Forum Index » GEAR » Bob Lane collapsible cup

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Porter
(onehappycampster) - MLife
Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 16:02:55 MDT Print View

I pick up this little gem from Ebay. My camera SD card crapped out but here's an article written that tells a bit about the cup. http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=72375 Very lightweight and a cool little collector's piece. Very usable as well. I Googled it and found a copy of the patent. One made in TI foil would be very cool. Cheers.

Matt

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 17:51:03 MDT Print View

I remember the Bob Lane cup being available when I first started backpacking in 1976...

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 18:18:55 MDT Print View

Ok, that is pretty cool !!!

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 19:14:36 MDT Print View

It's a shame they stopped making it. I've read that LL Bean was the retailer. Maybe they'll start back someday.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 20:01:09 MDT Print View

Hi,

Thanks Matt for posting this.

I love clever and this is clever.

I found where one sold on ebay for $50. I also found the Patent information.

I might try and make one out of some of my .016" titanium sheet if I can work out the rivet?? / sliding part.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 20:02:14 MDT Print View

At what point did the patent expire?? (if it has)

If it has expired and you make one, I would love to pick one up from you if you figure out a way to make them work!!

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 20:10:27 MDT Print View

I remember that my father's cousin had one of these. It was very springy stainless(?) steel. It snapped into a cone shape when opened. Now I wish I had bought one. Also wish I had kept my Svea stove and Silva compass...

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 20:39:16 MDT Print View

I like the cup but I don't like $50 worth...but a TI version may be worth it just to be the coolest kid in the woods! LOL I just measured the thickness using my digital calipers. It's ".007 thick. You don't think the TI sheet you have is too thick? It's pretty springy stuff.

I have two Svea stoves. Pretty cool but big and heavy. I must admit old school always looks the best in my eyes.

Bill I'll shoot you whatever dimensions you may need.

I'm looking on the US Patent site right now to see what I can find out.

Edited by onehappycampster on 08/27/2012 20:56:41 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 21:23:53 MDT Print View

Pat. No. 3,087,640

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3087640.pdf

Edited by jshann on 08/27/2012 21:26:15 MDT.

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 21:25:59 MDT Print View

I read that, too. All I can find on a patent search is that it was issued in 1963. I'm sure there's an office that could inform a person if a patent is expired.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 21:31:35 MDT Print View

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0927527A1.pdf

This upgrade can be set horizontal and stand up.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 21:42:36 MDT Print View

Hi,

I printed out the patent drawings and using the photos with the ebay sale as a reference they look to be somewhere around 4" long before folding into a cup.
ebay listing:

ebay cup

I can't make the cup link for ebay work. You should be able to do a cut and paste or try looking for the auction # 130706932772. It will tell you something like auction over but they is a place to click something like "look at original listing".

Th Patent date is Sept 22, 1960 and I expect it is still active. I have no idea how long a Patent lasts. I found the Patent using the number (3,087,640)on Google:

Cup Patent

Anyway, a person can make something that is covered by a Patent if it is for "their use only", I think.

Edited by bfornshell on 08/27/2012 21:54:34 MDT.

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 21:51:30 MDT Print View

It's 5 1/2" when laying flat.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 21:56:11 MDT Print View

Thanks Phil,

That makes things easier.

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 22:00:43 MDT Print View

I wish I could snap a pic for you. The memory card just HAD to fail. Just let me know what else I can measure for you.

I really like the version John provided a link for.

At first I wondered who "Phil" is. Then I realized I had my account set to the billing info from 2 years ago. I use my middle name, Matthew. So just call me Matt.

Edited by onehappycampster on 08/27/2012 22:07:18 MDT.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 22:15:16 MDT Print View

I made a copy of the Patent drawing using 5.5 inches as the width. I am getting ready to print it out both pieces on card stock for the pattern.

I assume you have a real one? What does the rivet look like. I will try a pop rivet first and see if that will work.

I will make the first couple out of some thin aluminum and see if that will work. Then try a piece of titanium or thin stainless steel.

The only titanium I have is some .016 of an inch.

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 22:22:20 MDT Print View

I do have a real one. With the paper envelope as well. Are you able to receive pic messages on your cell phone?

Peter Griffith
(petergriffith) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 22:24:24 MDT Print View

The patent has expired. Here's a link explaining current US patent terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_of_patent_in_the_United_States

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 22:36:14 MDT Print View

Very cool info thanks.

Mr. Bill, just pm me your cell phone number and I'll send you a pic of one of the rivets using my cell phone. They look like small flat head or tinner's rivets to me. I'd opt for the tinners' rivets for reasons of holding power.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/27/2012 23:11:10 MDT Print View

Matt,

Cell Phone, what is a cell phone? Kidding, I don't have a cell phone and have never even talked on one. How about an email address? I will PM it to you if that will work.

Have a look at the pictures with the ebay sale. They are petty good.

I will try the old fashion rivets. I have some friends that make custom jewelry and they should know where I can get some or they might even do it for me.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/28/2012 08:47:22 MDT Print View

Thanks for the post. This is a real blast from the past for me.

In the 70s I used this cup to drink water directly from streams as I hiked. It was lighter and more compact than the popular Sierra Cup. It's thin walls and flexibility also allows one to fill the cup from very shallow water sources (e.g. thin stream running over a rock).

I gave it away once I started filtering my water because I preferred to have a cup that would stand on its own without tipping.

The cleverness of this design still impresses me. I've always figured there must be some other applications for the design but never came up with any.

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/28/2012 09:41:59 MDT Print View

Daryl,
Take a look at the copy of the patent that John submitted the link for. I would love a few of those!

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/28/2012 14:16:53 MDT Print View

Matt,

I took a look per your suggestion. Pretty cool improvements.

I love the languge in the patent write-up. It isn't easy to describe something as curvy as this thing but the author does a good job.

Daryl

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 08/28/2012 14:25:05 MDT Print View

Yes it does look cool. Some folks have a way with language, eh?

Angelo Radano
(zalmen_mlotek) - F

Locale: New England
Re: on 08/28/2012 16:27:08 MDT Print View

I am very excited to see where this goes. It has been great following along so far.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup - MYOG Project on 08/29/2012 18:01:22 MDT Print View

I printed out the Patent Drawing in a couple different sizes and made a few card stock mockups. The photos show three different sizes. The largest one is just under 5" wide. I am still tweaking the pattern and I think Matt said his was 5-1/2" wide. I need to find out how he measured the cup he has.

I am holding the cups together with #8-32 Nylon screws and nuts. Finding Rivets and what ever it takes to make them work may not be worth the cost just for one or two cups. For my own cup(s) I might just use try one with the Nylon screws and nuts. I can cut off the extra from the end of the screws and then heat the tip to melt a cap of sorts on that end. I might make one using the Nylon screws and nuts just to see how long it lasts.

The "for real" cup could be made from one of several different material I have on hand. I have .016" titanium, .018" Stainless Steel, 1/32" aluminum and a thin plastic. I will decide later tonight which I will try first but I might go with the aluminum till I decide if I need to change my pattern.

Edited by bfornshell on 08/29/2012 18:06:25 MDT.

Ed Tyanich
(runsmtns) - F - M
Folding Cup on 08/29/2012 18:09:34 MDT Print View

I have one I bought in the 70's and still use a lot.

I have often though about making some myself but it looks like Bill is well on the way.

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup - MYOG Project on 08/29/2012 18:24:23 MDT Print View

It's looking great. I simply measured the cup at the widest point using digital calipers.

I thought about scaling up and try a folding POT! :-D

Edited by onehappycampster on 08/29/2012 18:25:12 MDT.

Matt Porter
Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup - MYOG Project on 08/29/2012 21:28:56 MDT Print View

What if you simply laminated the paper?

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup - MYOG Project on 08/29/2012 22:56:55 MDT Print View

Here is the cup I usually carry:

I have several of them and they only weigh 1.31 ounces. I also thought about using some of this material but I don't have a piece large enough for the size Bob Lane cup I want without creases in it.

I have some Japanese paper that is waterproof. I thought about it but I don't think the two pieces would press together tight enough to hold water.

I just cut out the two pieces of 1/32" aluminum. When I weighed the two pieces of aluminum and the two nylon screws and nuts the weight is 40 grams or about 1.4 ounces. This will get a bit lighter after I file both pieces a little and cut the nylon screws to length.

Edited by bfornshell on 08/29/2012 23:01:24 MDT.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Bob Lane collapsible cup - MYOG Project on 08/30/2012 13:17:09 MDT Print View

I have now made a Bob Lane Cup - Clone out of two different materials. I made the first one out of some of my thin aluminum. It was however, 1/32" thick and after attaching the two pieces together I couldn't open the cup.

I then got out a piece of a thin plastic material (.020") I have called "Styrene" and made a second Lane Cup. This one does open and only weighs 13 grams / 0.46 ounces. The down side is that it leaks, drip, drip, drip, drip. It might be possible to tweak the pattern to reduce the leaking situation.

I plan to make at least two more test cups, one out of 0.010 aluminum and one out of 0.010 Stainless Steel.

The question for me now becomes "if I add a cup like this to my gear list" how do I plan to use it? If I want to drink out of it, my first version plastic cup leaks to much. If I only want to use it as a scope to get water from a creek or spring to put in a water filter, water bottle or other water container, then the fact that it leaks may not be that important.

At 0.46 ounce the plastic cup might be light enough to add to my gear list but it has to have a "real" job. Adding a cup like this to my gear list would only work for me if I don't have anything else to scope water with.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: Bob Lane Collapsible Cup - MYOG Project on 09/01/2012 18:00:09 MDT Print View

I have been playing with the "Styrene" Cup Clone #1 and have refined the edge to reduce "most to all" of the leaking problem. Most of the time now when I open it, it doesn't leak till I handle it a lot.

I think a cup like this would be good to scope water out of a shallow stream or water hole and maybe even to drink out of, but is that good enough to add almost an additional half ounce to my "Super Ultra Light" or "Lighter" gear list.

Since I drink from a bottle I haven't figure out yet what else I can do with a cup like this if I am carrying it.

and

A half ounce is a half ounce is a half ounce.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Bob Lane Collapsible Cup - MYOG Project on 09/01/2012 18:03:43 MDT Print View

Being a "one trick pony" makes it a tough fit if you adhere strictly to UL mantra. Maybe we know why you don't see them anymore.

Matt Porter
rubber seal on 09/01/2012 19:22:09 MDT Print View

To stop the very slow drip I thought about finding small rubber cord or tube and cut it down one side. Perhaps slipping that over the inside edge that rubs against the inside of the other piece will seal it up.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: rubber seal on 09/01/2012 20:41:52 MDT Print View

Hi Matt,

I also thought about some type of gasket material. I am sure something like that would work even a cut piece of paper as a gasket. I would expect to change it out for a new piece of paper often.

The question still for me is what can I replace if I decide to carry a cup like this.

My best idea for something using this design is a collapsible sun or rain hat. Something like the cone style hat worn in may of the Asian countries.

Edited by bfornshell on 09/01/2012 20:50:55 MDT.

Matt Porter
Re: Re: rubber seal on 09/01/2012 20:50:06 MDT Print View

Mylar tape folded over the edge? Possibly even Tyvek or even rubber from one of those punching ballon/balls folded over and adhered some way?

Edited by onehappycampster on 09/01/2012 21:56:04 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Bob Lane collapsible cup on 09/06/2012 23:18:07 MDT Print View

Bill, excellent to see you back in action in the workshop. I question (as you do) whether this is a worthy project however. I personally carry a mug that is pretty much solely designed for drinking coffee out of and although it's lightweight I don't care about it's weight all that much. You on the other hand have always been absolutely dedicated to each and every piece of gear's absolute purpose and I honestly wonder whether a piece of gear such as this has any place in your kit.

All of that nonsense aside I'm just happy to see you're in your workshop putting ideas to the test. I seriously love your designs.

j Fed
(Joyce777) - F
Bob Lane Cup on 10/21/2012 17:07:22 MDT Print View

Hello everyone! I joined this forum because I HAVE a "Bob Lane Cup" that was my Dad's. I was googling it to see exactly what it was, and found this thread.

My Dad was an avid hiker, camper and outdoorsmen. If any of you would like this cup(for free)I am sure Dad would want someone to have it who appreciates it.

You can pm me. Once you contact me, I will give you my cell phone number so you know I am not a scammer.

I just believe that giving in any way we can, will add to our good karma.

Joyce

Edited by Joyce777 on 10/21/2012 17:23:08 MDT.

j Fed
(Joyce777) - F
Bob Lane Cup on 10/21/2012 17:56:01 MDT Print View

I am happy to say, the Bob Lane cup has found a new home with one of your members. :)

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Bob Lane collapsible cup on 10/22/2012 09:30:43 MDT Print View

That's very nice of you, Joyce. Thanks for sharing!

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Bob Lane collapsible cup on 10/22/2012 13:13:27 MDT Print View

^^ Hey look, it's SAM!^^

Since we're looking for UL leaky cups to grab water from a stream, check out the one God gave me:

Hands

Edited by regultr on 10/22/2012 13:19:38 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Bob Lane collapsible cup on 10/22/2012 13:16:54 MDT Print View

I like to troll once in awhile ; )