Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Midwest GGG this fall

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: Midwest GGG on 08/28/2012 22:01:51 MDT Print View

David Noll did you get the PM I sent earlier today? I know we have had problems with that in the past

J P
(jpovs) - F - M

Locale: North Shore
Re: Re: Midwest GGG on 08/28/2012 22:29:10 MDT Print View

Any where in MN and any date after the first weekend in October works for me. SE is especialy good for me since i have a few state parks down there to cross off the list. We might get lucky and still have fall colors then too. During the postings for the last Midwest GGG or GGGG, someone mentioned about doing an outing at Afton over the winter. I hope this is still a possibility.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
Midwest GGG on 08/29/2012 05:36:38 MDT Print View

Mark,
Got one from Josh but yours did not show up yet. I'll give you a call today.

Dave

Edited by dpnoll on 08/29/2012 05:41:38 MDT.

Anthony Analetto
(Fubar2us) - F

Locale: MidWest USA
Re: Midwest GGG on 09/04/2012 02:38:24 MDT Print View

Depending on the date I would love to do one in MN. Can also do WI as long as it is close to the MN side.

Anthony Analetto
(Fubar2us) - F

Locale: MidWest USA
Re: Midwest GGG on 09/04/2012 02:38:24 MDT Print View

double post, sorry

Edited by Fubar2us on 09/04/2012 03:11:47 MDT.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Midwest GGG date on 09/04/2012 08:43:46 MDT Print View

I would be good for any oct date except the first weekend. Since MN seems to be the area of choice could someone up there do the leg work on finding a place to hold this? I do have a old MN guidebook but have no knowledge of what the parks would be like. So everybody what weekends work and where are we gonna do this?

J P
(jpovs) - F - M

Re: Midwest GGG date on 09/04/2012 09:26:56 MDT Print View

There's two state parks in MN that look like possibilities. Great River Bluffs on the Mississippi River, and Beaver Creek Valley. Beaver Creek valley doesn't allow trout fishing after September. Both Parks have group campsites. For the seconed weekend in October GRB has all 4 available, while BCV has 2 out of 3 left. The park manager at BCV said the peak for fall colors is typically the 2nd or 3rd weekend in October, but with the dry summer could happen sooner. The costs are $50 per night for a group camp plus reservation fee. BCV group sites sound like there a little close together. Still waiting to hear back from GRB.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/great_river_bluffs/index.html
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/beaver_creek_valley/index.html

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Re: Midwest GGG date on 09/04/2012 10:25:44 MDT Print View

Either one sounds good to me Josh, looking forward to seeing you and winnie again. Fishing is not a priority. Thanks for checking on those. I guess we will wait for others opinions and what dates work best. Please let us know if you can make it friday and or saturday night.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGG on 09/04/2012 14:38:52 MDT Print View

Mary and I will try to make it.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Midwest GGG on 09/06/2012 21:57:04 MDT Print View

Beaver Creek Valley State Park has been mentioned more than once and its location is relatively central to the northern midwest. There are three primitive group sites, two handle up to 15 people, the other can handle 60 and they appear to be currently available the last weekend of October (Oct 26-28). Cost is $50 per night (plus some small fee to the reservation service, I think.

Questions:

1) One night or two?
2) Are we willing all pitch in to share the cost?
3) Who can commit?

If we end up doing two nights I think it'd be fairest to divide up the cost of each night separately so that folks staying only one night are not paying for something they did not use.

Mitchell Rossman
(bigmitch)

Locale: Minneapolis-St. Paul
Midwest GCG on 09/07/2012 08:58:10 MDT Print View

I am interested, depending upon the date..

The camping cost is minimal, so I will pay for two nights, even if I only stay for one. Anything to make life easy for the organizer.

J P
(jpovs) - F - M

Re: Re: Midwest GGG on 09/07/2012 09:15:25 MDT Print View

Jim, I like the date of October 26-28 better. I would be willing to do both nights. Beaver Creek sounds good.

Mark, Winnie and I look forward to seeing you too.

Will this be another GGGG (Gathering of the Grilling Gear Gods)?

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGG on 09/07/2012 12:49:37 MDT Print View

Mary and I should be able to make it that weekend. Since it is only about a 65 yard hike from the parking lot grilling would be in order.

Edited by dpnoll on 09/07/2012 12:55:43 MDT.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Midwest GGG this fall on 09/07/2012 13:43:18 MDT Print View

Has anyone been to Beaver Creek Vally SP before I have read a little on line and talked to the ranger. Depending on turn out we might get along with the walk in sites as they are only $16 per night I doubt we will see the group sites fill this time of year so maybe wait just a bit on resevations, what do ya think??? David and Josh yeah I think grilling is in order

Mary R
(pietimer) - MLife
Re: Midwest GGG this fall on 09/12/2012 14:23:50 MDT Print View

I should be able to make it + 1

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGG on 09/14/2012 19:00:00 MDT Print View

I will bring up to 8 steaks Friday night. Same ones as last time. Will also bring my BWCA pan with to do fried potatoes.

J P
(jpovs) - F - M

Re: Midwest GGG on 09/15/2012 10:01:32 MDT Print View

It looks like we have maybe 10 people so far? If we as a group are OK with October 26th thru 28th I have no problem booking it. I contacted the Beaver Creek Valley State Park again and the walkin sites can fit about one four person tent each? I personally would rather do a group site then were all together instead of being branched off by our selfs. According to the park staff group camp 1 would be the best for our size of a group and offer what privacy there is. Group one can fit about 6 four person tents. If this is what were ok doing I think we should book it sooner than later so we got it set. The cost for reserving it is $7 per site for the weekend.
David, steaks sound great. I'll have to get there earlier this time to get some.

Edited by jpovs on 09/15/2012 10:04:43 MDT.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Midwest GGG on 09/15/2012 10:56:36 MDT Print View

Josh,
Go for it. I agree the group site would be better.

J P
(jpovs) - F - M

Re: Midwest GGG Beaver Creek on 09/15/2012 18:17:03 MDT Print View

Sounds good. I'll place the reservation on Monday, unless anyone that has shown interest cant make it. If you can't make it please speak up as it would be cool for everyone can make it. :)

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Camp Site Midwest GGG on 09/16/2012 08:02:59 MDT Print View

If the site will hold six four person tents it will most likely only hold six solo tents maybe we should opt for the big site just in case? Then again we could always get a few extra sites if needed so Im good on what ever. Steaks sound great.