Michael had been comparing. At 15 oz it is no comparison in any event.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:34:44 MDT Print View

"Looks great for a 7 ounce jacket. I'm not as worried about loft as long as it has as much down as MH says it has."

Okee dokee.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Feathered Friends Hooded Daybreak Jacket on 09/05/2012 21:15:13 MDT Print View

3.0 oz of 900 fill down, average weight of 9.2 ounces. $275.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
.... on 09/06/2012 02:27:35 MDT Print View

"If that has more loft than the Patagonia, then the Patagonia must be completely flat."

"Are you going to post a pic of your Patagonia or not?"

"Post purchase rationalization?"

"Okee dokee."

David, have you added anything to this conversation by assigning yourself the role of thread curmudgeon? Have you gained anything? Seriously.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: .... on 09/06/2012 04:42:14 MDT Print View

From what I've observed lately, that's Dave's MO. Frankly, I like the idea of a hooded jacket that should be warmer than an R1 hoodie. It may not take sweat like a fleece, but if that's what you're looking for, then you'd be looking in the wrong place. There may be an exception that already been mentioned--hydrophobic down. I can't wait to see what comes next season. MEC already has a light Downtek jacket, but it's not a hoodie.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: .... on 09/06/2012 08:43:51 MDT Print View

"David, have you added anything to this conversation by assigning yourself the role of thread curmudgeon? Have you gained anything? Seriously"

I didn't want to get into a discussion with Eugene as to his comment that had no merit.

To wit, he said that as long as MH says that their jacket has 2.7oz of down, he could care less about the loft. Because he is ignoring the basis for warmth, differential cut, size of jacket, baffle design, etc, I simply said okee dokee.

Now, regarding the post by Michael indicating that the MH had way more loft. I quote, "Compared to the Patagonia UL down hoody its way way way more lofty (850 vs 800 fill?)." This simply needs to be backed up. My comment regarding the picture of the MH having little loft is true. And my connection to the Patagonia being almost completely flat is also true. It would have to if the MH had 'way, way way' more loft.

I don't have a problem with people posting generalizations, but some 'back up' would be nice. Without being able to compare BOTH jackets side by side, how can such comments be made?

Edited by FamilyGuy on 09/06/2012 08:46:30 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Reported on 09/06/2012 08:49:45 MDT Print View

I have been ignoring your needles towards me but you are obviously a troll that won't quit. I reported you to a moderator.

The fact is I had the pata UL hoody and comparing the two I based my opinion off that. What have you contributed? Don't answer that actually just stay away.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Reported on 09/06/2012 09:31:51 MDT Print View

Please, report away. I have done nothing here that is wrong except to state my view on the jacket and ask you to provide back up to your claims.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Reported on 09/06/2012 17:04:35 MDT Print View

Michael, yes, obviously he is trolling. To most of us it's obvious that a jacket with this type of baffling and amount of down isn't going to have as much loft as a MH Absolute Zero. To many of us it's also clear thanks to Richard Nisley and some reviews by BPL that compressed down isn't all that bad. Instead of thinking critically about that aspect, he twisted my words, ie, trolled harder.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Reported on 09/06/2012 17:24:47 MDT Print View

I have corresponded with Richard a few times. Please post a link where he indicates that compressed down isn't all that bad (although realistically, what does that mean?).

You are consistently being shown that you have little experience and knowledge to back up what you say both on these forums and Whiteblaze. In fact, that is probably the ultimate in trolling.

I am calling you out. Back up your claims.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
partially compressed down on 09/06/2012 17:43:52 MDT Print View

found this:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/12505/index.html?skip_to_post=94791#94791

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

New MH ghost whisperer down jacket - quick initial impression on 09/06/2012 17:55:42 MDT Print View

Nice jacket. I gave it the light test and the down was very evenly distributed throughout. Nice sewing job as you would expect. Fits well, though the hood, with no way to cinch it, is a touch loose. You'd definitely feel a good wind all over your head if it was blowing in your face. There is a cinch for the bottom of the jacket.

My medium weighs 7.5 oz. I haven't cut off tags or the extra zipper pull, so the weight could go down a bit (one of the pockets is also the stuff sack, and it's got a zipper on the inside so when the jacket is stuffed in the pocket (which turns it to the outside) you can zip it closed. Nice touch, but if I keep it I won't be using it in that way so I'll get rid of the inner zipper pull).

It's snug around the wrists, but not tight or constricting. The bottom of the zipper to bottom of the pocket is maybe 2 inches, so I wouldn't hike around with things in the pockets and the pockets unzipped. Also, the pockets are right where your hipbelt would be, so the pockets are somewhat useless if you're wearing the jacket and a pack w/hipbelt. (I don't see ever wearing it in this way, but in case you do...).

I've ordered a WM hooded flash as well, and I recently bought a Montbell UL down jacket (no hood), so I'm going to see which of the three I like the best and then get rid of the other two.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: partially compressed down on 09/06/2012 17:56:07 MDT Print View

Thanks for that but it does come to the conclusion that at some point, compressed down has no insulative value (see the part about the layering with a rain jacket). It was stated earlier that compressed down is not all that bad. At which point does it become 'bad?'

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Down on 09/06/2012 18:12:25 MDT Print View

Douglas if yours weighs 7.5 oz then either:

A: yours has more down than mine!
Or
B: our scales are off

What I did was just cut those white tags off on the inside of the jacket. I believe there were like 5 or 6 with wash instructions etcetera. The weight of those would not even register on my scale.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: partially compressed down on 09/06/2012 18:16:05 MDT Print View

agreed, that's why a quilt makes such good sense :)

I think the point I got was that some compression isn't quite the hinderance as maybe first thought, you'd like to hope that the manufacturers know at what point it does start to interfere w/ clo

Doug- that would be a great a review, worthy of an article IMHO anyways

Mike

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Down on 09/06/2012 18:18:42 MDT Print View

"A: yours has more down than mine!
Or
B: our scales are off"

Could be a bit of both. I've got a very cheap scale!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Down on 09/06/2012 18:22:31 MDT Print View

I am just awaiting Doug to sell two of the three for cheap to me.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Down on 09/06/2012 18:44:48 MDT Print View

"I am just awaiting Doug to sell two of the three for cheap to me."

I know, I'm such a gear Slut...