Forum Index » GEAR » What's the purpose of camp shoes?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/30/2012 23:47:21 MDT Print View

I'm down to one ply but I double that up when nobody is watching.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/31/2012 09:08:19 MDT Print View

Jake had the answer. It is a luxury, like a lot of the things people often carry (camera, inflatable sleeping pad, etc.). I use Sprint Aquatics Slippers, which weigh an ounce a piece.

I also use them as "summit shoes" for day hiking. I like to relax on the top of a peak, take my shoes off and slip these on. I can walk around bare footed, but it is nice to keep my feet (relatively) clean and warm.

They could be part of a sleep system, if I put some work into it. I've read (in the DIY section, if memory serves) about folks who made shoes out of closed cell foam. The rest of the foam serves as part of the pillow or sleeping pad. That way, you can just pop the slippers into the pad when sleeping, and pop them out when you want to walk around camp.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/31/2012 10:59:28 MDT Print View

This thread cracks me up. I know some of you did post tongue-in-cheek with that intent, and some didn't, but I appreciated all the posts nonetheless. And I do think that distance/season/terrain will play into whether you carry camp shoes or not. I really liked the Wal-Mart foam mat sandals- that is a bomber idea and I might just have to make a set of those.

Chris Scala
(Scalawag) - F
Camp Shoes on 08/31/2012 12:27:35 MDT Print View

I did the whole JMT without camp shoes, using Inov-8 Roclite 295's.

First off, my shoes were never a problem... Never too hot, didn't get a single blister, and my feet never ached, so I was never DYING to get out of them.

But when I got to camp I'd let my feet air out for a bit while taking a seat. Then I'd switch my socks to my more cushy camp socks, and wear those with my shoes while walking around. I hiked with my shoes VERY loose, as per Ray Jardine's advice, and to my surprise it was very functional and comfortable... so my shoes were essentially slip ons.

For those reasons, I didn't miss camp shoes at all. However, there were days where I got my feet soaked towards the end of the day, and despite them mostly drying out, they'd stay damp. In those instances, having something dry would have been nice. But the thickness of my camp socks kept my feet dry and warm, and the socks would dry from that slight dampness as I slept (if they retained any water at all).

Patrick O'Neil
(human) - F
Re: Camp Shoes on 08/04/2013 22:25:58 MDT Print View

Resurecting an old thread - i did some hikes this summer with a lot of creek crossings or rain. I hike in sportiva trail runners and use them to cross streams and creeks it saves a lot of time.

I was always getting to camp with wet and cold shoes. They dont dry out quickly if wet at the end of the day. Then theres the smell they reek after hiking through mud and water for days. After washing up and setting up i'd touch them and the smell would be all over my hands. They stay wet all night. I clean my feet every night and put on clean sleep socks. Having dry shoes to walk around in are great to have, so I've come over to the dark side and bring camp shoes now.

If you hike in california and have no rain or crossings and your shoes stay dry i can see why you wouldnt need them. Or if your goal is hike 14 hours a day do camp chores and retire to your tent I suppose they aren't necessary either. I hike solo but wind up hiking with someone on part of the trail and then socialize a bit at the end of the day this sucks with wet shoes. Having said that i wish i had a pair of thevivobarefoot ultras right now to try they seem to be a great lightweight camp shoe.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Camp Shoes on 08/04/2013 22:44:31 MDT Print View

I see camp shoes as being extremely useful for two types of trips:
1 - Creekwalking/canyon trips.
2 - Hiking in rainy weather.

Both leave you with wet feet and no way to dry your shoes at the end of the day.
Being able to change into something dry at the end of the day gives you a huge moral boost. On some trips I found myself drying my shoes by a fire (tedious and time consuming) because I really, really wanted something dry.
Yes, it's a luxury and if you hike all day and immediately crawl into your sleeping bag you won't ever use them. If you stop and make camp a few hours before dark then you would want them.
You can do the bread bags in your shoes thing but it's still miserable and cold if you leave them on for more than a few minutes. Still a good option for almost no weight.

Patrick O'Neil
(human) - F
Re: Camp Shoes on 08/04/2013 23:00:05 MDT Print View

I tried the bag thing too I had to put them over my dry socks but condensation started forming to make them wet. I suppose I could do bags and no socks but then my feet would just be cold now im on the hunt for a sub five ounce pair of shoes.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Camp shoes on 08/05/2013 07:03:42 MDT Print View

Simply because some people like them and don't mind carrying the extra weight.

I don't use them. Some do.

Not too much more complicated than that. :)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Socks on 08/05/2013 07:11:17 MDT Print View

The last couple of trips I brought an extra pair of socks and wore them around camp. I can see how that would not work with sticky seeds or wet weather; they worked pretty well in the terrain I was in.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Camp shoes on 08/05/2013 07:36:31 MDT Print View

"Simply because some people like them and don't mind carrying the extra weight. I don't use them. Some do. Not too much more complicated than that. :)"

+1. Though we'll do our best to make it more complicated.....

James Reilly
(zippymorocco)

Locale: Montana
Re: camp shoes on 08/05/2013 08:01:11 MDT Print View

My wife makes and carries some and I really like using hers when I have to pee at night.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/05/2013 08:22:07 MDT Print View

Because people are addicted to "stuff" in their everyday life which is then carried over to their backpacking?

Otzi and Ishi didn't need special camp shoes. Just say'n......

;-)

Patrick O'Neil
(human) - F
Re: Re: What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/05/2013 09:07:32 MDT Print View

Yeah right a pair of flip flops are indicative of social decay and all thats wrong with society today. Pretty ironic that your plugged into the matrix rather than out living a hunter gatherer lifestyle. If that was tongue and cheek i apologize some of the posts on this site are strange lately . . . People going off on hikes without shelter, sleeping bags or rain gear. A few years ago that was widely considered irresponsible on this site, now its par for the course and of course a book or camp shoes are considered glamping now. I could easily walk barefoot and sleep under a driftwood shelter on a beach with great weather and lap water from fresh inlets without any bottles or treatment and a grocery bag for my food but its just not the conditions i hike in.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: Re: What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/05/2013 09:24:22 MDT Print View

"... lap water from fresh inlets without any bottles or treatment and a grocery bag for my food but its just not the conditions i hike in."

Oddly... It seems the places that have relatively (or just plainly) safe water to lap up are the places that are more... gear intensive or less hospitable. Maybe?

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Re: Re: What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/05/2013 09:35:11 MDT Print View

Patrick....take a deep breath and relax, man. Didn't you see my little winky face??? Just having a little fun during an idle moment.

"Pretty ironic that your plugged into the matrix rather than out living a hunter gatherer lifestyle."

What I find ironic is the assumptions people make on forums. Assume nothing about my lifestyle.:-)

No foul.

Patrick O'Neil
(human) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/05/2013 09:53:45 MDT Print View

Cool no foul then like i said some posts seem a little off lately.

Shawn Peterson
(afterdarkphoto)

Locale: Nor Cal
Flippty FLOOOOOOO on 08/05/2013 17:34:29 MDT Print View

When I was young we didn't have these things called "Camp Shoes" we wore the Salisbury steak MRE bags over our feet lashed with boot bands and we liked it!

FAH LIP EH TEE FAH LOOOOO!

Edited by afterdarkphoto on 02/11/2014 16:06:54 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Flippty FLOOOOOOO on 08/05/2013 17:38:43 MDT Print View

"we wore the Salisbury steak MRE bags over our feet lashed with boot bands and we liked it!"

You had it good! We wore the salisbury steak itself on our feet lashed with 100-mile-an-hour tape!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Flippty FLOOOOOOO on 08/05/2013 17:50:34 MDT Print View

Oh yeah?!? Well they cut our feet off and we had to fight our way onto the battlefield without. You earned your stripes but cutting the feet off of the enemy and 100mph taping them to your stumps and THEN you had to kill a cow with a P38, make a sauce using nothing but blood, tears, and mud to make your own salisbury steak and THEN you would put those on and hump a 200lb..... no wait.... 275lb ruck.

And you know WHAT?!? WE WERE GRATEFUL FOR OUR STUMPS, STOLEN WAR CRIMES FOOTSIES, AND SALISBURY STEAK SANDALS!!!!!!

Shawn Peterson
(afterdarkphoto)

Locale: Nor Cal
Sheer Awesomeness on 08/05/2013 17:55:39 MDT Print View

"You had it good! We wore the salisbury steak itself on our feet lashed with 100-mile-an-hour tape!"

I dub thee BPL Sir Quick Draw McDraw for a cunning and speeded reply...witty, to the point, and only the brave know what 100 mph tape is!

For your efforts Ian:

"Oh yeah?!? Well they cut our feet off and we had to fight our way onto the battlefield without. You earned your stripes but cutting the feet off of the enemy and 100mph taping them to your stumps and THEN you had to kill a cow with a P38, make a sauce using nothing but blood, tears, and mud to make your own salisbury steak and THEN you would put those on and hump a 200lb..... no wait.... 275lb ruck.

And you know WHAT?!? WE WERE GRATEFUL FOR OUR STUMPS, STOLEN WAR CRIMES FOOTSIES, AND SALISBURY STEAK SANDALS!!!!!!"

I dub thee BPL Sir SNL Rerun lover and Part Time Comedy Writer...I actually snorted out loud at the P38 and cow homicide.

Edited by afterdarkphoto on 08/05/2013 17:56:22 MDT.