Forum Index » GEAR » Inexpensive wool t-shirts?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Inexpensive wool t-shirts? on 08/27/2012 21:06:58 MDT Print View

I am looking for a wool t-shirt that isn't $60+ I just can't stand synthetic shirts anymore. Are there any options out there? I want something that looks and feels like a regular t-shirt, something that doesn't scream out "hiker!"

terry a thompson
(terry588) - MLife

Locale: West
Re: Inexpensive wool t-shirts? on 08/27/2012 21:14:51 MDT Print View

here is one!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/redram-by-icebreaker-merino-wool-base-layer-top-zip-neck-long-sleeve-for-men~p~4238p/?merch=prod-rec-3039C

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Re: Inexpensive wool t-shirts? on 08/27/2012 21:15:30 MDT Print View

mec makes them for a decent price. and look at stoic on backcountry

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Stoic on 08/27/2012 22:06:25 MDT Print View

Stoic were the best I ever found out there. Good size, they stand up to some wear and a great price. $30 right now.

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-merino-crew-short-sleeve-mens

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
costco on 08/27/2012 23:53:01 MDT Print View

check costco, they occasionally have cheap merino

also your local discount sporting goods/outlet store ... i picked up a nike synth/wool mix LS for 15 smackaroos ... there are often name brand gear on clearance

as long as you dont want bankbreaker or other such names, you should be able to find stuff for no more than 20-30$

Dave Ploessel
(mailesdad) - F
stoic on 08/28/2012 04:20:28 MDT Print View

I'll second Bretts recco that stoic at backcountry.com is quite nice bang for buck wise... I own a couple of their ss and a ls merino shirt. great fit, super comfy, and durable so far (one season of use)

http://m.backcountry.com/stoic-merino-crew-short-sleeve-mens

the grey one i have tends to show dirt more.... so maybe avoid that color

Edited by mailesdad on 08/28/2012 04:25:27 MDT.

Scott Ledet
(solarvvind) - F
Redram on 08/28/2012 08:24:56 MDT Print View

Just wanted to second the Redram. I've gotten them as cheap as $25 at the Sierra Outlet.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re Inexpensive wool t-shirts? on 08/28/2012 10:36:14 MDT Print View

For me it's more about where I buy them than brand. I've bought Icebreaker, Stoic and Smartwool all off of Steepandcheap.com for terrific prices. I generally have S&C running in the background all day and so I can keep an eye on the deals going on.

Also- re buying at Costco- carefully read the label. I was in there the other day and they had a bunch of "Merino Wool" shirts that were 5% Merino Wool and the rest was a synthetic blend. That's deceptive.

Edited by EagleRiverDee on 08/28/2012 10:37:56 MDT.

Michelle A
(mauhler31) - F
Re: Inexpensive wool t-shirts? on 08/28/2012 10:54:23 MDT Print View

Currently REI has some Icebreaker and Ibex on sale. I have also found some shirts under $40 from Altrec Outlet. A few weeks ago, Backcountry Gear also had Icebreaker on sale.