Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Midwest GGG this fall

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Midwest GGG Beaver Creek on 09/16/2012 08:04:43 MDT Print View

Now that my Oct schedule seems to be set I can finally say ... Count me in, both nights.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Re: Camp Site Midwest GGG on 09/16/2012 20:52:58 MDT Print View

If the site will hold six four person tents it will most likely only hold six solo tents maybe we should opt for the big site just in case? Then again we could always get a few extra sites if needed so Im good on what ever. Steaks sound great.

Looking at the park map ... the "main campground" is about 1/2 mile from the group camp area. But there appear to be walk-in and cart-in sites near the group sites.

I'd tend to lean towards whichever group site is roomier. But it might be smartest to get a count of how many tents there will be and how much room they require?

I'll start ... I'll be in either:
* a MYOG tarptent, roughly 5ft by 8ft plus some room for guy lines on three sides
* a shaped tarp, based on but slightly smaller than the Jay Ham tarp plans available here on BPL. Roughly 8ft by 6ft plus room for guylines on all four sides

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
Midwest GGG on 09/17/2012 05:44:44 MDT Print View

Tarptent Moment if I am alone otherwise a SMD Haven.

J P
(jpovs) - F - M
Re: Re: Camp Site Midwest GGG on 09/17/2012 06:13:40 MDT Print View

Sounds like I should get group site 2. Group sites 1 and 3 hold 15 people and one fire ring each. Group site 2 holds 60 people and 2 fire rings. Site 2 I agree with will be better for us. I will be using my Hexamid Twin or Duomid.

J P
(jpovs) - F - M
Midwest GGG Beaver Creek Valley MN State Park on 09/17/2012 11:38:47 MDT Print View

Its now booked. Group campsite G2. Hope to see you there 10/26 thru 10/28. Cost came to $107 and we can divide it up when we get there. Should be fun.
Beaver Creek Valley MN State Park

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGG on 09/17/2012 16:22:10 MDT Print View

Good job Josh. Looking forward to some grilling and gear geeking.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Re: Midwest GGG Beaver Creek Valley MN State Park on 09/17/2012 19:16:21 MDT Print View

Josh,

Thanks for arranging this!

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Midwest GGG on 09/19/2012 08:01:56 MDT Print View

Thanks for getting that lined up Josh

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGG on 10/05/2012 06:22:58 MDT Print View

Hey guys and gals,
I just got back from spending 5 glorious days with Mark Ries on the SHT. Mark and I will supply a meal of steak, potato, and grillin beans Friday night to kick things off. We will need a firm head count by October 24th. Also this would be a great time to bring along plenty of gear for show and tell and possibly a swap. Mark will probably flesh that thought out somewhat better. I have inserted a link to our hike pictures which featured possibly the best fall colors I have ever seen. We did the section from Cook Cty 1 to State Hwy 1 (about 42 Miles) from Sept 29 - Oct 3).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1948n/sets/72157631691988454/

Dave

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGG on 10/07/2012 11:14:51 MDT Print View

I just called the park ranger at Beaver Creek and he said the water will be turned off on the 22nd but that we can get water in the shop area. There will be someone working 8-4 on both Friday and Saturday so wood will have to be picked up during those hours. Let's start chatting so we can get that stuff covered.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Midwest GGG` on 10/07/2012 11:55:08 MDT Print View

Im kinda wondering if the group meal would not be better on sat night as it will be getting dark early and Im not sure when everyone will be able to get there on friday. I will try to make it up early to get firewood for friday as I can not bring any since im coming from out of state and I dont think MN will allow that. I will bring a few gallons of water. Do Mn state parks allow you to collect downed firewood?

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGG on 10/07/2012 13:10:42 MDT Print View

Have to buy firewood there. Yeah, we could do the meal earlier on Saturday. I'll bring a couple of large water containers.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Re: Midwest GGG` on 10/07/2012 18:00:22 MDT Print View

Do Mn state parks allow you to collect downed firewood?

Nope

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGGG on 10/09/2012 08:26:24 MDT Print View

If anyone wants to see them I could bring these shelters along;

Stephenson Warmlite 2R
Tarptent Moment
SMD Haven
GG SpinnTwinn w/ Yama Mountain Gear Bugtent(1 and 2 person)

J P
(jpovs) - F - M
Re: Midwest GGGG on 10/09/2012 08:35:30 MDT Print View

David, I was looking at your pictures of the SHT hike. The colors look awsome. What tarp is it that you used in the pictures? Could you please bring that one? Im looking at getting a tarp in the future, so that would help me in deciding what size I might need.
Also put me down for a steak. That should be very good.
I should be there Friday at mid day.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGGG on 10/09/2012 10:21:40 MDT Print View

SpinnTwinn and I will bring it.

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Iowa
GGG & G on 10/13/2012 15:29:36 MDT Print View

I have been following this thread, and Mark has kinda kept me informed about what is going on. I plan on being there as long as nothing comes up. I was planning on being up there about noon or so. That way Josh doesn't have to sit around all afternoon, and we can round up a bunch of firewood. I've heard about the group dinner and was wondering if anyone wanted to do a group breakfast. I've got a Dutch oven we could use for a breakfast casserole. Just let me know.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGGG on 10/13/2012 17:29:58 MDT Print View

Doug,
I presume you want in on the steaks. Bring the Dutch.

Dave

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
GGG's on 10/13/2012 19:05:33 MDT Print View

So what are the requirements to get in on a GGG? I'm in NE Illinois and Beaver Creek Valley is about 5 1/2 hours away.

I take it this is a "check out everybody's gear and get to know the community" type of event?

KJ

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Midwest GGG this fall. on 10/13/2012 19:33:15 MDT Print View

Count me in!

Also if anyone wants to hit up the SHT sometime just let me know!