Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
In-N-Out Burger - say it ain't so!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Re: In-N-Out Burger - say it ain't so! on 08/25/2012 15:00:40 MDT Print View

Craig,
"Actually, that would be the price the animal pays because we like to eat meat."

Hmmm...pretty hard to argue with that observation.

Tom

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: In-N-Out Burger - say it ain't so! on 08/25/2012 18:07:21 MDT Print View

rocky

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Re: In-N-Out Burger - say it ain't so! on 08/25/2012 20:15:27 MDT Print View

Terry's indifference is frightening.

The only reason why things like the facts of this story exist is because too many people are indifferent.

I'm a bona fide carnivore. But I refuse to patronize establishments and companies like this.

Edited by T.L. on 08/25/2012 20:17:19 MDT.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
In-N-Out Burger - say it ain't so! on 08/25/2012 23:54:40 MDT Print View

I already had knowledge of how the farmers prepare meat I lived on avocado ranch. Our neighbors raised a couple cows and pigs and the local slaughter would show up and prepare the meat for them. All the kids in the valley would show up to watch.
He would prepare the meat off the back off his pick up truck and had a portable butcher table and his son wrapping the meat. He had 3 different 50 gallon drums to throw the guts,bone,skin in to take to the local rendering plant.

I use to hunt with my Father and he taught me how to prepare a deer, game birds, rabbits and I have cleaned a ton of fish when I was 6 years old. My uncle worked at poultry packing plant in Nebraska.

It just a fact their is no humane way to slaughter a animal and never well be.

I also cut my vegetable and fruit inhumanly too.

Terry

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: In-N-Out Burger - say it ain't so! on 08/26/2012 01:06:23 MDT Print View

Terry, the argument (at least from me....PETA might disagree) isn't that animals are being killed, but that virtually all other aspects of the company's practices are questionable to say the very least.

I buy buffalo meat from a local rancher in Wisconsin. As I drive to the barn/shop, I drive past acres and acres of open land where the buffalo live. I see firsthand what the conditions are. I talk to the very man that kills them. He can tell me what they eat, how they maintain the land so there is adequate and proper food for the buffalo, how the buffalo live, and about many of the buffalos' personalities, because its his livelihood to raise these animals to slaughter. And then he kills them for food.

Ok, yes, any killing is "inhumane," but its a fact of life for humans. From mastadons to cattle, we've been killing animals for food for eons. What's at issue here is how the animals have been raised and fed. When I can help it, I won't patronize companies that accept abusive practices.

Maybe not a fair comparison, but imagine you had two choices in life. One was to live your life relatively free, but you'd be killed when you hit the age of 40. The other was to live a life of abuse and neglect with horrible living conditions, and still be killed when you hit the age of 40. What's your choice? The animals we raise for food don't have that choice.

Disclaimer: Yes, I eat fast food once in a while, and I'm also fully aware that at some points in time I patronize a company whose practices conflict with my beliefs. I'm not perfect and claim no superiority over anyone. But some effort is better than none.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
In-N-Out Burger - say it ain't so! on 08/26/2012 11:24:20 MDT Print View

"Maybe not a fair comparison, but imagine you had two choices in life. One was to live your life relatively free, but you'd be killed when you hit the age of 40. The other was to live a life of abuse and neglect with horrible living conditions, and still be killed when you hit the age of 40. What's your choice? The animals we raise for food don't have that choice."

Ah, but you're forgetting a third choice people can make on behalf of animals: do not raise them to kill them at all.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: In-N-Out Burger - say it ain't so! on 08/26/2012 13:06:08 MDT Print View

I have eaten one time at In-N-Out. Terrible. I rarely eat beef anymore for health reasons. This story further validates that decision from a moral standpoint.