Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
So, what gun ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
So, what gun ? on 09/01/2012 01:22:17 MDT Print View

This should really be in the gear forum but too many guys there don't have a clue so here I am.

I have at the back of my mind the idea to come over there to do a short trail .
Now I believe that when in Rome you do as the Romans do (which is nothing, I suppose) , so I will need to get a gun.
Nothing too heavy or fancy because I never used one so I will need to practice as I go along.
Last time there I noticed many creature scattering about (Mexicans?) so I will get plenty of target practice unless things have changed.
So this is my question .
Is it bad manner to carry a Beretta (well I am Italian...) if so do I need to get a Made in the USA gun ?
(if there is no made in USA gun ideal for the trail feel free to suggest the nearest Chinese product with a reasonable macho sounding name, not Rising Sun , Pearl River or stuff like that)

Franco

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
So what gun? on 09/01/2012 04:04:46 MDT Print View

"I have at the back of my mind...."

The back of your mind is an appropriate place ...why not keep it there and find something productive to do?

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Great Post! on 09/01/2012 07:29:25 MDT Print View

If you own a Beretta, you are far better off learning how to accurately throw it at a target. They have the most stopping power that way. You might even get lucky and lose the gun in the bushes and just be done with it all together.
Unless you are with law enforcement or military you will never get enough paperwork to get both you and your weapon into the country, so consider buying one here. I'm sure that you will be able to pick up a really nice gun at any streetside gun kiosk in any major US city.
Have a great trip, and Happy Hiking!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: So, what gun ? on 09/01/2012 08:05:22 MDT Print View

I'll give you my loaner. Real stopping power for use on those fat, slow Americans. Have a great trip!
Be forewarned. It's always open season on Aussies.

Call me.

Edited by kthompson on 09/01/2012 08:06:42 MDT.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: So, what gun ? on 09/01/2012 08:25:04 MDT Print View

I suggest a boomerang, at least if your miss it will come back and you can have another go.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
So, what gun ? on 09/01/2012 10:18:36 MDT Print View

"Last time there I noticed many creature scattering about (Mexicans?) so I will get plenty of target practice unless things have changed."

What the f@ck are you talking about?

Edited by xnomanx on 09/01/2012 10:19:09 MDT.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Gun? on 09/01/2012 11:00:27 MDT Print View

Franco,
Are you coming to the south western United States? or Mexico? You can safely and legally carry a Gun in Arizona with no hassle for shooting small game in season. Other states you will have your gun taken away from you. In Mexico you will do jail time for at least 6 to 15 years if caught. Mexican prison are not fun think of a jail like Devils island were the bad prisoners are sent in Papillon were you fend for yourself in compound surrounded by guards with guns.

Do you think your the Bizzaro Matt Quigley in the movie "Quigley Down Under" coming to USA shoot Mexicans be prepared for life in jail time or in Texas a quick execution.
Terry

Jeremy and Angela
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Gun? on 09/01/2012 12:01:54 MDT Print View

Ooh... a stereotype thread!

Franco,
It's too bad you're coming from Australia, as we have pretty strict laws about felons buying or owning guns. Unless you're one of the wardens? (Do you even have wardens? I mean, it is an island....)

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Maybe a water pistol for cooling off on 09/01/2012 13:37:27 MDT Print View

Oh, this belongs in chaff if it belongs anywhere.

A lot of tourists pack guns in Alaska. They get to imagine that a Glock or S&W .44 would be at all helpful in a surprise grizzly encounter, but when I see them, oh say, throwing rocks down a cliff not knowing if there are hikers and fisherman below (there are), I suspect they aren't the most thoughtful or well trained marksmen. At least they don't so openly demonstrate any racism as the OP does.

(Every bear I've ever met on the trail went the other way. The only bears my party has ever shot was when hunting them and only in the spring when you can harvest edible meat.)

But no one freaks out, no one arrests them (because it is legal in Alaska - open or concealed carry). Do the same thing on a California trail and people WILL freak out and it may be illegal depending on the jurisdiction / land ownership.

The gun is ultimate non-UL bit of gear - you can't eat it, wear it, and you'll waste much more time and weight trying to hunt for food than just packing more pasta in your pack.

If you're worried about someone robbing you (1) it doesn't happen once you leave the pavement and (2) if someone wanted a successful robbery they can the $20 in my pocket from me or a very fenceable $500 gun from you just by drawing first.

If you want to deal in stereoptypes, I don't see a lot of English or Danish tourists buying guns at the local Fred Meyers or Walmart. Rather it is Germans and Japanese buying guns in the USA or renting the guns at the range to do something they can't at home. I tend to think of guns-as-manjewelry (versus guns-as-tools) behavior as a small-d1ck thing, but maybe it's a we-lost-the-war thing?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: So, what gun ? on 09/01/2012 14:12:17 MDT Print View

pretty funny tongue and (firmly planted) cheek post Franco....LOVE IT!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: So, what gun ? on 09/01/2012 17:35:05 MDT Print View

Message deleted. No sense in trying to be funny, when toes have been trod upon.

Oops, I posted before I realized everyone was taking Franco seriously. Lighten up, dudes. He's an ethnic himself. As are we all, come to think of it. I mean most of the folks running around the country these days are self hyphenated something or other. Except me, of course. ;0)

Edited by ouzel on 09/01/2012 17:39:49 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Maybe a water pistol for cooling off on 09/01/2012 17:43:51 MDT Print View

"I tend to think of guns-as-manjewelry (versus guns-as-tools) behavior as a small-d1ck thing"

And all this time I thought every guy in America had a big one. Hmmmmm.

"but maybe it's a we-lost-the-war thing?"

American doesn't lose wars, David, at least not if it's a fair fight.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

So, what gun ? on 09/01/2012 17:47:29 MDT Print View

Yes , sorry about this line :
"Now I believe that when in Rome you do as the Romans do (which is nothing, I suppose) "
A bit of a flippant comment considering most Italians are very busy filling up those incredibly complex EU subsidy forms.
Franco

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
So, what gun? on 09/01/2012 20:24:50 MDT Print View

I knew the post was tongue-in-cheek but I took exception to:

"Last time there I noticed many creature scattering about (Mexicans?) so I will get plenty of target practice unless things have changed"

All the rest, no problem. I don't hang here enough to know who's who but I am hearing that the OP is stand up. I respectively back off.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: So, what gun ? on 09/01/2012 21:30:10 MDT Print View

No, you'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

So, what gun ? on 09/02/2012 00:43:35 MDT Print View

The point here was to prove that no matter how over the top some comments are , someone will take them seriously.
Of course using guns was an easy way to do that, it 's an old trick.
This was not meant to laugh at anyone , just to point out that particularly here in Chaf things may be said that are not meant to reflect what a person think.
As a kind of coincidence some time ago at another forum a BPL member posted a picture of himself modelling a particularly goofy pack wearing a broad smile looking like he was cracking himself up.
(he has done much better since with his DIY)
At the back of the photo you could spot this painting :
Why Me, Why me ???
My comment was that you could see his father at the back saying "Oh God why me, why me!!!"
well a couple of members took me seriously and corrected me about the real meaning of that painting.
The funny bit is that the particular member in question also posted something really silly (but not as obviously so) a few days ago and yes some took his comment as a statement.
So, yes "lighten up???"
Franco
For the record I dislike some individuals , not races or colours....however I dislike all individuals that don't like a particular race or colour and that was the point about "Mexicans"

oh, the Martians did not really invade, it was just Orson Welles having some fun for Halloween

Daryl , no need to identify yourself, let's keep that "member anonymous.

And for the "kid" thanks, at 57 that sounds better to me than you may think...

Edited by Franco on 09/02/2012 02:23:39 MDT.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: So, what gun ? on 09/02/2012 20:17:52 MDT Print View

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppOXpyhM2wA

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

So, what gun ? on 09/02/2012 20:27:25 MDT Print View

Blast, I don't do xmas...
As a kid I looked like that one ,apart from the hair colour,but was not allowed toy guns anyway.
So I was always an Indian playing Cowboys and Indians.
I liked that.
Don't recall having a squaw or my mates sitting around a campfire farting ; still we had fun.
Franco

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Hello Kitty on 09/02/2012 20:56:15 MDT Print View

AR 15 Hello Kitty

http://blog.riflegear.com/archive/2007/12/26/hello-kitty-ar-15---evil-black-rifle-meets-cute-and.aspx

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

So, what gun ? on 09/02/2012 21:10:38 MDT Print View

Yes, that is exactly the point.
No matter how many hints (or even a full explanation...) you put, some have to fall for it.
Franco