Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo.
Display Avatars Sort By:
todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Re: Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo. on 03/09/2007 14:24:08 MST Print View

Love my SteriPen Adventurer

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
re:Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? on 03/09/2007 18:41:56 MST Print View

Denis' enthusiasm is contagious! So I'll list a few.

1. Snowpeak Titanium Trek 900. Finally my search for 'The One Pot' is over. It's small enough to use as a cup, yet big enough to boil enough water for a meal and drink; the deep lid is a cup, bowl, plate and frypan; handles are removable if I want, has graduations on the side, etc.. my go-to pot.

2. Patagonia Houdini windshirt. At the risk of being repetitive, finally my search for 'The Windshirt' is over. 100 grams, fits in my back pocket, good balance of breathability and water resistance, great good design (up around face for extreme weather), great zipper, drop tail, etc. Most useful 100 grams of gear I own.

3. Smartwool or Montbell merino baselayers. Comfortable, warm when I need it, but not somehow not as hot indoors as Capilene. I wore tops and/or bottoms almost every day last winter.

4. Inov-8 330s. Changed the way I hike. Difficult to describe, but similar to wearing sticky hiking socks instead of shoes. Looking forward to their 285g mid-top "boots" to repace my Montrails at 878grams EACH.

Edited by Brett1234 on 03/10/2007 06:23:24 MST.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: re:Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? on 03/09/2007 18:58:40 MST Print View

GG Whisper G6

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: re:Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? on 03/09/2007 18:58:50 MST Print View

Mine would be my ZPack Z1 backpack. It's 5.2 oz standard (6.6 oz on my modified version) but it's just as convenient to use and carries just as comfortably as my 14oz. Golite Dawn. Always nice to shave ounces without any sacrifice to safety, function or convenience.

Edited by ben2world on 03/09/2007 19:02:37 MST.

J W
(jhaura) - F

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Re: Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? on 03/09/2007 20:10:57 MST Print View

1. Patagonia Wool 2 top baselayer - so soft and comfy I wear it every chance I get, a bit pricey though for how quick they wear out - I'm on number two.

2. Silva/Brunton 54LU Baseplate and Sighting compass - Unique mirrorless sighting system with 1/2* accuracy!

3. G6 Whisper Pack - a work of art IMHO. Made out of dyneema instead of tissue paper and would survive more than one season.

Just got a Jacks R Better No Sniveller quilt and it may take first place. Have to use it a few times first.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
Re: Re: Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? on 03/09/2007 21:18:54 MST Print View

Well, I'm thinking that the nunatak skaha plus pullover is as nice as anything I've acquired in a long time.
I really grew quite fond of it last weekend when I left it sitting behind the seat of my truck and spent 2 days backcountry skiing. I'm sure it was improving the r-value of the cab by a lot more then me.
So my new favorite piece of gear is a huge note on my windshield written with a sharpie thar sez "look in your pack dummy and see if your really nice parka is in there".

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? on 03/09/2007 21:46:54 MST Print View

Oh you guys have got to be kidding.

ONE?

A ticket to Tucson after a looooong winter in Montana, that's what, to...go hiking with Don and Carol and our friends at NOLS down in the Saguaro Wilderness. AND I DON'T HAVE TO SKI - OR SNOWSHOE - OR USE VAPOR BARRIERS - OR MELT SNOW!

Really, ONE? C'mon. OK seven.

Bushbuddy Ultra
ULA Relay
BD OneShot
iPod Shuffle
Inov8 O'340s
Java Juice and Jackie Chan Tea (!)
Carbon Fiber tubing for an ultralight version of the GoLite pole extender

Hmm, sorry. I guess I snuck in 8!

matthew hart
(jomatty) - F
jacket on 03/10/2007 06:16:05 MST Print View

i love my golite phantom jacket. mostly just because i like how good i look in it (my wife may beg to differ with that statement).

scri bbles
(scribbles) - F

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Favorite on 03/10/2007 12:44:06 MST Print View

My Tarptent Rainbow for sure. Friend woke up in a sauna, I couldnt've been more comfy...

Matthew LaPatka
(gungadin) - M

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA
I love these! on 03/10/2007 13:45:08 MST Print View

Two of my recent faves are:

Patagonia Wool 2 zip-an outstanding wool base layer that works in a wide variety of temps. and feels perfect on the skin.

Mountain Laurel Designs Revelation-have gone on a couple of short hikes with SUL loads, and it has been supremely comfortable and well-designed. A five-day trip is quickly approaching and I can't wait.

Oops, I almost forgot. The iPod Shuffle is great. So much good stuff for only .55 oz.

Edited by gungadin on 03/10/2007 14:23:30 MST.

jim bailey
(florigen) - F - M

Locale: South East
One, yeah right. on 03/10/2007 14:20:28 MST Print View

I'm with the good Dr., six months is a long time.
MDL Prophet
MDL Superlite bivy
Firelite 500 cookpot
Golite Virga

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: One, yeah right. on 03/10/2007 14:52:34 MST Print View

Ryan, Matthew, Jim, et. al.

If most people can finalize their choices to one and only one mate for life, why can't you identify a 'favorite' piece of gear purchased in the last six months? Get with the program, eh? It's not that hard. :)

Hey, Denis did it!

Edited by ben2world on 03/10/2007 14:55:57 MST.

Matthew LaPatka
(gungadin) - M

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Re: One, yeah right. on 03/10/2007 15:44:20 MST Print View

Hmm...I see how it is. You got me, Ben. I will narrow it down to the Patagonia Wool 2 since I need to put more miles on the Revelation to be sure. Now are you happy?:)

John Baird
(jbaird) - F

Locale: Deleware Watergap A_T
Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo. on 03/10/2007 17:05:21 MST Print View

Smart wool med weight base layer. Just sooo good.

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
Re: Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo. on 03/10/2007 18:14:19 MST Print View

Leatherman Squirt P4 for $1.35

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo. on 03/10/2007 19:25:56 MST Print View

Oooooh. One won't do.

Icebreaker 200 merino top and bottom
iPod Shuffle
ULA Amp
Brooks Adreneline

Edited by flyfast on 03/10/2007 19:26:41 MST.

Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Locale: pugetropolis
re: new favorite gear on 03/10/2007 20:09:59 MST Print View

Inov-8 mudclaw 270's (after I ripped off two [of four] plastic logo tags and covered up all red accents with a Sharpie [still unclear how that will hold up]).

Edited by lollygag on 03/11/2007 16:47:07 MDT.

Robert Ebel
(poop) - F

Locale: Earth Orbit
Re: Re: Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo. on 03/10/2007 20:42:10 MST Print View

Hey Matt, Your Popcan sounds pretty light considering you are 6'5" tall. Is that with all accessories? McHale told me the 'official' light weight of the packs is with a summit flap and accessories off. I first weighed mine with the hip pack and switching it out with the summit flap took it down to 2.75 lbs. Maybe that's still not UL here!

jonathan hauptman
(6hauptman6)

Locale: A white padded room in crazy town.
best gear in the last six on 03/10/2007 20:49:21 MST Print View

the car I just crashed. it was not totaled, but needs some work. until fixed, I am stuck home. no hike for me for a while.

Mark Roberts
(antibush)

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? on 03/11/2007 17:11:52 MDT Print View

Hey Ryan,

How do you like the Black Diamond Oneshot tent? I've
been looking it, but I've not seen any reviews of it yet.

Mark