New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
Hadron on 09/03/2012 21:54:14 MDT Print View

+1 for the Hadron. They go on sale for great prices sometimes too (search the forums for past sales). I really like the kangaroo pocket. And saving $200.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor)

Locale: Northwest US
MH Ghost Whisperer on 09/03/2012 22:12:12 MDT Print View

I'm not particularly fond of the quilting on this jacket. It seems to me that it creates a profusion of cold spots. I wonder if the smaller number of larger chambers in the Montbell UL Down Inner Parka might be more efficient.

Taylor B
(tboudreau) - F
Fill Weight Confusion on 09/04/2012 12:52:07 MDT Print View

I'm sorry for the confusion with the fill weight. The 72g is for the Women's Ghost Whisperer Hooded jacket, and 79g, is the correct fill weight for the Men's Ghost Whisperer Hooded, or approximately 2.78oz.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Taylor

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Fill Weight Confusion on 09/04/2012 12:54:29 MDT Print View

Hi Taylor,

I assume you're the Taylor who answered me. Thanks so much for coming on to the forums and clearing that up! We appreciate it.

Take care,

Doug

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
haters hate on 09/05/2012 00:43:38 MDT Print View

but this will be a badass hoody with 2.8 oz of downtek. note the reviewer mentions sleeping in this with the katabatic palisade at 15 degrees. Aaron's ratings are definitely conservative. I've been using the chisos from the beginning of may with just a xenon....back to the thread...

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Down-Jacket-Reviews/Mountain-Hardwear-Ghost-Whisperer-Down-Jacket

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
more hate on 09/05/2012 07:54:04 MDT Print View

there is no unobtainium here ...

the warmth of the a down jacket is simply a function of the quality of down, the amount, the fit and perhaps the baffles, though in this case with this little down im not sure that matters as much

a jacket with 2.8 oz of down wont be any warmer than one with 4 oz of roughly the same fill power all other things being equal ... despite any price or name ..

for the weight it does contain a large % of down at 40% ... whether thats worth the price is up to you

my $50 eb down vest is my most used piece of gear and its still in perfect condition despite wearing it every day ;)

Edited by bearbreeder on 09/05/2012 07:57:40 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
fill on 09/05/2012 16:12:52 MDT Print View

Taylor- I'd also echo the thanks for clearing this up :)

I've been looking at a WM Flash jacket for a couple of years, something w/ a little more "oomph" than my Ex-Lite and a hood, I can never find one on sale- the Whisperer looks like it specs out very close (even a little lighter) and I'm sure there will be some sales here and there- MSRP they come out the same, but it's very tough to find WM on sale, no so w/ MH

Mike

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
came in mail on 09/05/2012 16:33:10 MDT Print View

Compared to the Patagonia UL down hoody its way way way more lofty (850 vs 800 fill?). Its actually more puffy than I was thinking, but not super puffy obv. The Fit is a little more relaxed, so dont size up.

One thing I like is the simplicity of the hem cinch around the waist, on the right its a single pull and its shockcorded so it stretches. Also I like the baffles, they seem to work well. Now I just need to go camping at high elevation where its actually cold!

After I trimmed of the tags (.08oz?) my medium stuffed into its own pocket weighs 7.2oz.gvnvgngb

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: came in mail on 09/05/2012 16:43:16 MDT Print View

If that has more loft than the Patagonia, then the Patagonia must be completely flat.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

hood on 09/05/2012 16:44:45 MDT Print View

would you mind commenting on the fit of the hood? does it have any adj? also any inside storage pockets?

thanks

michael levi
(M.L) - F

questions on 09/05/2012 16:48:59 MDT Print View

I am not here to try and sell it to you, if you dont like it then good for you.

The fit of the hood is pretty tight once zipped up I think, it has elastic and I think it will stay on prettygood. Just 2 hand pockets.

Edited by M.L on 09/05/2012 16:50:22 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: questions on 09/05/2012 17:13:03 MDT Print View

Post purchase rationalization?

Seriously though, there is hardly any loft. Since you say the Patagonia has much less loft could you post a picture of your Patagonia? The BPL Cocoon Hoody at 9.9 oz in XL has more visible loft and it has synthetic insulation. I wonder if that is why the MH is so light, apart from the wafer thin fabric...it has very littl fill.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

fill on 09/05/2012 17:24:32 MDT Print View

thanks

it has about the same fill as the WM Flash, a jacket that has received numerous high marks from many of the reviewers from this site (and other sites)

I don't think this is intended as a "winter" jacket, like the MB Ex-Lite and UL Parka, WM Flash (others)- rather a light, compact insulating layer for "summer"- w/ near 3 oz of 850 fill- it should fill that niche quite well

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: fill on 09/05/2012 18:24:32 MDT Print View

I looked at the hooded flash this is what I got.
Also the MB UL parka,

Average Total Weight 9 oz.
Average Fill Weight 3 oz.

The MH ghost has like .25 less fill.

Heres more specs:

Montbell UL Down Parka (2.5 / 9.5 / 26%)
Western Mountaineering Hooded Flash (3 / 9 / 33%)
Montbell Alpine Light Parka (4.3 / 15 / 29%)
Marmot Ama Dablam (4.4 / 19 / 23%)
Rab Microlite Alpine (5 / 14 / 36%)
Golite Bitterroot (5.3 / 13 / 41%)
Golite Roan Plateau (5.8 / 19 / 31%)
Western Mountaineering Meltdown (6.5 / 17 / 38%)
Rab Neutrino Endurance (8 / 22 / 36%)
Rab Infinity (7 / 16 / 44%)

Edited by M.L on 09/05/2012 18:31:26 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

fill on 09/05/2012 18:34:45 MDT Print View

So the Ghost for its class (UL) prettymuch crushes everything else in weight vs fill weight.

2.8 / 7.2 = %39

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: fill on 09/05/2012 19:04:21 MDT Print View

Are you going to post a pic of your Patagonia or not?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re: fill on 09/05/2012 19:07:03 MDT Print View

I had one for a few hours and returned it.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:04:24 MDT Print View

I know you were asking Michael but if you really are interested, this is what the Patagonia down sweater hoodie looks like for thickness. It is rather flat- I measured it's loft at 1" on average across the jacket when laid out as seen here. The bottom of the jacket puffs up a lot- that's not where I was measuring. I was measuring various spots across the body and sleeves. This is brand new and only worn once so far so it hasn't lost any loft.Patagonia down sweater hoodie

Edited by EagleRiverDee on 09/05/2012 20:07:04 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:09:04 MDT Print View

So very similar based on the pics and the MH is not considerably more lofty. Actually looks the same. Same price?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:11:15 MDT Print View

Keep in mind the orange jacket weighs 15.2 oz.