Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: 2014 Bob Open on 06/03/2013 18:16:09 MDT Print View

I am open to any and all ideas, with a few caveats.

Being in Glacier NP is (unfortunately) a non-starter. Regulations concerning vaguely organized events are rather different, and the need for BC permits would seriously alter the style.

Memorial day weekend will remain the date, for certain and ever. No other time of year provides the same experience.

I do want to keep making each year doable without a packraft. That said, I do intend to keep elevating the role water will play in route planning.

Length is a tricky thing. Originally I wanted the course long enough to be big, but short enough that if someone wanted to do 15 mile days, it would still be doable in a week.

Jon, your idea about rewarding creative route options is dear to my own heart. My hope is that as participation slowly grows, folks will come along and do routes which are obviously not the quickest, just the most fun for them. That should reflect in the reports and encourage similar behavior.

I suppose I should conclude by coming out and saying that my first pick for 2014 is Challenge Cabin to Monture Creek TH. Not sold on that by any means, though.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
2014 Course on 06/03/2013 18:23:59 MDT Print View

It can't be too far south because I discarded the bottom 1/4 of my map :)

Edited by dandydan on 06/03/2013 18:24:56 MDT.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Combo, bob and Glacier on 06/03/2013 19:34:23 MDT Print View

How do they treat trips that originate outside of the park then end or go through the park? As far as organized, this is no more organized than any meetup trip like the one that some BPLers are planning in the upper NY state. I looking for a creative way to make Glacier work because that could be the ultimate Memorial Day trip. the Bob could work again. With the significant difference in weather each year an identical start and end point next year would be a whole different trip.

Greg Gedney
(ggedney) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountain Region
2014 thoughts on 06/03/2013 22:11:52 MDT Print View

I like the idea of something in the 100 plus mile range as it leads to multiple options. I for one will be mulling over the task through the summer and hope to have a more substantive response after further map review. However, by all means lets start further south as it gives Dan something to dig through the trash for :) Thanks everyone for the enjoyable time! Time to ponder...

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 2014 on 06/05/2013 11:01:10 MDT Print View

At first glance, Challenge to Monture looks long and intimidating and even made me a little scared. Sounds perfect.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: Glacier and the Bob 2014 on 06/05/2013 13:21:00 MDT Print View

It is probably true that we're not "organized" enough to run afoul of GNP regs. Not many people get permits in late May, so they'd figure out something was up pretty fast.

The larger issue is that Glacier terrain is bigger enough that a point to point course wouldn't offer more than one or two obvious routes. Though in late May and with proper care some bold folks with mountaineering skills could take some big shortcuts. One option for folks, especially those on vacation, would be to do a more mellow prologue over a couple days in Glacier, resupply at the Open start, and continue on. Might do that myself, in fact.

Though I'm leaning heavily towards the Bob for next year, I do intend to do a very snowy, high mountain course somewhere else, and soon. The Beartooth Plateau is a leading candidate, but I need more personal experience to evaluate the possibilities. I'd like a route where hikers, skiers, and snowshoers all have an roughly equal chance at being the most efficient answer.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

2013 Bob report on 06/12/2013 08:39:07 MDT Print View

Got the summary report together here: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2013/06/12/2013-bob-marshall-wilderness-open-the-officially-unofficial-report/

Cyrus and Kate, and Sam and Chris, if ya'll want more details of your journeys in there I'd be glad to add them.