Three piece 5' spinning rod?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Three piece 5' spinning rod? on 08/23/2012 11:07:37 MDT Print View

Are there any vendors that make a three piece 5' ultralight spinning rod?

I have a two piece rod now. The weight savings won't be massive but having three pieces will prevent it from sticking out past the end of my pack.

The travel rods kind of suck. While they are compact the sensitivity sucks. I realize I will be trading some sensitivity for the three piece 5' rod but I think it would be reasonable.

I'm *kind* of a snob when it comes to fishing rods and I don't want to use a piece of junk while I'm out there. Most of the ultralight tradeoffs are somewhat reasonable though.

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
3 piece rod on 08/26/2012 12:18:22 MDT Print View

I've been wanting the same thing and have not really found it. Closest so far were the following:

Bass Pro Shops Microlite 3 piece light action 5 1/2 foot rod - heavier than what I really wanted, but serviceable

Shakespeare Ugly Stik 3 piece light action 5 foot rod - a bit of a broomstick, but it's one of the few rods I have that's tough enough to stick it in the pack's side pouch without a case of some kind, even when bushwhacking

Daiwa spin-matic x ultralight 4 piece rod, in range of lengths. It's 4 pieces, but it has much better feel for ultralight fishing than either of the 3 piece light action rods.

If you find something better, please let us know!

Best,

Bill S.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

good alternative... on 08/28/2012 10:13:41 MDT Print View

I found this and bought it from Cabelas.

http://tinyurl.com/9ddhhco

Looks like JUST what I want. It's 5'6" and 76g and 4 pieces.

if the action and sensitivity are good I think I will be set.

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: good alternative... on 08/28/2012 15:19:27 MDT Print View

Which rod is it? That url only gets me to the Cabelas home page.

Thanks!

Bill S.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Daiwa 4 piece on 08/29/2012 09:03:05 MDT Print View

My buddy had two of the Spinmatic 4-parters on our recent trip, and I fished with one for a bit. That's a neat pole that breaks down nicely and has a better feel than my son's collapsible Shakespeare "travel mate" rod. It cost three times as much, though.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Re: Re: good alternative... on 08/30/2012 17:07:23 MDT Print View

mea culpa.

http://www.basspro.com/St-Croix-Triumph-Series-Spinning-Rods-with-Rod-Case/product/103661/

that rod. 5'6" and 4 pieces.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Does it come with a on 08/31/2012 07:53:01 MDT Print View

Hundred bucks?! Gnarly. Now, which reel is worthy of such a fine pole?

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Re: Does it come with a on 08/31/2012 12:43:57 MDT Print View

I bought an ultralight 5oz reel and I wasn't happy with it... it doesn't engage quickly after I cast and it has a high amount of resistance so it makes it harder to focus on feeling for a hit.

Scott Truong
(elf773)

Locale: Vancouver, BC
St. Croix Triumph on 09/06/2012 15:28:32 MDT Print View

Did you buy the St. Croix? You like? I have a $10 Cabela's telescopic, but it's med-light, I'd like an ultralight rod..mulling over price and convenience factor.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

bought it. on 11/26/2012 13:45:44 MST Print View

yup... here's my review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2EbCi2zlYw