How much fill is normal for an EXPED / DAM mattress?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Moreno
(flyingtoaster) - F
How much fill is normal for an EXPED / DAM mattress? on 08/22/2012 17:36:11 MDT Print View

Just bought a Stephenson's Warmlite DAM and I am concerned whether it has enough down filling. I wouldn't be concerned if the mattress wasn't so easy to see through. The stuff that is in there is nice and fluffy and moves around when I shake it, but there are a lot of empty spots. Can anybody tell me whether this is normal?

I could have walked 10 minutes to the REI near my house and picked up an Exped Downmat UL 7, but I prefer to buy from an American small business. I would like to feel like I got a decent product.Stephenson's Warmlite DAM

Edited by flyingtoaster on 08/22/2012 17:38:14 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
How much fill is normal for an EXPED / DAM mattress? on 08/22/2012 17:59:57 MDT Print View

The 72" DM7 has 6oz of down.
The UL7 has the same R rating so probably the same fill.
Franco

Michael Richey
(beaverboymike) - M

Locale: Southern Utah
DAM on 08/22/2012 19:00:59 MDT Print View

I've got both the Stephenson's DAM and the new ultralight Exped downmat, and I find them both very warm. I've slept in a -20 F sleeping bag with slim baselayer directly on the snow with the DAM in -17 F temps and slept perfectly warm. I don't think you'll find it to be cold, eventhough it seems like there isn't much down in their.

Ryan Moreno
(flyingtoaster) - F
RE: DAM on 08/22/2012 19:10:36 MDT Print View

Thanks for the input. Any reason you bought the UL7 when you already owned a Stevenson's DAM? The DAM seems to be about an inch thicker and only a little heavier. I am a side sleeper and my hip touched the ground on the Exped DM 7 (no UL in stock) at REI.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: How much fill is normal for an EXPED / DAM mattress? on 08/23/2012 07:35:39 MDT Print View

The Downmat 7 that I had was advertised with 6oz of down. It was the older style with the pump bag and was wicked warm. I could have sworn it generated its own heat.

Michael Richey
(beaverboymike) - M

Locale: Southern Utah
Why I bought Exped UL Down mattress on 08/24/2012 14:42:09 MDT Print View

I had the NeoAir for my wife that I occasionally used. But I found it to not be warm enough with my quilt. Plus the large NeoAir was difficult to fit inside any of my bivies. So I replaced it with something that was much warmer and would fit inside of my bivies.