Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » MYOG 6 gram per pair camp sandals

Display Avatars Sort By:
lew stookey
(tpkanu) - F
MYOG 6 gram per pair camp sandals on 09/02/2012 15:25:50 MDT Print View

I was visiting my local coffee shop and I noticed somebody threw a bunch of trash on the ground. I bent over to pick it up and, lo and behold, I found a pair of "pedicure" sandals that I had heard about in this thread (Russell Jacobie - 2nd page):

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=46709&startat=20

Here is what the pedicure sandals look like:

Pedicure sandal flat

Here is what they look like when ready to wear:

Pedicure sandal folded

Unfortunately, the found sandals were too small (and too heavy at 15 grams per pair!).

So I fired up my copier and enlarged them to 110%. (I had to use 2 copies and tape them together, since the enlargement went off the screen initially.) Here is what the copy looks like:

Enlarged copy of pedicure sandal

I recently completed installing some laminate flooring and I had a roll of the 1/16" white underlayment foam. This foam is tough. I traced the pattern on this foam with a sharpie pen and used an exacto knife to cut the sandals out. The little curly cues on the ends of the interior cuts are important to prevent tearing of the foam. The little slit on the back tab is vital - they won't fold without it.

1/16" foam underlayment sandal layout

Notice that one side of the sandal is for the toes and one side is for the big toe. You can cut out 2 identical sandals and then flip one over to make the pair.

1/16" foam underlayment sandals complete

True, you might not be the envy of your friends, but for 6 grams a pair (.2 of an ounce), what do you expect!

Now the midnight call of nature will be a little more convenient; no more pine needles and forest floor droppings in the tent and no need to carry a heavy pair of camp shoes/sandals.

In true multiuse fashion, flatten the sandals and wrap them around your mug to keep your food warm!

Happy Trails

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: MYOG 6 gram per pair camp sandals on 09/02/2012 19:44:42 MDT Print View

That foam should last, especially for the price! Nice job.