Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall? on 09/07/2012 22:10:06 MDT Print View

Please post some TRs when you get back from this one. I grew up in Fort Smith but only get back there in December. I'd love to have added incentive to go back at a different time of year when I could do a 2- or 3-day trip there.

Jim Ledbetter
(bmafg)
Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall? on 09/07/2012 22:23:38 MDT Print View

Third weekend of October I might be able to join for the ERL. IF IF IF you're OK with an oldish newbie. I hiked a bunch 40 years ago but am just getting back out.

You can get good ERL maps and guide info from Charlie Williams in Tulsa. Info is available on backpackingarkansas forum. Been eying a trip up there but haven't made it yet.

Jim

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Jim on 09/08/2012 06:00:58 MDT Print View

Fine by me if you're comfortable with it Jim.

Andy Chasse'
(AndyC) - F

Locale: The Front Range
Dates on 09/08/2012 07:07:01 MDT Print View

Luke - those dates work fine for me.

Jim Ledbetter
(bmafg)
Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall? on 09/08/2012 07:21:42 MDT Print View

Luke,

One of the only advantages to hitting 60 is that you get pretty darn comfortable with who you are. :) I'll be good.

FWIW I'd vote for at least some hiking. With a Friday afternoon start, the entire loop would make a good weekend for me, but if I'm outside I'm easy to please.

Jim

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Dates on 09/08/2012 07:36:42 MDT Print View

So lets plan on the third weekend at this point. Jim and Andy glad you guys can make it. I'm up for some Friday hiking, lets make it a two nighter.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Be Back on 09/09/2012 06:42:18 MDT Print View

I'm about to hit the trail so I won't be communicating much until probably friday or saturday just to let ya'll know.

Landon Schrock
(lschrock) - F - M

Locale: The plain states
Andy on 09/11/2012 15:41:33 MDT Print View

Now that Andy is going, I'm not sure I want to... J/K. So glad you're coming, bro!
I need to talk to you about some extra equipment from texas, particularly smuggled in from Brooklyn.

Plus- I've been to ERL three times now, so I'm pretty familiar with it. I've seen some people in there with fly rods, and I've heard they stock the cossatot river with trout. So bring some fishing gear.

I have plenty of room for people if anyone wants to carpool. I could also pick up from OKC airport if someone wants to fly in.

Edited by lschrock on 09/11/2012 15:44:05 MDT.

Andy Chasse'
(AndyC) - F

Locale: The Front Range
Brooklyn on 09/11/2012 16:18:17 MDT Print View

No prob man, let me know what you want. I'll actually be IN Brooklyn next week if you want it straight from the source! I'll be able to get the entire lineup.

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall? on 09/11/2012 21:03:38 MDT Print View

Hey. Is the group open to more folks? Coming from Tulsa. Will have to work on my schedule to see if the GGG can fit.

Glad to see an opportunity for new friends and fun on the ERL. I'll be curious about water access given the drought.

Edited by flyfast on 09/11/2012 21:06:08 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall? on 09/11/2012 21:49:26 MDT Print View

Typically water all over the place at ERL. I've hiked it 7 or 8 times...lost count. I could get more people to go (a meetup group), but it might be way too many or too rowdy..lol. Some friends will be hiking it in October, but they have not said which weekend yet.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
re:Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall on 09/12/2012 04:51:41 MDT Print View

Phil,
I was just west of there in the Caney Cr.Wilderness last weekend. Water was low but abundant. The Ouachita's are my nearest hiking option and I spend a lot of time there. I will be on ERL in a few weeks helping a friend with his trail maintenance,so I'll report back on water conditions, and if I get a report sooner I'll post it. Water will be low if no significant rain between now and then, but still doable.

Edited by leighb on 09/12/2012 04:57:00 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Phil on 09/13/2012 21:24:21 MDT Print View

Phil as far as I'm concerned the more the merrier.

Richard Murrow
(rwmurrow) - F

Locale: The flats
ERL GGG on 09/17/2012 11:25:03 MDT Print View

If theres room for another newbie you can count me in! I have a two week fall break from school at the end of october so this is perfect for my schedule. Actually the ERL is the only trip I have done so far, loved it.

Landon Schrock
(lschrock) - F - M

richard on 09/17/2012 13:11:46 MDT Print View

We can carpool, buddy.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Awesome on 09/17/2012 15:31:35 MDT Print View

Awesome the more the merrier.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Update on 09/22/2012 12:57:42 MDT Print View

So I'm still good to go if everyone else is. Here is what I was thinking from looking at maps (available from http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Eagle%20Rock.html).
We could start the loop counter clockwise from the Hwy 512 access Friday afternoon/evening. If we could hike 5-6 miles we could camp near the Little Missouri River falls access.
On Saturday people running late could meet us coming from the Little Missouri Falls access. We could shoot for a total of about 12-15 miles on Saturday. Maybe Leigh and Landon can give us ideas on where good campsites would be.
Sunday should be a shorter day maybe 4-6 miles. People who want to can take their time, people who need to could get an early start and be out of the woods quickly to get back in time for work on Monday.
Feel free to point out flaws in the plan or suggest a better one but this is a starting point.

Landon Schrock
(lschrock) - F - M

trailhead on 09/23/2012 07:57:42 MDT Print View

I'm not sure on parking at the 512, Leigh may be able to help out here? There's plenty of parking at the NW corner at the Little Missoui/athens junction, and also on the west side at the end of the 106 coming from Shady lake area. I've seen cars there before, and it's right at the trail. I haven't seen the parking, but based on the traffic in the SW loop by viles branch horse trail, I think a lot of people park there, especially the equine crowd. I'm good with whatever, though. So if anyone has another idea, throw it up here.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG on 09/23/2012 16:20:04 MDT Print View

Sorry for the late reply, I actually just got back from the Lil Missouri trail. Counter clockwise is my preference. As far as parking, 512 has about 5-7 spots, but there's quite a large area on 369/FR 73 just back up across the road on the left right before you turn left to cross the bridge to the parking on 512.Alot of scouts and equine folks park trailers there. There's plenty of parking at the falls TH. Let me think about the best campsites, I'm pretty beat tonight and need to unpack etc, but I'll post back tomorrow when I've had time to mull it over. There's a big campsite just past the falls, we actually stayed there last night, but it's better for hammocks than tents....and it's close enough to the Falls day use that noise from the ATV'er that flock there on weekends could be a problem, although I don't think they're suppose to congregate after 8 but I'll check on that.It's also down on the water so it's a flood area. There is a site about 5-10 min.before you get to the falls, but it's not as big.

Edited by leighb on 09/24/2012 17:46:36 MDT.

Nathan R
(Nathanr) - M

Locale: TX
Going on the 27th on 09/24/2012 05:49:06 MDT Print View

A couple friends and I are going to the ERL from Dallas on the 27th. Would definitely be interested if it's that weekend.

Regarding dogs On the ERL, the flint rocks there are really sharp. I took my dog on the trail back in July and the rocks cut up her pads pretty bad. She couldnt walk for a week afterwards. A friend had the same experience with his dog there too. Unless your dog is used to the sharp rocks of that area I'd be cautious about taking your dog on the trail.