Forum Index » GEAR » New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz

Display Avatars Sort By:
michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/02/2012 17:18:21 MDT Print View

"Weighing in at just over 7 ounces for a medium, our 7 denier ripstop nylon fabric and super compressible 850-fill down..."

7.5 oz for medium.

Looks like this is new for fall 2012 and the retail is still at $299. But this thing looks good for an uberlight insulation piece.

Talk me out of it..fbcd

Edited by M.L on 09/02/2012 17:19:27 MDT.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
7d on 09/02/2012 17:36:49 MDT Print View

It looks great, but I'm not sure about 7d fabric under a pair of pack straps.

I noticed certain makers have produced some 7d stuff, and have backed off of it lately.
Gotta be a reason.

But I love the way it looks, and it is very light. If you can care for it well, it could be a very nice piece.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/02/2012 17:40:19 MDT Print View

What's the fill weight?

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/02/2012 18:50:19 MDT Print View

That is seriously light. Half the weight of my Patagonia down sweater hoodie.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/02/2012 18:52:40 MDT Print View

I have a few items in 7d and it's does seem fragile.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
talk me out of it. on 09/02/2012 19:23:26 MDT Print View

Look at the stoic hadron...8oz, currently $125 and ugly as sin.
http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-hadron-down-anorak-mens

I have never been in cold enough weather to require wearing insulation while moving (down to ~15F, daytime.) If I was worried about about being cold when moving I would bring a fleece vest. Also, if you had to wear an insulating garment on the move then I would do so under a rain jacket.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: talk me out of it. on 09/02/2012 20:29:29 MDT Print View

The Hadron is a great piece but the colours are a bit mad.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
fill on 09/02/2012 20:31:03 MDT Print View

fill weight will tell the story, not worried about 7D- I've never worn a down jacket under my pack straps. down makes a lousy layer for anything on the move, it however makes a great insulating layer for anything not on the move (including in the sleeping bag)

I have a Montbell ex-light that is 7D and have used it for the last three years w/o incident, it has 1.8 oz of fill (jacket in size L weighs 6.2 oz)

if the ghost has more fill- I'd consider it, I'd like to have a hood

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: fill on 09/02/2012 20:34:02 MDT Print View

I've sent them an email asking about fill weight. Hope to hear back by Tuesday.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
downtek version on the way on 09/03/2012 03:43:12 MDT Print View

i'd wait until spring when I think they are introducing a downtek version.

http://www.gorp.com/gear-reviews/category/jackets/insulated-jackets/

This one could actually replace my beloved xenon (hurts my heart to write that;) Hard to settle on gear when they keep coming up with more cool sh*t.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
settle on 09/03/2012 05:34:55 MDT Print View

ignore all the cool shiet ... just go out and have fun ... didnt need it years ago, dont need it now ;)

michael levi
(M.L) - F

sale on 09/03/2012 10:34:57 MDT Print View

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/9714/Mountain-Hardwear-Ghost-Whisperer-Hooded-Down-Jacket-Mens.html

ends today, its 225 free shipping sale ends today... i bought one

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: fill on 09/03/2012 15:29:13 MDT Print View

According to MH (for the hooded version): "79g or 2.78oz of 850-fill down", and center back length is 27"

Montbell UL Down Parka: 9 oz., 2.5 oz fill weight of 800-fill down, center back length is 27.6"

Best price on the MH with hood: $203 with free shipping

Best price on the Montbell: $139 with free shipping

Edited by idester on 09/03/2012 15:51:47 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

english please on 09/03/2012 15:34:37 MDT Print View

Is that good or bad compared to the Montbell UL hoody, or Patagucci UL hoody, others?

Also I am reading that the material is 7d x 10d ripstop. So what is it?

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
ingrish on 09/03/2012 15:42:41 MDT Print View

it basically means that youre paying $110 more for 0.28 oz more down of a 50 higher fill and saving 2.5 oz, but have a shell half as thick ... vs a montbell

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: fill on 09/03/2012 18:20:03 MDT Print View

funny- they emailed me back w/ 2.53 oz of fill for the hooded Whisperer, wonder which one is correct??????

for comparison the Western Mountaineering hooded Flash has 3.0 oz of fill (850)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: fill on 09/03/2012 19:02:40 MDT Print View

Funny indeed! Taylor wrote me that it had 79 grams of fill. A bit of a worry when they can't agree in their own customer service dept.!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: fill on 09/03/2012 20:36:15 MDT Print View

I wonder if I was quoted the weight for the jacket by mistake, the difference could probably account for the hood fill

michael levi
(M.L) - F

who knows on 09/03/2012 20:41:21 MDT Print View

Really what it will come down to is fit, I do like that it has a hem waist cinch, 2 pockets, and thats it though. But shoots, my 150g merino longsleeve shirt weighs 6 ounces, and this 7.5...

michael levi
(M.L) - F

baffles on 09/03/2012 20:43:21 MDT Print View

I really like the construction the baffles though, and the fact that it folds into its own pocket. Cant wait! This will actually be my first down jacket so ya..

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
Hadron on 09/03/2012 21:54:14 MDT Print View

+1 for the Hadron. They go on sale for great prices sometimes too (search the forums for past sales). I really like the kangaroo pocket. And saving $200.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
MH Ghost Whisperer on 09/03/2012 22:12:12 MDT Print View

I'm not particularly fond of the quilting on this jacket. It seems to me that it creates a profusion of cold spots. I wonder if the smaller number of larger chambers in the Montbell UL Down Inner Parka might be more efficient.

Taylor B
(tboudreau) - F
Fill Weight Confusion on 09/04/2012 12:52:07 MDT Print View

I'm sorry for the confusion with the fill weight. The 72g is for the Women's Ghost Whisperer Hooded jacket, and 79g, is the correct fill weight for the Men's Ghost Whisperer Hooded, or approximately 2.78oz.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Taylor

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Fill Weight Confusion on 09/04/2012 12:54:29 MDT Print View

Hi Taylor,

I assume you're the Taylor who answered me. Thanks so much for coming on to the forums and clearing that up! We appreciate it.

Take care,

Doug

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

haters hate on 09/05/2012 00:43:38 MDT Print View

but this will be a badass hoody with 2.8 oz of downtek. note the reviewer mentions sleeping in this with the katabatic palisade at 15 degrees. Aaron's ratings are definitely conservative. I've been using the chisos from the beginning of may with just a xenon....back to the thread...

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Down-Jacket-Reviews/Mountain-Hardwear-Ghost-Whisperer-Down-Jacket

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
more hate on 09/05/2012 07:54:04 MDT Print View

there is no unobtainium here ...

the warmth of the a down jacket is simply a function of the quality of down, the amount, the fit and perhaps the baffles, though in this case with this little down im not sure that matters as much

a jacket with 2.8 oz of down wont be any warmer than one with 4 oz of roughly the same fill power all other things being equal ... despite any price or name ..

for the weight it does contain a large % of down at 40% ... whether thats worth the price is up to you

my $50 eb down vest is my most used piece of gear and its still in perfect condition despite wearing it every day ;)

Edited by bearbreeder on 09/05/2012 07:57:40 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

fill on 09/05/2012 16:12:52 MDT Print View

Taylor- I'd also echo the thanks for clearing this up :)

I've been looking at a WM Flash jacket for a couple of years, something w/ a little more "oomph" than my Ex-Lite and a hood, I can never find one on sale- the Whisperer looks like it specs out very close (even a little lighter) and I'm sure there will be some sales here and there- MSRP they come out the same, but it's very tough to find WM on sale, no so w/ MH

Mike

michael levi
(M.L) - F

came in mail on 09/05/2012 16:33:10 MDT Print View

Compared to the Patagonia UL down hoody its way way way more lofty (850 vs 800 fill?). Its actually more puffy than I was thinking, but not super puffy obv. The Fit is a little more relaxed, so dont size up.

One thing I like is the simplicity of the hem cinch around the waist, on the right its a single pull and its shockcorded so it stretches. Also I like the baffles, they seem to work well. Now I just need to go camping at high elevation where its actually cold!

After I trimmed of the tags (.08oz?) my medium stuffed into its own pocket weighs 7.2oz.gvnvgngb

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: came in mail on 09/05/2012 16:43:16 MDT Print View

If that has more loft than the Patagonia, then the Patagonia must be completely flat.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

hood on 09/05/2012 16:44:45 MDT Print View

would you mind commenting on the fit of the hood? does it have any adj? also any inside storage pockets?

thanks

michael levi
(M.L) - F

questions on 09/05/2012 16:48:59 MDT Print View

I am not here to try and sell it to you, if you dont like it then good for you.

The fit of the hood is pretty tight once zipped up I think, it has elastic and I think it will stay on prettygood. Just 2 hand pockets.

Edited by M.L on 09/05/2012 16:50:22 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: questions on 09/05/2012 17:13:03 MDT Print View

Post purchase rationalization?

Seriously though, there is hardly any loft. Since you say the Patagonia has much less loft could you post a picture of your Patagonia? The BPL Cocoon Hoody at 9.9 oz in XL has more visible loft and it has synthetic insulation. I wonder if that is why the MH is so light, apart from the wafer thin fabric...it has very littl fill.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

fill on 09/05/2012 17:24:32 MDT Print View

thanks

it has about the same fill as the WM Flash, a jacket that has received numerous high marks from many of the reviewers from this site (and other sites)

I don't think this is intended as a "winter" jacket, like the MB Ex-Lite and UL Parka, WM Flash (others)- rather a light, compact insulating layer for "summer"- w/ near 3 oz of 850 fill- it should fill that niche quite well

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: fill on 09/05/2012 18:24:32 MDT Print View

I looked at the hooded flash this is what I got.
Also the MB UL parka,

Average Total Weight 9 oz.
Average Fill Weight 3 oz.

The MH ghost has like .25 less fill.

Heres more specs:

Montbell UL Down Parka (2.5 / 9.5 / 26%)
Western Mountaineering Hooded Flash (3 / 9 / 33%)
Montbell Alpine Light Parka (4.3 / 15 / 29%)
Marmot Ama Dablam (4.4 / 19 / 23%)
Rab Microlite Alpine (5 / 14 / 36%)
Golite Bitterroot (5.3 / 13 / 41%)
Golite Roan Plateau (5.8 / 19 / 31%)
Western Mountaineering Meltdown (6.5 / 17 / 38%)
Rab Neutrino Endurance (8 / 22 / 36%)
Rab Infinity (7 / 16 / 44%)

Edited by M.L on 09/05/2012 18:31:26 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

fill on 09/05/2012 18:34:45 MDT Print View

So the Ghost for its class (UL) prettymuch crushes everything else in weight vs fill weight.

2.8 / 7.2 = %39

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: fill on 09/05/2012 19:04:21 MDT Print View

Are you going to post a pic of your Patagonia or not?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re: fill on 09/05/2012 19:07:03 MDT Print View

I had one for a few hours and returned it.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:04:24 MDT Print View

I know you were asking Michael but if you really are interested, this is what the Patagonia down sweater hoodie looks like for thickness. It is rather flat- I measured it's loft at 1" on average across the jacket when laid out as seen here. The bottom of the jacket puffs up a lot- that's not where I was measuring. I was measuring various spots across the body and sleeves. This is brand new and only worn once so far so it hasn't lost any loft.Patagonia down sweater hoodie

Edited by EagleRiverDee on 09/05/2012 20:07:04 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:09:04 MDT Print View

So very similar based on the pics and the MH is not considerably more lofty. Actually looks the same. Same price?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:11:15 MDT Print View

Keep in mind the orange jacket weighs 15.2 oz.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:23:43 MDT Print View

"So very similar based on the pics and the MH is not considerably more lofty. Actually looks the same. Same price?"

Different jackets, but FWIW:

Patagonia Down Sweater hoodie, men's: 98 grams (3.46 oz) of 800 fill down. 15.2 oz overall weight of jacket. Retails about $50 cheaper than the MH. Depending on size/color, you can find it for $175. Yesterday you could have bought the MH for just over $200. Now the cheapest I'm seeing it, depending on size/color, is $250.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:25:33 MDT Print View

Looks great for a 7 ounce jacket. I'm not as worried about loft as long as it has as much down as MH says it has.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:27:13 MDT Print View

Aha, so the pics of this Patagonia is not the same that Michael had been comparing. At 15 oz it is no comparison in any event.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/05/2012 20:34:44 MDT Print View

"Looks great for a 7 ounce jacket. I'm not as worried about loft as long as it has as much down as MH says it has."

Okee dokee.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Colorado
Feathered Friends Hooded Daybreak Jacket on 09/05/2012 21:15:13 MDT Print View

3.0 oz of 900 fill down, average weight of 9.2 ounces. $275.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

.... on 09/06/2012 02:27:35 MDT Print View

"If that has more loft than the Patagonia, then the Patagonia must be completely flat."

"Are you going to post a pic of your Patagonia or not?"

"Post purchase rationalization?"

"Okee dokee."

David, have you added anything to this conversation by assigning yourself the role of thread curmudgeon? Have you gained anything? Seriously.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: .... on 09/06/2012 04:42:14 MDT Print View

From what I've observed lately, that's Dave's MO. Frankly, I like the idea of a hooded jacket that should be warmer than an R1 hoodie. It may not take sweat like a fleece, but if that's what you're looking for, then you'd be looking in the wrong place. There may be an exception that already been mentioned--hydrophobic down. I can't wait to see what comes next season. MEC already has a light Downtek jacket, but it's not a hoodie.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: .... on 09/06/2012 08:43:51 MDT Print View

"David, have you added anything to this conversation by assigning yourself the role of thread curmudgeon? Have you gained anything? Seriously"

I didn't want to get into a discussion with Eugene as to his comment that had no merit.

To wit, he said that as long as MH says that their jacket has 2.7oz of down, he could care less about the loft. Because he is ignoring the basis for warmth, differential cut, size of jacket, baffle design, etc, I simply said okee dokee.

Now, regarding the post by Michael indicating that the MH had way more loft. I quote, "Compared to the Patagonia UL down hoody its way way way more lofty (850 vs 800 fill?)." This simply needs to be backed up. My comment regarding the picture of the MH having little loft is true. And my connection to the Patagonia being almost completely flat is also true. It would have to if the MH had 'way, way way' more loft.

I don't have a problem with people posting generalizations, but some 'back up' would be nice. Without being able to compare BOTH jackets side by side, how can such comments be made?

Edited by FamilyGuy on 09/06/2012 08:46:30 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Reported on 09/06/2012 08:49:45 MDT Print View

I have been ignoring your needles towards me but you are obviously a troll that won't quit. I reported you to a moderator.

The fact is I had the pata UL hoody and comparing the two I based my opinion off that. What have you contributed? Don't answer that actually just stay away.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Reported on 09/06/2012 09:31:51 MDT Print View

Please, report away. I have done nothing here that is wrong except to state my view on the jacket and ask you to provide back up to your claims.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Reported on 09/06/2012 17:04:35 MDT Print View

Michael, yes, obviously he is trolling. To most of us it's obvious that a jacket with this type of baffling and amount of down isn't going to have as much loft as a MH Absolute Zero. To many of us it's also clear thanks to Richard Nisley and some reviews by BPL that compressed down isn't all that bad. Instead of thinking critically about that aspect, he twisted my words, ie, trolled harder.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Reported on 09/06/2012 17:24:47 MDT Print View

I have corresponded with Richard a few times. Please post a link where he indicates that compressed down isn't all that bad (although realistically, what does that mean?).

You are consistently being shown that you have little experience and knowledge to back up what you say both on these forums and Whiteblaze. In fact, that is probably the ultimate in trolling.

I am calling you out. Back up your claims.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

partially compressed down on 09/06/2012 17:43:52 MDT Print View

found this:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/12505/index.html?skip_to_post=94791#94791

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

New MH ghost whisperer down jacket - quick initial impression on 09/06/2012 17:55:42 MDT Print View

Nice jacket. I gave it the light test and the down was very evenly distributed throughout. Nice sewing job as you would expect. Fits well, though the hood, with no way to cinch it, is a touch loose. You'd definitely feel a good wind all over your head if it was blowing in your face. There is a cinch for the bottom of the jacket.

My medium weighs 7.5 oz. I haven't cut off tags or the extra zipper pull, so the weight could go down a bit (one of the pockets is also the stuff sack, and it's got a zipper on the inside so when the jacket is stuffed in the pocket (which turns it to the outside) you can zip it closed. Nice touch, but if I keep it I won't be using it in that way so I'll get rid of the inner zipper pull).

It's snug around the wrists, but not tight or constricting. The bottom of the zipper to bottom of the pocket is maybe 2 inches, so I wouldn't hike around with things in the pockets and the pockets unzipped. Also, the pockets are right where your hipbelt would be, so the pockets are somewhat useless if you're wearing the jacket and a pack w/hipbelt. (I don't see ever wearing it in this way, but in case you do...).

I've ordered a WM hooded flash as well, and I recently bought a Montbell UL down jacket (no hood), so I'm going to see which of the three I like the best and then get rid of the other two.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: partially compressed down on 09/06/2012 17:56:07 MDT Print View

Thanks for that but it does come to the conclusion that at some point, compressed down has no insulative value (see the part about the layering with a rain jacket). It was stated earlier that compressed down is not all that bad. At which point does it become 'bad?'

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Down on 09/06/2012 18:12:25 MDT Print View

Douglas if yours weighs 7.5 oz then either:

A: yours has more down than mine!
Or
B: our scales are off

What I did was just cut those white tags off on the inside of the jacket. I believe there were like 5 or 6 with wash instructions etcetera. The weight of those would not even register on my scale.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: partially compressed down on 09/06/2012 18:16:05 MDT Print View

agreed, that's why a quilt makes such good sense :)

I think the point I got was that some compression isn't quite the hinderance as maybe first thought, you'd like to hope that the manufacturers know at what point it does start to interfere w/ clo

Doug- that would be a great a review, worthy of an article IMHO anyways

Mike

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Down on 09/06/2012 18:18:42 MDT Print View

"A: yours has more down than mine!
Or
B: our scales are off"

Could be a bit of both. I've got a very cheap scale!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Down on 09/06/2012 18:22:31 MDT Print View

I am just awaiting Doug to sell two of the three for cheap to me.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Down on 09/06/2012 18:44:48 MDT Print View

"I am just awaiting Doug to sell two of the three for cheap to me."

I know, I'm such a gear Slut...

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Got a small on 09/10/2012 15:25:19 MDT Print View

Because the medium was a little too big, even if the small has less fill it will still be warmer because it fits me almost perfect.

Weighs 6.7 ounces.

Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Pic's please on 09/16/2012 21:04:46 MDT Print View

Could anyone post a pic of the fit? Or at least a description?

I saw the review mentioned at the top of the page, and it looked like it was a fairly baggy fit with short sleeves, slightly surprising as the Nitrous had fairly long sleeves and trim cut.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

fit on 09/16/2012 21:11:51 MDT Print View

I got a medium and it was slightly too big, my small (6.7oz) fits perfect though.

The geometry they used makes it form fitting especially in the shoulders and back. It feels like i'm wearing nothing.

Its not baggy at all but not tight, seems just right for warmth.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Pic's please on 09/16/2012 22:52:35 MDT Print View

Outdoorgearlab.com has a video review. Better than pictures.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/19/2012 17:20:58 MDT Print View

I live near Columbia's headquarters and took a quick look at the non-hooded version in the employee store today. I just tried it on and looked at it, so no comments about performance.

Subjective "feel" test: The fabric feels similar in weight to the Montbell UL Parka. I'm guessing it is hard to tell the difference between the 15d and 7d by feel alone. No idea about long-term durability, but it doesn't feel fragile (although like any UL down jacket, it should probably be treated with care). It does feel like each baffle has more down in it than the MH Nitrous (a comparison MH jacket that's been out a while) and similar to the UL Parka, although the Montbell baffles are larger so the down might spread out a little more.

My only concern with this jacket would be the smaller baffles vs. larger ones. I'm thinking of Will R.'s nice reviews (SOTM?) on UL down jackets last year. It could be possible to feel more cold spots from all the seams. I was inside a building and it's summer, so take that with the proverbial grain of salt.

Definitely a winner compared to the Nitrous and probably equal to UL Parka, if cost isn't factored.

Mike Lansdorp
(M_II_K_E) - F

Locale: James Bay
Re: New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz on 09/24/2012 17:53:34 MDT Print View

Is the sizing of this jacket true to fit? more pics would be appreciated.

Edited by M_II_K_E on 09/25/2012 17:28:15 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Fit on 09/25/2012 20:03:38 MDT Print View

Fit is true to fit, nothing odd about it.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

fit on 09/25/2012 20:38:09 MDT Print View

mine should be here tomorrow, ordered my normal large- will let you know how I fare

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Re: english please on 09/25/2012 21:05:43 MDT Print View

>> Also I am reading that the material is 7d x 10d ripstop. So what is it?

70d^2?

Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Re: Re: english please on 09/25/2012 21:11:09 MDT Print View

7d x 10d ripstop would mean the main threads are 7 d and the ripstopping threads (the 'grid') are 10d.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

fit on 09/26/2012 13:39:53 MDT Print View

I'd say the fit is true to size, it's not an slim/athletic fit however

the shoulders/chest fit me just about perfectly (as do the length in the arms)- the lower portion of the jacket is a little boxy (non-tapered), but it has a drawstring hem so you can cinch it up

it's fully featured which is kind of amazing given the weight; consider my large weighs 7.7 oz, my old MB ex-light weighed 6.0 oz, but lacked a hood, lacked pockets (the MH has zippered pockets) and lacked a hem drawstring

anywho nice jacket :)

Joseph R
(Dianoda) - MLife

Locale: Chicago, IL
PSA - MH Ghost Whisperer hooded down jacket on sale @ Campsaver.com - $213.71 shipped lower 48 on 09/27/2012 12:13:54 MDT Print View

Just a friendly PSA to fellow backpackers interested in this jacket: Campsaver currently has it on sale for $213.71 with coupon code cart-5849 (shipping is free in the lower 48 USA). At the time of this post, it looks like most sizes/colors are in stock - S-M-L-XL in black (black/black), capri (blue/blue), radiance (orange/blue), steam (gray/blue).

http://www.campsaver.com/ghost-whisperer-hooded-down-jacket-men-s

I'll post again in gear deals for those that miss it here...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

update on 12/15/2012 20:32:48 MST Print View

thought I'd post a quick update as I've had the jacket for about three months now, pretty darn warm for 7 oz of jacket, my completely unscientific opinion is that it's slightly warmer than my old MB ex-light

I really like having a hood, I also like the fact that it has pockets :) the drawstring hem is very nice to seal out drafts, all jackets should have this feature imo

the shell material is light (as was the ex-light material) so you can't run through the brambles and the briars w/ this jacket (well you could, you'd just end up w/ about 4 oz jacket that wasn't very warm :) )

two thumbs up from me

Bobby Ess
(persianpunisher) - F
Best in it's class? Not really.. on 01/06/2013 22:20:59 MST Print View

the Patagonia UL Hoody has 98 Grams of 800 fill (3.5 oz) in 9.3 jacket…..(38%, based on your "calculations")….

The MHW Ghost Whisperer is awesome- but good lord, how can y'all live with non adjustable hood? That would drive me nuts in blowing winds! I bet its a great layering piece.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Best in it's class? Not really.. on 01/06/2013 22:49:13 MST Print View

Properly shaped non-adjustable hoods can work just fine, the Nanopuff hoody is a great example, at least on my dome it is. The Golite Bitterroot elastic hood? Not so much.

I'm attracted to the MHW Ghost Whisperer for many of the reasons I grab my nanopuff hoody when heading out the door. Oh, but the price tag, holy...

If you ever feel generous Mike, think of me.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

re on 01/06/2013 23:00:57 MST Print View

The hood is very form fitting, its a tight fit and i dont have a huge head. does not blow around.

Bobby Ess
(persianpunisher) - F
Just used a friend's Ghost Whispered for a bike ride…. on 01/07/2013 00:08:03 MST Print View

It's a nice jacket, but the hood needs some sort of adjustability, IMO. Without a helmet, it kept blowing off my head during the ~1 mile jaunt to downtown Boulder. Glad it works for some folks.

Cool stuff in pocket feature though- wish more jackets had that.

Very interested as to why MHW decided to use 79 grams of down as opposed to the 98 that Patagonia stuffs in the UL Down Hoody. It seems like an entire ounce of down would certainly add some warmth, wouldn't it not?

Edited by persianpunisher on 01/07/2013 00:10:00 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

hood on 01/07/2013 07:49:17 MST Print View

I haven't been in any hurricane strength wind, but 20 mph winds didn't budge the hood for me (and I have a smaller head- size 7 1/8)- I do agree that a adj hood would a welcomed addition however, probably 1/2 oz at most (my 4 oz Houdini has a nice, light hood adjustment)

yes an additional oz of down would make it warmer, but so would two ounces- I think for most high elevation summer hiking the warmth is more than sufficient and they were definitely shooting for a very lightweight jacket

Eugene- the retail on this jacket is horrendous, the key is not to pay retail :) if and when I draw up my will, I'll put you down for the jacket!

Mike

Bobby Ess
(persianpunisher) - F
You know, this had me thinking…. on 01/07/2013 16:01:31 MST Print View

I bet MHW is going to come out with this (and the Phantom) in their "water resistant down" next season- albeit, for a few bucks more.

The whole "water resistant down" is going to change the Outdoor Industry, but only time will tell if the durability is up to snuff.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Dry down on 01/07/2013 16:05:59 MST Print View

Except that the resistant down I heard only helps by like %5, which won't change anything.

Give me pure uncoated 850+ fill instead.

Bobby Ess
(persianpunisher) - F
Re: Dry down on 01/07/2013 16:25:42 MST Print View

Michael, the stuff I saw at OR this past summer (from numerous manufacturers) retained loft by ~30%.

I humbly suggest doing a bit of homework on the technology, as many do on this forum, before making some of the generalizations that you have made on this thread.

I've been corrected by far too many to count on this forum and appreciate every bit of it, as it helps educate me on the obscurities of outerwear, gear, backpacking light, etc.

We are all looking for accurate information to HELP best inform us on our gear decisions, let's keep it that way. :)

Cheers!

Edited by persianpunisher on 01/07/2013 16:28:48 MST.