Patagonia Capilene 4 Hoody
Display Avatars Sort By:
TJ Christopher
(Compel) - F
Some of last year's stock is still floating around... on 06/18/2013 00:18:37 MDT Print View

Anyone who can wear women's size L or XL in the Cap4 hoodie check out 6pm.com,
they have 3 colors from $60 to $77. There are also some Cap4 non-hoodie zip neck.
Just make sure you're looking at the newer gridded style (9% spandex) from last year and not the older non-gridded style (6% spandex).

John Arwood
(johnlarwood)

Locale: Mountians of East Tennessee
Loose Fit Hood On Women's Capilene 4 Hoodie @ 6pm.com.? on 06/18/2013 14:44:38 MDT Print View

My Women's 1/4 Zip Cap4 Hoodie from about 6 years ago had a loose relaxed fit hood. I was able to modify it for a better air tight fit, but it still is not the balaclava type fit of my R1 Hoodie or the hood that I have seen on the newer men's Cap4 Hoodie.
The Women's Cap4 Hoody on sale at 6pm.com seems to have the looser fitting hood. If you look at the picture with the hood up from the back, it looks floppy.

Mike R
(redpoint) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Re: MEC on 06/18/2013 15:29:50 MDT Print View

YUP!

Huge fan of Patagonia here, but a lot of their fabrics are no longer proprietary. MEC makes several of the same products using an identical fabric [Polartec Power Dry] for 50% of the cost while being made in Canada and not some country where people make $0.10 a day. Fit is very good or virtually the same. This is one of those occasions where you're paying for the name.

Edited by redpoint on 06/18/2013 15:33:48 MDT.

Mike R
(redpoint) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Re: Re: MEC on 06/18/2013 15:32:55 MDT Print View

"The sizing is very strange on the MEC, not to mention the fabric is not that nice against the skin. I tried to like it but went with the Patagucci. Much nicer for me."

The fabric is IDENTICAL - Polartec Power Dry. Not in all instances, but certainly in this one.

Sizing/fit can be different, so that I can understand. Fabric is exact same.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
cutting off double layer in hood on 07/19/2014 20:24:21 MDT Print View

Hey, sorry to resurrect a super old thread, but Dave, I was wondering if you ever got around to cutting out the second layer in the hood of the cap 4, and if so, if it's worth doing it or better just to keep it as is. Thanks!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Re: cutting off double layer in hood on 07/20/2014 08:14:54 MDT Print View

Not worth doing, thing works well as is.

I actually bought a LS crew and sold the hoodie. Fantastic sub 40F baselayer, and I liked the low profile neck better. I am considering buying the one piece for this winter.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

hood on 07/20/2014 08:34:50 MDT Print View

Thanks David. I just ordered a Cap 4 Hoody and Marmot Thermo Hoody to see which one I like better. Planning on using it as a cold weather mid/outer over a thin wool base. My Mec Vega works nicely like this, but is a touch too warm at times.

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 07/20/2014 08:35:34 MDT.

Mo Rodopsky
(rhodopean) - MLife
next to skin? on 07/20/2014 22:26:14 MDT Print View

Btw am I the only one who finds it uncomfortable next to skin because of a cold spot in the lower back ? Same experience with Cap 3.

Edited by rhodopean on 07/20/2014 22:27:09 MDT.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

re: next to skin? on 07/21/2014 12:18:39 MDT Print View

Is it because the fabric creates a bridge over the lumbar area and the fabric doesn't make contact with your skin? Because that happens with me sometimes, but it never bothers me or gives me a cold feeling.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Cap 4 "Pro" on 07/21/2014 14:36:51 MDT Print View

I also noticed Patagonia has a new "Pro" version of the Cap 4 zip-neck that blends some of the R1 material.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-capilene-4-pro-zip-neck?p=43720-0

Mo Rodopsky
(rhodopean) - MLife
Re: re: next to skin? on 07/21/2014 23:56:34 MDT Print View

"Is it because the fabric creates a bridge over the lumbar area and the fabric doesn't make contact with your skin?"

Yes,exactly. It just doesn't feel comfortable and I use a thin baselayer under it,despite losing some efficacy in the process.