Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Food in other countries

Display Avatars Sort By:
irina zet
(alena96) - F
Food in other countries on 08/30/2012 03:42:13 MDT Print View

hello everybody!
my name is Irina, i am from Russia. In advance sorry for my english =)
I am very interested in what and how to eat hikers (backpacking-light-hikers) in other countries.
I noticed that you eat a lot of carbohydrates... and many other differents.

Let me give you an example of our Nutrition - trekking+mountaineering+boating about 2 weeks (sorry i use google translate, but i hope you understand me). I mean that the route was held on foot and in part on catamaran (boat) and 1 day climbing on the top about 2200 meters. All route about 190 miles. Two men.
Food weight about 18 oz per day per man. One gas bootle 16 oz, one gas stove.
Its not originally Lightweight backpacking, but its desire for it.

Nutrition consisted of:
breakfast:
groats 1,8 oz (buckwheat, rice, Hercules/oat-flakes) with desiccated milk, sugar, dried fruits, and cheese, and chokolate.
"lunch"
bread crumbs, jerky, something carbohydrates (chokolate, candy, sweetmeats and others), soup (dried vegetables and boiling water).
dinner
groats 3,2 oz with dried meat and roasted seeds (sunflower seend), jerky, halva (nuts paste).

what you think about it? =)

what nutrition you take, if you have taken this route?
It's the Sayan Mountains, south of Siberia. On the route was glasier (once). One climbing on the top 2180 meters.

Edited by alena96 on 08/30/2012 03:44:37 MDT.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Food in other countries on 09/03/2012 18:04:33 MDT Print View

Privet Irina,

Google Translate didn't do the best job, perhaps this is why no one has responded yet.

If you search the BPL archives you'll find lots of articles and postings concerning food quantities, menu planning, cooking methods, stove choice, etc. There is an entire forum dedicated to food and cooking with many active contributors. Some contributors have even published books on the subject!

18 oz of food per day per person doesn't seem like enough unless you forage, fish or hunt for food on the route. The smallest recommendation I've heard is 1.4 lbs (22.4 oz, 0.64 kg) per person per day of calorie-dense dry food (average 125 Cal/oz). I personally take 1.5 lbs, and even more on "gourmet" hikes. Long distance through-hikers often claim they need 2 lbs (32 oz, 0.91 kg) per person per day.

You sure eat a lot of groats, which in the US refer to hulled whole cereal grains. I believe most people on BPL pack a more varied assortment of foods, but this differs from person to person. I typically take noodles, rice and other grains besides groats, and more types of nuts and crackers.

I do agree about bringing lots of chocolate, though!

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Food in other countries on 09/03/2012 19:27:59 MDT Print View

Hi Irena,

One thing I noticed this summer hiking with BPL hikers and traditional backpackers is the variety of food in the US, mostly processed. This summer for breakfast, some boil fresh eggs in a special plastic bag, some a dehydrated meal of "Chili Macaroni" (a military or school meal usually served at dinner) .

Most eat sugar coated oats that cook instantly after adding hot water. Coffee.

For dinner many eat canned tuna fish mixed with pasta (carbohydrate and protein) or other dehydrated meals they just add boiling water to cook for several minutes. Maybe with vegetables.

Edited by hknewman on 09/03/2012 19:30:50 MDT.

Ben H.
(bzhayes) - F

Locale: So. California
Re: Food in other countries on 09/04/2012 14:55:13 MDT Print View

"...I am very interested in what and how to eat hikers..."

lol... just so you know, you just proclaimed yourself a cannibal.

I agree with the others, 18 ounces/day is not enough food. Over 2 weeks of heavy exercise, you would probably be dangerously calorie deficient. You should plan on at least 2 lb/day if you don't have back-out points. If you have points along your route where you can get back to civilization, you might want to look at around 1.5 lbs/day.

You just gave one days example diet, I hope you have some variety for other days. It would get tedious. The foods you are bringing look like a decent choice: calorie dense.

E.L. Boston
(El_Jefe) - F

Locale: The Pacific Northwest
. on 09/20/2012 00:45:36 MDT Print View

Добро пожаловать BPL!

~0.7-1.0 kg/Взрослый/Сутки

Завтрак:
- Крупа (Овёс посевной, Рис, Булгур) + Сухое молоко + Сливочное масло + Сухофрукты + Пряности (Мускатный орех + Корица)
- Полента
- Гранола
- Налистники http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/pancakes_thumb.jpg)
- Бейгл + Сливочный сыр
- Бекон (Моя любимая!)

Ланч:
- Арахисовая паста/Миндаль/Кешью/Nutella
- Тортилья/Пита/Наан (блюдо)
- Врап
- Батончик гранолы
- Салями
- "Trail Mix" Гранола
- Сыр
- Джерки

ужин:
- Суп
- Бобы
- Макаронные изделия
- Полента
- Картофельное пюре

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=en&tl=ru&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.onepanwonders.com%2F

:)

Edited by El_Jefe on 09/20/2012 01:08:32 MDT.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
HUH? on 09/20/2012 21:20:23 MDT Print View

Elliot, what was that lunch, supermarket food or freeze dried/dehydrated?

Hambugero! Unsay magsulti sa Ruski?

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Food in other countries on 09/21/2012 09:44:55 MDT Print View

Irina, I'm going to agree with the others and say that doesn't seem like enough food, but disagree and say it seems you have decent variety--cheese, jerky, dried fruit, chocolate, nut paste, seeds--if it were me I would add more protein (more meat to add to soup, for example, or dehydrated eggs to be scrambled), and substitute some flatbread or other carbs for some of the groats. I would also add some fresh fruit, just a couple pieces for a treat when you're sick of eating dried food. Apples keep well.

Corbin McFarlane
(raven15) - MLife
Russians are skinny on 10/16/2012 21:54:50 MDT Print View

Sure it doesn't seem like enough food to us, but last I checked a fat Russian is a fraction the weight of a skinny American. I had the same thoughts as I was travelling through Russia. I perpetually felt "this is not enough food" even after I finished a relatively large meal. So, I'd imagine that it is easily possible to make do on that little food after you have trained your mind and body to accept it.