Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Fanny/Waist pack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Fanny/Waist pack on 09/01/2012 21:23:53 MDT Print View

I'm looking for a long and fairly narrow lightweight waist pack. No frills, just one pocket with some webbing for a belt. Something I can throw in my pack and use to put a bit of food and a .5 or 1 liter soft platy bottle in. As you can imagine, I want it to be very light. I'll use if for adventuring away from camp for a few hours or a half a day or what ever. Getting tired of emptying out my pack to do this. Plus the weight focused around my waist will leave my back open so I won't have a sweaty pack against it.

I looked around REI for this but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

William Kim
(DocWilly77) - F
How about this on 09/01/2012 23:48:55 MDT Print View

Gossamer Gear has a waist pack called the Hipster, under Pack accessories. 1.9 oz and $15.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Pretty cool on 09/02/2012 00:07:39 MDT Print View

10 x 6 x 1 is a good size, but the Platy bottles are 11" long or more. Not sure if I could just cram it in there or not. But definitely up for thought. Thanks for sharing.

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
Probably a Silly Question... on 09/02/2012 04:18:19 MDT Print View

...but is your pack's waist belt detachable? If so, simply add a stuff sack with an attachment method to your pack. As low as ~1 oz and multi-use if done right.

Just a thought (and perhaps, one that doesn't apply).

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
_ on 09/02/2012 11:32:55 MDT Print View

Warren, does your pack have a detachable "brain" lid? If so it is really easy to rig a 1" webbing waistbelt for it and convert it into a hip sack.

I hike with the Granite Gear Air Swift: . I think it would accomodate your 1L Platy plus a few essentials.

Leigh Baker

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
GG Hipster on 09/02/2012 14:02:02 MDT Print View

I've go one I use for a ditch kit. No way to get a liter of water in it, maybe a half liter,I don't have a .5 l to try, but then no room for anything else. Probably not a viable solution.

Aaron W
(ADW245) - MLife

Locale: Chula Vista
Fanny/Waist pack on 09/02/2012 14:14:22 MDT Print View

Inov8 makes one and check out the reviewed Zpacks multi pack. But for the weight have you considered the GG Riksak.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Thanks all on 09/02/2012 17:01:39 MDT Print View

John A. - No, the wings of the belt are sewn to the pack. Good idea though.

James A. - Yep, it can be detached but it is rather a boxy shape and will probably flop around allot. I'll give it a look-see. Another reasonable idea.

Leigh - thanks for speaking up on the Hipster. I used to have but can't find a long/narrow pack that would probably work. Maybe I should keep looking.

Aaron - I'll look at the Innov8 site. Edit: the Race 3 looks pretty cool. And at +/- $20 isn't too bad. It says it is approximately 12" wide. I've seen the Zpacks offering but it seems kind of a funny shape. I like the RikSak, but it does cover the back.

You've all offered some items in and outside the box. Now I've got a more options to consider. Thank you all. -And I'm still open to more suggestions.

Edited by WarrenGreer on 09/02/2012 17:21:34 MDT.

Nick Brown

Locale: Highland Park
Fanny/Waist pack on 09/02/2012 17:14:29 MDT Print View

How about using a spare coat or mid layer. Roll the contents you want to carry in the coat/ mid layer and use its pockets. Tie the sleeves around your waist like you might around town or use some spare line for a shelter either around your waist or over the shoulders like suspenders. For an example check this link to a blanket roll and modify it as necessary. This way if you are caught away from camp you'd have an extra article of clothing.

Hope this helps.

William Johnson
Rivendell Mountain Works on 09/03/2012 01:19:28 MDT Print View

How about the Rivendell Mountain Works, "Hiphugger?"

Rivendell Pack Family

The pack is along the bottom of the picture.

Hip Hugger - Pack Cloth

Size: 875 cubic in.

Weight: 9.7 oz

Price: $44

Hip Hugger - Cordura

Size: 875 cubic in.

Weight: 12.4 oz

Price: $47.50

Edited for weight/size as of Sept. 3, 2012.

Edited by Steamboat_Willie on 09/03/2012 01:21:56 MDT.