Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » ultralight and adjustable wire cloth wood stove?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
ultralight and adjustable wire cloth wood stove? on 08/27/2012 15:51:47 MDT Print View

I have the Emberlit UL mini wood stove that I really like.

It does have some drawbacks. Mostly that the height and size of the unit isn't adjustable.

I was thinking that a wire cloth wood stove might be able to do the same thing and be adjustable and hopefully for less weight.

It's 110g right now so that doesn't leave a TON of room to work with.

I could also maybe augment my Emberlit with an ultralight way to adjust it.

The main reason for adjusting the height is for making food in a frying pan where I want to change the heat.

Also, having it a bit larger would mean I could put larger items in the frying pan.

Thoughts?

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
Re: ultralight and adjustable wire cloth wood stove? on 08/28/2012 13:10:35 MDT Print View

How much adjustment are you talking? A few inches higher maybe? I was thinking you could possibly use a little of the hardware cloth fashioned into a rectangular shape to sit on to of the Emberlit stove. Would be very easy to make and/or use, also cheap and maybe add a few grams. Another thought I had was to use some small titanium rod to fix to the stove to provide a higher platform for your skillet/pot. I haven't figured out an exact design or way to attach to the Emberlit, but it's a start.

Good luck bro!

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
A FireFly stove on 08/29/2012 14:58:41 MDT Print View

comes with "large pot supports" that would put your fry pan higher up. It can be obtained with a fuel port that allows for temp control by moving long twigs into and out of the port, as you can also do with the Emberlit. It is very light. I'm on trail till 9/16 so will not work for you if you are in a hurry.