November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Vacuum sealer
Display Avatars Sort By:
chris bay
Vacuum sealer on 08/29/2012 17:19:06 MDT Print View

Was wondering if anyone out there has ever tried using a space saver sealer and using a battery operated inflator instead of the compression bags like those seen on tv. I see wal mart now caries all sorts of vaccuum bags thought these might work to really increase backpack space

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
nope on 08/29/2012 17:26:32 MDT Print View

You think it would but it actually makes things more cumbersome in your pack. especially in a bear canister. if you are only doing 2-4 days I wouldn't worry about it but over 5 you actually might try the fruit/vegetable bags from the grocery store and pack them somewhat loose. that way it will form better and fill empty cracks in the canister. you obviously have to be a little more careful with those bags though.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Oh, THAT kind of vacuum sealer on 08/29/2012 17:28:04 MDT Print View

Here I was, thinking I could contribute something (having vacuum sealed 35 sockeye salmon, a handful of halibut and various smoked fish and mammal jerky this summer). Never mind. I return you now to your regularly scheduled programming.