Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tuolumne to Devils Postpile in late September?
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Pain
(iceberglake)

Locale: Road trip
Tuolumne to Devils Postpile in late September? on 08/21/2012 16:59:47 MDT Print View

Wondering if anyone has any good weather/climate resources or thoughts for a short trip from Tuolumne Meadows to Devils Postpile and back via the JMT from Sept. 22-28. Is that getting too late for snow? Thanks. John

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
z on 08/21/2012 18:47:51 MDT Print View

I got snowed in on Oct 1st, I think it was 2009 in the Roughs in the Hoover Wilderness.
It just depends on the year whether you see snow that early or not.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: z on 08/21/2012 19:14:05 MDT Print View

Anthony is right...though I would guess that late Sept. is pretty safe...The Nice thing about your route is that you have multiple bail points...though I feel you will not need them. I would consider this, it will be getting cooler at night...maybe some frost on yer bag but really that is about it. Late shoulder season in the Sierra is AMAZING!

John Pain
(iceberglake)

Locale: Road trip
Thanks! on 08/22/2012 16:10:37 MDT Print View

I appreciate the advice. I can't wait. My first time in the Sierras!

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: September on 08/23/2012 08:59:10 MDT Print View

Much fewer t-storms this time of year too!

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Tuolumne to Devils Postpile in late September? on 08/23/2012 21:45:11 MDT Print View

I've been snowed on/out for the last 4 years for trips either to Yosemite or JM Wilderness areas in early Oct. However, in a day or two, it cleared up and was nice again. One year I was hiking in my shorts thru 4 " of snow the second day out, ate dinner in my sb that night to warm up. The third day out, swimming at a lake with my gear on rocks/logs drying out, well worth hanging in there. The last two years I just did the PCT close to home, hiking where I had not been before or car camping close to home that week. This year I'm going late Sept. for a road trip I think.
Duane