Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Anyone Practice Trail Communism?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Hey Ryan on 08/23/2012 16:54:10 MDT Print View

I think it is better to help the person at the trailhead to lower their pack weight...or help them pick better gear. I have a friend whose girlfriend doesn't have gear. She was using one of his packs for dayhiking. Hearing that I realized I had a brand new Osprey day pack I had won last year. Tags on, never used. It fit her perfectly. Better than her having his lumpy old pack on her back ;-) And she looks great in it :-)

And to anyone off-en-ded by my statement above? Pfffttttt...I know plenty of ladies who picked husbands similar in height to them so they wouldn't have big kids :-P One of my hiking partners is ever so proud of her dainty little girl. And never lets it pass that her baby is so light to carry (remind anyone of UL Froot-Loops bragging about how small their pack is??)

My mission in life apparently is to offend people. Or something.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Hey Ryan on 08/23/2012 17:11:02 MDT Print View

"I chose to have large Scottish-descent children with a man a foot taller than me, rather than sire a couple of small, waif-like children with a tiny man."

That must have been one heck of a Match.com add - Wanted, large man to sire large children. Scottish descent a plus. Must like backpacking. UL on your back is fine, UL anywhere else on you is not.... ;-)

"My mission in life apparently is to offend people."

I wish I knew what my mission in life was. And that I was so well suited to it...... ;-)

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
I agree with Sarah on 08/23/2012 18:55:07 MDT Print View

"I think it is better to help the person at the trailhead to lower their pack weight...or help them pick better gear."

I 100% agree with this. If I was going out with a group and saw one person grossly over-packed we would have that discussion in the parking lot before we hit the trail. That's a much better time to address that issue than to later add a bunch of weight to your own pack, if it will even fit. My pack is just large enough to accept my load out- I don't have any extra space.

Edited by EagleRiverDee on 08/23/2012 18:55:56 MDT.

Erik Basil
(EBasil)

Locale: Atzlan
straps are for the needy on 08/23/2012 22:11:37 MDT Print View

:) When someone plans to benefit from group gear and claims they just don't have enough space in their pack... that's when bust out my collection of straps, bungies and string. It's cool, you don't HAVE to fit it. We'll just tie it on there for you. Complaining? Ah, turns out we do need the Coleman 2-burner...

Enjoi'!

OF COURSE, it's better to adjust loads and ditch surplusage before departing the trailhead. And, while at that trailhead or the shakedown meeting, and once it's established that absolutely nobody is carrying more underwear or layers than the PC crowd have determined is correct, and the crowd has overcome the blame game for those who didn't buy the Western Mountaineering sleeping bag that weighs only 15 ounces in the midget size, and the discussion over whether that 9-inch Rambo knife is really gonna be of use has been completed, and someone's come into acceptance that "some people" might have sleeping pads weighing more than 114 grams, then there may come a time where allocation of group gear might properly involve some allocations and acceptances beyond "divide the weight by the number of people".

At least it does among those I'm willing to backpack with. No PrimaCommieDonnas need apply.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
I do on 08/24/2012 11:14:07 MDT Print View

I always divide up all essential gear among members of my party.

'course I always hike alone.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Then there's this guy... on 08/24/2012 12:29:46 MDT Print View

This guy wins the prize for helping carry extra gear (for his girlfriend with a new heel blister).

Carrying extra gear

On another note, at Morningstar Lake in GNP a few weeks ago, there were 3 parties, myself (solo), 2 guys, and three ladies in the 3 tent sites (plus 3 huge male moose that bedded down nearby after dark). Everybody was rocking a Tarptent, something I'd never seen before. The others did carry a few things that were a bit heavy, but not their tents.

My Contrail, sagging in the morning from heavy condensation, due to proximity to the lake and zero breeze:

Contrail

The two dudes and their Double Rainbow:

Dbl Rainbow

The shy ladies hiding inside their Hogback:

Hogback

The youngest moose, paying me a visit in the afternoon:

Moose

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 08/24/2012 13:24:32 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/24/2012 15:42:19 MDT Print View

Gary
Please add (and or use) the apex guyline to your Contrail.
Pretty please...
Franco

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Contrail police on 08/24/2012 17:13:16 MDT Print View

Busted from down under! Dang it, Franco, I figured you'd be asleep when I posted that. So another guy line, another stake? You trying to set me up with gram-creep, or what? But since you said "pretty please," I'll do it next time.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Communication on 08/27/2012 06:48:36 MDT Print View

It probably helps that I "taught" my backpacking buddies how to backpack and they've come to understand that extra grams become extra ounces which, in turn, become extra pounds.

Before each trip I initiate a lot of communication with everyone - telling them specifically what I will be providing them (with weights) as well as making them tell me exactly what they're planning on bringing.

If someone brings something that was not "pre-approved" it's not a problem, but they know they're expected to carry it. For example, I have a group first aid kit (and probably the most training in how to use it). If someone wants to bring their own first aid kit that's fine, but they'll carry it.

One of the things that keeps my buddies "in line" is that they know that we'll have a start of trip weigh-in where each pack, just before we hit the trail (so that it has all water and food in it) will be weighed and the weights recorded. It helps that we never have anyone with a pack that starts much above 20 pounds.

Alpo Kuusisto
(akuusist) - F - M
Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/27/2012 16:06:03 MDT Print View

Anecdote tells of a not so young doctor who was concerned the employees in his hospital didn't get enough workout during the day to stay healthy.
As he spotted young nurses approaching elevators on the ground floor, he rushed to open the door for them as a gentleman. He then noted the button they pressed, and ran stairs to the corresponding floor, to open the door as a gentleman for the astonished ladies.

Gentleman's behavior, with a touch of humour perhaps, might be a good way of making the point of a lightweight pack. Has lightening the pack lost it's original idea and become a goal in itself, when a backpacker is not willing to share the load of a friend?

Edited by akuusist on 08/27/2012 16:20:54 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/27/2012 17:17:20 MDT Print View

"Has lightening the pack lost it's original idea and become a goal in itself, when a backpacker is not willing to share the load of a friend?"

An eloquent statement that Americans, obsessed with individualism, would do well to ponder, IMO. Thank you, Alpo.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/27/2012 17:41:40 MDT Print View

Me share a tent with someone other than my wife....nooooooo way.....I fart a lot

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
This song and - Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/27/2012 18:55:20 MDT Print View

I heard this on the radio today and thought about this tread.

I make no opinions one way or the other- just food for thought...

For those less inclined to read: He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

THE HOLLIES
"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"
(B. Scott and B. Russell)

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me
If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another
It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He's my brother
He ain't heavy, he's my brother...

Edited by bestbuilder on 08/27/2012 18:56:48 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/27/2012 20:54:39 MDT Print View

"I fart a lot"

Better than snoring. ;0)

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/30/2012 14:33:49 MDT Print View

I have offered to carry some weight for my boyfriend. But his pride keeps him from accepting the offer. We try to practice "communism" when it comes to the tent, each carrying equal halves of it. I haven't been on a group hike with communal gear since I was a kid. Back then we all had to carry a pot or a washtub or some crazy thing like that.

P.S. I love that picture of the moose!!!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/30/2012 15:02:24 MDT Print View

""I fart a lot"

Better than snoring. ;0)"

Depends on how bad your breath smells......

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/30/2012 15:30:06 MDT Print View

No Tom, my snoring is quite legendary

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/30/2012 15:31:00 MDT Print View

Love it Doug! So true haha

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/30/2012 16:48:09 MDT Print View

"Depends on how bad your breath smells......"

;)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism? on 08/30/2012 16:49:22 MDT Print View

"No Tom, my snoring is quite legendary"

Ah, but does your breath stink?