Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » What's With the UL A-Z Videos?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
What's With the UL A-Z Videos? on 09/01/2012 14:14:52 MDT Print View

It has been quite awhile since there were any additions to the "UL A-Z" video series developed by BPL Member Hendrik Morkel, sponsored by Backpacking Light, and accessible only to BPL members.

Is this project still running or has it been discontinued?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: What's With the UL A-Z Videos? on 09/01/2012 14:45:36 MDT Print View

Still going Bob. Hendrik finished another one a little while ago but Ryan is slow to upload it to the site. I thought they would have been produced a little faster. But if the quality is good I can wait a little.

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Locale: UK
UL A-Z Videos on 09/01/2012 15:33:28 MDT Print View

Having seen them I am far from convinced they are high quality. Sketchy editing and for novice backpackers I am sure helpful. But for anyone else I am unsure they offer much so far. Months behind schedule as well. If your American you wont notice ounces and pounds. It's not inclusive for a well backed from the USA video project. Which surprised me.

We will see in the end when they are finished for a final assessment on how good they are.

Edited by rye1966 on 09/01/2012 16:53:37 MDT.

Alan Sloman
(alan.sloman) - F
UL A-Z Videos on 09/01/2012 16:40:26 MDT Print View

This kickstarter project was fully funded a year ago.
How many have been completed?
What happened to the $10,582 ?
Has it all been spent?
When did people realistically expect the project to be completed? (I thought it was supposed to be one video a week?)
Has it been worth it so far?

Fascinating stuff...

Edited by alan.sloman on 09/01/2012 16:55:57 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: UL A-Z Videos on 09/01/2012 17:17:22 MDT Print View

I thought it would have been finished by now. I actually thought that he would just go ahead and do the whole alphabet at one go if he had all his scripts ready. Thought we were really funding the time needed to do them. Now a father. I wonder if reality says he should have not started this undertaking with a child on the way. Just my $.02 Been so long I don't remember the first one anymore.

My critique of what has been done so far is that they are OK, but too many edits, doesn't flow very well at times.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Re: UL A-Z Videos on 09/01/2012 18:22:29 MDT Print View

Respectfully, the quality and relevance of the information imparted, rather than the quality of the editing, should be the primary objective.

I'd give him kudos for scripting and content, but he has little or no chance of winning the Academy Award for Film Editing......but then, he's not a professional film-maker.

Glad to hear the alphabet will continue.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
What's With the UL A-Z Videos? on 09/01/2012 18:56:17 MDT Print View

10k after expenses for a few weeks work is not bad at all
10k BEFORE expenses, not so much.
Franco

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Locale: UK
Re: Re: Re: UL A-Z Videos on 09/01/2012 23:51:28 MDT Print View

We are told the delay is for reasons like he wants to produce high quality, and better than UTube videos. So editing and scripting matter based on the reason there has been a delay (only nine months behind finished deadline)

He asked for funding for his time to produce high quality videos. So having more funding than asked for, then to be behind and producing videos that so far seem far from high quality is not adding up.

When this is on the web you know people have more questions than answers to this project.

http://hashendrikfinishedatozyet.com/

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: UL A-Z Videos on 09/02/2012 08:16:40 MDT Print View

Can I get that as a T shirt?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Other A-Z Video series on 09/02/2012 09:05:54 MDT Print View

I thought these were good. Something to watch while we wait.

At the current rate of completion Hendrik will be done in a little over three years from now. Geez.

http://www.azbushcraft.com/

Edited by kthompson on 09/03/2012 21:38:31 MDT.

Alan Sloman
(alan.sloman) - F
Is using Kickstarter legal in Finland? on 09/12/2012 17:22:51 MDT Print View

There has been quite a fuss recently in Finland over crowd-sourcing projects. See the link below for an example:

http://www.mcvnordic.com/news/read/finnish-police-against-crowdfunding/0102687

and

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/09/08/050233/finnish-bureaucracy-takes-issue-with-crowdfunded-textbook

I can't see any difference between Senja Larsen's project and Hendrik's project. Will Hendrik have to hand the money back to all his backers?