Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
dogs and novaculite on 09/24/2012 17:53:16 MDT Print View

A major component of the Ouachita's is novaculite (latin novacula=razor)It's also famous in the area for making whetstones.

Edited by leighb on 09/24/2012 17:54:20 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Leigh on 09/24/2012 17:58:03 MDT Print View

Leigh thanks for the detailed info. I'll get back to you tonight once I've had a chance to look at it. I'm pretty much good with whatever. I was just looking for an opition that met two criteria
1. No unnecessary driving down dirt roads
2. Camping near water in relatively wildernessy areas.
Other than that I don't have strong opinions.

Nathaniel Roseberry
(Nathanr) - M

Locale: TX
Re: dogs and novaculite on 09/24/2012 19:18:03 MDT Print View

@Leigh, razor rock is right! That stuff is sharp.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Parking and Camping on 09/24/2012 19:27:55 MDT Print View

Parking back on 369/FR73 sounds good to me. I was thinking that would save people coming from Texas from a long drive down the dirt roads. I did a day hike from the falls TH and if I recall the last bit of the drive was kinda slow and bumpy. Perfectly doable in a car, just not fast.
I'll wait to see what Leigh has to say about camping. If its better to park somewhere else for he sake of good camping, so be it.

Landon Schrock
(lschrock) - F

Locale: The plain states
trailhead on 09/25/2012 16:33:06 MDT Print View

Is that the one in the Southeast corner around albert pike? the FR 106 TH?

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

re: trailhead on 09/25/2012 17:07:22 MDT Print View

Landon, the one I'm talking about is actually within sight of the parking at 512. After 369 leaves the AP campground (NO OVERNIGHT PARKING ANYWHERE THERE)and turns to gravel maybe a 1/4 mi.on the left is a parking area.It's basically southeast of the parking on 512.Just past it you can see the bridge where you turn left onto FR 512 which has parking on the northwest side of the river. Either of these may have parking available and combined would hold 10-12 vehicles. All other THs are on gravel roads, so these are prime spots for those not wanting to go long slow narrow distances. It's about 6 miles up to the Falls from there, IIRC. There are plenty of spots at the Fall TH, and Winding Stairs which is about 2 miles west of AP on 106. There is also parking farther west on 106 at the West Blaylock Cr. TH, as well as limited parking at the Upper Lil Mo TH where it junctions with ABF.

I sent the info on campsites to Luke so he can look it over. There was a link to a pdf I couldn't attach here. He can post his thoughts then.

If anyone needs gps coordinates, or directions to trailheads feel free to pm me.

I'll be happy to provide any other info I can.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Campsites on 09/25/2012 19:40:39 MDT Print View

Here are a couple of options trying to incorporate the larger campsites, everyone feel free to comment.

Start from FR 106/Winding Stairs TH and hiked up to the campsite marked on the maps at the end of Little Missouri Trail (before the falls)
On day two we could camp near Eagle Rock Vista and finish the loop on Sunday.

I guess another idea would be to start from the falls and camp by Long Creek, the by Winding Stairs then finish.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

I like the first option on 09/25/2012 19:55:11 MDT Print View

I like the first option because I'm guessing Eagle Rock vista would be secluded then option 2.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Campsites on 09/26/2012 09:08:26 MDT Print View

Large campsites that I know of (there are others probably):
1. Winding Stairs TH
2. At Little Missouri River, 3 miles past Albert Pike CG towards Little Missouri Falls
3. At Straight Creek (sorta hidden)
4. At Long Creek
5. Winding Stairs CG (we always try to stay there the last night)

Parking:
1. Just after Albert Pike CG (minimal dirt road)
2. Winding Stairs TH (2 miles dirt road)
3. FM 106 on Athens-Big Fork (6+ miles dirt road)
4. Little Missouri Falls (7+ miles dirt road)

If parking at Winding Stairs TH (hiking counter-clockwise), a first night could be 6 miles in at the number 2 campsite above or Leigh's campsite which must be closer to the Falls putting you at about ~8 miles in.

The second night for a large group I am not sure about since Winding Stairs CG would be too far around. There are surely some spots that would work, but I may not have noticed their size.

Edited by jshann on 09/26/2012 09:24:31 MDT.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Campsites on 09/26/2012 15:49:15 MDT Print View

Thanks for your input John!

I found out this morning I have a conference to attend on Fri the 19th, 2 hrs south of where I live. I was planning on taking Friday off and hiking that day....now I will need to join in with those that are starting Sat. I'm open to whatever the group decides.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Updates on 10/03/2012 18:14:30 MDT Print View

I have to run right now but I'm good to go with the plan as is. I plan to take Friday off so I can be at the trail head a bit early. If I get a chance I'll make a cardboard sign that says "Backpackinglight GGG" or something like that so people know what to look for in the parking lot. I figure we could also use it for a cool group shot before the trip.
I think it would also be good if we created a list of phone numbers so people can call at the last minute if they have a flat tire etc. Since you probably don't want to post your cell phone numbers all over the web why don't you PM them to me and I'll make up a list which I can then PM to everyone who's going.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

RE: updates on 10/03/2012 18:21:47 MDT Print View

Anyone else not arriving until Sat morning?

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

The Plan on 10/09/2012 18:46:25 MDT Print View

I think I sent a PM to everyone who's been interested but I'll post it here too. Below is a summary of the plan for the trip. As soon as possible it would be good too start finalizing who's coming so we can start working out final details.

Friday
Start at the FR 106/Winding Stair Trailhead (exact time to be determined but probably mid afternoon).
Camp at the end of Little Missouri Trail (before the Little Missouri Falls trailhead)
Saturday
-Hikers starting Saturday join us at the Little Missouri Falls trailhead.
-Hike counterclockwise on the loop and camp near Eagle Rock Vista.
Sunday
-Complete loop and finish back at FR 106/Winding Stair Trailhead
-Hikers who started from Little Missouri Falls can catch rides back to their vehicles if necessary.

If you are still interested in going please let us know. PM your cell phone number to me and to Leigh Baker so we have a contact list in case someone is late etc (Leigh will be joining us on Saturday so if you will be late make sure Leigh has your number, I will be on the trail at that point).

If anyone wants to carpool from the Dallas area let me know.

Maps of the trial are available at www.ouachitamaps.com

Hope to see you all soon!

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

The List So Far on 10/09/2012 22:06:22 MDT Print View

Okay so far the list is me, Eric, Landon, Richard and Leigh for sure coming.

Landon Schrock
(lschrock) - F

Locale: The plain states
sweet. on 10/11/2012 15:06:44 MDT Print View

Eric, Richard, and I are carpooling from OKC. I got the PM with a phone number, so I'll call sooner this week and we can fine-tune logistics for meet up and what not.

Landon

James Blackwell
(blackwelljc) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Luke on 10/15/2012 19:22:59 MDT Print View

Sorry for last minute notice but is there room for another this weekend. I can make it Fri.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Luke on 10/15/2012 19:26:56 MDT Print View

Sure James you're welcome. Landon, Eric and Richard are car pooling in from Oklahoma City. I'll be driving up from Dallas after I finish work at noon so I should be there about 4:30 to 5 PM.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Question on 10/17/2012 15:02:06 MDT Print View

Just a quick question for those going. Do you guys like to cook breakfast or not? I normally just eat a couple bars and get on the trail but if other people want to cook breakfast anyway I figured I might as well toss some oatmeal packets in.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

re: question on 10/17/2012 16:15:21 MDT Print View

I eat a balance bar for breakfast, usually boil water for tea, but not necessary,since I'm joining you guys for just one morning meal, I can forgot the tea on Sun am. unless others are eating hot food.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Question on 10/17/2012 16:21:52 MDT Print View

I'm good either way.

Oh some good news. I don't have too rush off quit as fast as I though on Sunday.