Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Shangri-la 5 mod
Display Avatars Sort By:
Cesar Garcia
(crgowo) - F

Locale: Desert SW
Shangri-la 5 mod on 08/29/2012 14:58:44 MDT Print View

So I was lucky enough to get my shangri-la 5 before the price jump and took it out for the first time 2 weeks ago. It preformed well but I wasn't to happy about the thick webbing for the tiedowns and the same for the inner net. It didnt have much adjustability, especially if I want to have the sides off the ground. That was the only grip I had so when I got back I ordered a bunch of mini line locks and 50 ft of reflective glowire from Lawson OE. Yesterday I used a pruning shear to cut off the ladder lock, making sure I didnt slice the webbing thats sewn into the sides of the fly and inner net. Then I cut 16 pieces of glowire 3' long and attached at all the locations the ladder locks were. After replacing them all from the fly and inner tent I have a softball size bundle of webbing that I cut off. The bulk alone made it worth it to me but I was curious how much it weighed so I brought it to work and put it on the scale. Its 5.8oz+ The plus is because I cut the back so the ladder locks off to properly place the pruning shear next on the plastic that the webbing loop wraps around on. So if I would of brought all 16 pieces of the rear ladder lock Im sure it would of added some weight but I through those little pieces in the recycle bin.

Well the most important part is I put it up in the backyard after I was done and it was just as easy to put up but strapping the nettent was a lot easier. :) Plus the cord reflects a lot of light so they are easily visible with a headlamp. Im thinking of ordering 1.25mm zline from zpacks and replacing all the glowire on the inner tent for even more weight savings. Then doing the same for my Shangri-la 2 with the extra pieces of glowire.

Edited by crgowo on 08/29/2012 15:06:16 MDT.

Wade Ford
(cwford) - MLife

Locale: NTX
SL5 mod on 08/29/2012 15:36:12 MDT Print View

That sounds like a mod I was considering. Do you have any pictures?

Terry G
(delvxe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
pics on 09/04/2012 09:54:25 MDT Print View

yes, pics appreciated. I like my SL5 but would love to cut the weight of the dang nest.

Cesar Garcia
(crgowo) - F

Locale: Desert SW
pics on 09/06/2012 09:12:59 MDT Print View

I wanted to take some pics while I was out in the Gila this past weekend but my wife and daughter stayed home so took a smaller tent for my son and I. Anyhow here are some from my backyard.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/crgowo/2012-08-28_21-33-39_547.jpg

And the straps I removed
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/crgowo/2012-08-29_16-20-57_916.jpg

Wade Ford
(cwford) - MLife

Locale: NTX
Nice work on 09/06/2012 23:55:32 MDT Print View

That looks like a nice mod though I'm still not understanding how you got the line locs attached. Next time you have it out could you post a close up or 2 of what the attachment looks like at the fly and at the nest?