Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
5 cent, .8 ounce camp cape
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
5 cent, .8 ounce camp cape on 08/30/2012 14:11:47 MDT Print View

I use various plastic bags, emergency shelters, lightwight plastic ponchos, etc. to warm me while in camp. They break the wind and, when used in conjunction with sunlight or a campfire, the greenhouse effect can add a lot of warmth for the weight.

This untested version is my latest attempt to get the weight down on this item. I used an old 4/10 mill plastic drop cloth. A 9X12 piece is enough to make 4 of these. They are open at each end (think tube) and are 6 feet in circumferance and 4.5 feet tall. Weight came to .8 ounces and cost (purchased decades ago) was 5 cents each.

I bought some .33 ounce cuben to make this but the drop cloth was a little lighter and the cuben seemed like overkill. I think I could probably find some dry cleaner bags that might do the trick. This 4/10 mill plastic runs about .28 ounces per square yard and feels a lot like dry cleaner bags.

here

here

here

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Camp cape on 08/30/2012 14:22:00 MDT Print View

Looks interesting. We used to use garbage bags as cheap ponchos for the kids when we were camping - they work great (not breathable!) when head and armholes are cut. Looks like yours is similar but lighter and cheaper!

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: 5 cent, .8 ounce camp cape on 08/30/2012 16:12:04 MDT Print View

Headline:

"HIKER SUFFOCATES WHILE HIKING IN PLASTIC BAG"

Adrian MITCHELL
(adie.mitchell)

Locale: Northwest Mass
:) on 08/30/2012 16:20:21 MDT Print View

haha

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: 5 cent, .8 ounce camp cape on 08/30/2012 18:42:41 MDT Print View

Daryl,

I have a clear poncho from Walltowallmart for 80 cents.

(BTW -- the print above the television, I can't make it out, but it does look familiar).

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: Re: 5 cent, .8 ounce camp cape on 08/30/2012 19:00:02 MDT Print View

Neat idea. I'm always impressed how versatile a small piece of plastic drop cloth can be.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
5 cent, .8 ounce camp cape on 08/30/2012 22:21:16 MDT Print View

Good idea, but I don't understand where the bananas go.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: 5 cent, .8 ounce camp cape on 08/31/2012 11:53:34 MDT Print View

Tim,

Is your Walmart one similar to the photos below?

These weigh about 2 ounces each. The surface area is about the same as the .8 ounce one I posted so I'm guessing they might be made of something like 1 mil poly instead of .4 mil.

I've used them a lot and like them. I slit and tape the neckline to make it easier to get the hood over my bulbous head. I sometimes tape the arm holes shut to keep wind from blowing through them. I usuallly keep them tight to my body with a thin elastic cord that I wrap around my waist. Like the one I made, I only use them around camp or for rest stops while on the trail. Too fragile for much else.

here

here

Daryl

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Picture looks familiar on 09/08/2012 13:19:43 MDT Print View

@Tim, the print is called " G R A C E" by Eric Enstrom.

Edited by hammer-one on 09/08/2012 13:20:17 MDT.