What's the purpose of camp shoes?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Re: What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/30/2012 17:26:54 MDT Print View

Not yet mentioned per se:

If you lose one of your hiking shoes/boots for whatever reason (deer and porcupines love salt and are great midnight camp raiders) it's nice to have something to replace it with. sock + rock = pain.

Memo to file from the schol of hard knocks:

Basic flip-flops are super light, but have no rear strap so it's easy to slide your heel and arch sideways out of them, especially if they're wet. This can result in a foot injury, especially during a stream crossing. Better to use a pair of Croc knock-offs with the heel strap. The extra weight is worth it.

Edited by wandering_bob on 08/31/2012 08:34:28 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: why? on 08/30/2012 17:43:24 MDT Print View

"Dale, your logic doesn't follow at all. Sometimes here I think members really confuse what they like to do with some larger thing, or set of rules, that would dicate what other people might like, as an absolute."

Gosh Harald, you're reading more into Dale's post than I did. He expressed an opinion, but I didn't see him laying down any absolute laws. Nor did I see any weird logic in his post.

"If you find that some totally arbitrary weight is good and 12 oz more is bad, then I'd say you have totally lost perspective on what backpacking should be all about, which is being out in nature and having a good experience, not meeting some made up weight so you can say you are ul or sul or whatever other nonsense people make up."

Then you go and create your own absolute: backpacking is about being in nature, it's not about meeting some made up weight! Well, to you perhaps. Sounds like you might be confusing what you like to do with some larger thing ... that would dictate what other people might like, as an absolute. Just sayin'...

"not everyone thinks hiking all day then stopping only to sleep is a particularly good way to spend time in nature"

True. But some people do. I'm one of them. I like hiking all day and stopping only to set up camp and sleep - and hang around camp in the dark (or around a campfire) with my hiking companions. And though I like to hike all day (no real rest stops, only stop to refill water), I also bring camp shoes. Love 'em. Hmmmmm, there's more than just 2 kinds of backpackers! Who'd a thunk!

"I do in a sense wish you for example could grasp that there are actual reasons to bring gear that you personally don't like, it would really make the forums a more welcoming place. Just learn to insert the words 'I prefer because of the style I like' into declarations about what is good or bad and you'll find the tone changes radically."

I think Dale does get that, I've read enough of his posts. Perhaps, because of that, I know he's only expressing his opinion, and not making a declaration that he expects everyone else to follow. Just learn to insert into your own mind 'he's just expressing his opinion, not making a declarative statement for everyone to follow' into the forum posts you read and you'll find the perceived tone changes radically.

"I believe this is known as HYOH. Really would be nice to see bpl learn what that means."

Yes, it would......

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/30/2012 17:51:00 MDT Print View

I keep changing my mind on this, but I have Tom Jones syndrome (It's not unusual)
The last few trips were on snow and I knew I was going to hang around the huts so I had my imitation Crocs with me.
Last summer I never had any "camp shoes" because I would walk around camp barefooted or with my runners undone and having plastic bags over my dry socks when raining.
So possibly the most important reason for me to have them , when I do, is to dry my feet or let them breathe.
Franco

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Large mouth nalgene on 08/30/2012 18:54:27 MDT Print View

If you use a Hennesey with the bottom entry you don't need the bottle at all. Nor do you need to exit either.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Ul runners on 08/30/2012 19:00:01 MDT Print View

+1 on trail runners. Heck mine are made to go sockless. Nb 110

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/30/2012 19:30:03 MDT Print View

When camping I am happy with plastic bags over my sleep socks and inside my trail runners, or I just stay in wet socks and shoes until sleep time. For staying in huts I have Goosefeet overshoes to use over socks or down booties, but I haven't actually use this combo yet.

Sometimes I see someone in boots with trail runners strapped to the outside of their pack and smile and sometimes it is the other way around. Just to save E Chan typing away on his little Iphone this of course makes me feel good because I am on BPL and feel superior to all other backpackers:)

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/30/2012 19:42:45 MDT Print View

Shoes with really good drainage for hiking up streams don't do so well for bushwacking and other rough stuff. Not durable enough and they end up with more debris in them. In that situation, I would go with some good, tough shoes and then some watershoes. I actually plan on doing that this weekend with my leather vivobarefoots and some watershoes for hiking up rivers.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

eh on 08/30/2012 19:48:42 MDT Print View

You guys are killing me when you are talking about bringing two pairs of shoes. How many do you need on a weekend or multiweek hike honestly.

One pair of shoes is all you need, if you want something extra go over to the Cabelas website and post there about how much you like your backup water shoes.

To each his own but unless your extra pair of shoes are seriously light and dont take up much space in a pack then I dont want to hear it. This is BPL remember.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
10 pairs is a reasonable minimum. on 08/30/2012 20:56:38 MDT Print View

My hiking partner, Imelda Marcos, and I now carry at least ten pair of hiking shoes, for like a seven day like trip. They're like way totally ultralight, and anyone who doesn't appreciate the need for style in the outback just doesn't get it and has no place on BPL. What kind of a kook wears the same shoes with every outfit??

Rookies.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

flip flop on 08/30/2012 21:03:07 MDT Print View

That said I'd like to add that I am in the market for some light light lightweight flip flops with fabric between the toes not rubber.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: flip flop on 08/30/2012 21:04:54 MDT Print View

Teva flip flops have fabric.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/30/2012 21:27:36 MDT Print View

I use either slides or flip flops for camp shoes because of how I use them.

I use them during breaks to air out my feet. I want maximum air flow, but in some places I don't want to walk barefoot.

I use them for showering in trail towns.

My flip flops also double as extra cushy insoles.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Re: "What's the purpose of camp shoes?" on 08/30/2012 21:27:53 MDT Print View

"Why do people pack in camp shoes."

Cuz they want to.

Why does someone carry a pee bottle???

Why does anyone take any particular piece of gear? I don't always but when I do I bring Sprint Aquatics at 1.9 oz. For me, peeing in a bottle is a winter activity. And it's using a 1.75 oz 32 oz Gatorade bottle. For .15 oz difference, I'd rather enjoy a little 3 AM star gazing time.

When I don't bring them I bring newspaper plastic bags, and if my shoes get wet, I change into new socks, put the bags on, and put my trail runners on for in camp. For early morning star gazing I'll slip on my trail runners if I don't have them but the Aquatics are faster and easier. Especially if my trail runners are wet.

BUT, I was reading a post from Doug on another thread about the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pures and found a pair locally yesterday. I'm taking them on my next trip and intend to use them as wading shoes for fishing and camp shoes if needed. 7.9 oz for the pair but if they work out for wading, they'll be well worth the extra weight. But I still won't use them to cross streams. I'll keep walking in the trail runners and use them in camp.

I told the woman at the store I was getting them at that I read you could remove the tongues to save weight. She said that was crazy. I said, oh, you can't even imagine crazy. :)

Edited by rlnunix on 08/30/2012 21:31:39 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: eh on 08/30/2012 21:35:49 MDT Print View

re: michael W

apparently most of the AT hikers I saw while coinciding with the Long trail were wrong then... but after 1600mi what do they know. (many of them fairly light packs and trail runners)

the OP asked why people brought them. many have posted their reasons for them and others choose not to. I know that while doing 18 days in a row of 15-20mi per day my feet like to dry out and not be confined in shoes. Rocky, rooty trail beats up your feet quite a bit. I generally got to camp by 5-5:30 and wasn't in my sleeping bag until 8-9pm.

I found a pair of flip flops i used for most of it. I am trying to find some knock off crocs since i really don't like the thong style flip flops. i use a small carabiner to hang my food bag and multitask it to hold flip flops to my pack.

what was your last hike over 2 weeks in a row?

joseph peterson
(sparky) - F

Locale: Southern California
What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/30/2012 21:43:43 MDT Print View

I will sometimes bring a pair of slippers because they are very comfortable!! But that is rare and I havnt done it for a few years.

I am fine barefoot or I walk around liberally in just socks. I don't carry a pee bottle either. I just cross streams in my ventilators, or barefoot if it is mellow.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

. on 08/30/2012 21:53:22 MDT Print View

Aggreed barefoot is good when you want a change, thats what ive been doing. Theres also nothing wrong with going barefoot inside of a loose shoe.

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
chuckle on 08/30/2012 22:52:20 MDT Print View

Douglas, agreed it's better to sometimes fill in the blanks, or pretend they are there to be filled, which is probably an even better strategy. This certainly seems to be one such time, I agree. Not always necessary, notice how Joseph stated what he prefers, using, conveniently, the first person? Nice and clear there.

But just out of curiosity, so, when you go out, your main goal is not to be out in nature and to have a good experience? Really? Or are we just getting a bit carried away by the full moon and forum chitchat? But if so, what is your primary goal, I'm interested, I thought that was so broad and generic it would cover most possible activities one could engage in out there in nature while having a good experience, up to and including every style of backpacking people engage in. Or is this one of those times I should fill in the blanks? And good experience seemed to cover anything from reaching your mileage goals for the day to achieving some type of enlightenment while meditating under a tree or by a stream. I'm hard pressed to come up with a more generic way to put it. Unless we're just talking to talk, but that's boring, no? Now, I guess it is possible that primary goal actually could be to use ultralight gear as an end in itself, I suppose, I mean, I guess some people do that, but even then, they are out in nature, and having a good experience, even though it has to be mediated through some gear, no? Aldous Huxley did suggest that possible future in Brave New World, where people could only interact with nature if it was mediated by consumer products, so I guess that can be another thing. Oh, wait, no, I just thought of a case, sorry, you're right, some people might actually want a bad experience, and find going to nature is the best way to get that. That's possible, you're right, there are other options, just didn't seem very likely, but there are other ones. I stand corrected.

Too confusing for me, time to plan a new trip I think, where such issues don't tend to really come up, thankfully. Hmm, to bring camp shoes and incur the wrath of some, or to not? So difficult, lol. Time to shave a few more grams off stuff, I'll decide later.

Edited by hhope on 08/30/2012 23:01:30 MDT.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/30/2012 22:59:50 MDT Print View

I almost always carry “camp shoes”. Mainly they are for crossing rivers and creeks so my main hiking footwear does not get wet. When I know I will be in the water a lot I just plan on well draining shoes, but usually I have the Five Fingers or Tech Amphibians along. They are a lot more comfortable to wear after a long day hiking in my primary shoes even if I don’t need them for crossing.

“To each his own but unless your extra pair of shoes are seriously light and dont take up much space in a pack then I dont want to hear it. This is BPL remember.”

Yeah you are right. It is Backpacking Light. Not Backpacking UL or Backpacking SUL or Backpacking Online…

So funny to read posts like this, ripping being comfortable and then seeing the same people talk about their JetBoils, or Scotch, or big cameras. Not that I am saying anything is wrong with those at all. HYOH and enjoy it. Who gives a dang what other people think? I am a true Light Backpacker. My brother-in-law is a UL guy. I have friends that are old school (read “heavy”). We all enjoy backpacking and don’t look down on the others for what they are comfortable with.

For the OP. You rip carrying an extra shoe but you carry a pee bottle for 3-season use in a hammock? Wow, that boggles my mind. It is easier to lean over and go than to struggle with a bottle (something I know well from winter hiking) yet you feel the need to rip folks for shoes? That’s OK ‘cause you can hike your own leg, I mean hike… ;-)

I am slowly building my mileage back up right now. (Just did 14 mi and 3000 ft of gain in a day this month). But when I was doing the big days it was very nice to get out of the same coffin my feet had been stuck in for 11 or 12 hours. And socks don’t dry out in high humidity in a few hours.

From your posts you seem to be new to backpacking. Maybe a less aggressive tack to asking and learning would do you well. But welcome to my favorite pastime. I am heading out Saturday myself, and I will be bringing the camp shoes.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
What's the purpose of camp shoes? on 08/30/2012 23:21:50 MDT Print View

Anyway camp shoes are for sissy boys.
I am the exception and so is everyone else here that does use them.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
sissy boys on 08/30/2012 23:34:49 MDT Print View

Heck I am pretty sure I am a sissy boy Franco. I still carry toilet paper...