Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg Gedney
(ggedney) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountain Region
Spring Rafting on 03/29/2013 10:25:40 MDT Print View

I agree with Dave, if you are going to raft I would suggest nothing less that Alpaca rafts. With regard to carpooling, I plan on flying into Kalispell on that Thursday and would be all for contributing to the car pool fund. I would appreciate a ride from either Dave or Cyrus.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Carpool on 03/29/2013 10:48:26 MDT Print View

Cyrus, Chris and I would be interested in carpooling too. We arrive in Kalispell at 11:39AM that Friday, then we have to rent a car and go buy some bear spray and fuel, so we might not be able to make it to Bear Creek until 2:00 PM or so. If that's too late we can try to coordinate with Dave.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Carpooling on 03/29/2013 15:36:39 MDT Print View

I'm hoping for a car pool from Bear Creek, but 1 pm is a bit early for me. I could make it happen, but was hoping to leave Ontario after work on Thursday (less days off) and then roll into Bear Creek mid-late afternoon.

Edited by dandydan on 03/29/2013 16:17:25 MDT.

Cyrus Dietz
(CyCalvin)

Locale: Midwest
Friday on 03/30/2013 16:17:36 MDT Print View

We can work out a time that works for everyone, and it sounds like Dave will be comming through later in the day. I was looking forward to checking out the area Friday afternoon anyway. I am so stoked!

tyler marlow
(like.sisyphus) - F

Locale: UTAH
ok, no water for me! on 03/31/2013 17:16:27 MDT Print View

Hah, yeah it seems that i'm heading in the wrong direction with my route planning. Working off google earth has a learning curve that i dont think i've really made it past.

Dont worry guys, I wont be rafting anything :)

I'll have the Cairn maps soon!

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
A great snapshot on 03/31/2013 17:35:56 MDT Print View

Tyler,
I'm still try to learn this new area, Montana. I was all excited watching the last few days, the Flathead was running about 50% above median. Today the flow was just over 1600cfs which is in the 75th percentile. I lost my enthusiasm a bit when I saw this chart. I realized how insignificant that 1600cfs really was. Look at the mean flow for the dates of our trip.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/dvstat/?site_no=12358500&por_12358500_4=66258,00060,4

Edited by gg-man on 03/31/2013 17:56:45 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

BMWO on 04/14/2013 07:18:33 MDT Print View

Looks like the melt is proceeding nicely in the Bob. Good to see spring is showing up somewhere.

I picked up some MSR Shift snowshoes yesterday. I still think I'm going to want those - at least for the upcoming training if not the actual event.

MF Flathead

Cyrus Dietz
(CyCalvin)

Locale: Midwest
Spring on 04/15/2013 11:32:38 MDT Print View

I hear you Dan, here in Minnesota it appears we are still in the middle of winter. I was amazed at how fast the middle fork picked up volume! Around here most of the lakes have a foot of ice on them and the rivers are flowing below the 25 percentile.

I want to be in Montana...

casey redder
(credder) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
BOB Open on 04/18/2013 14:25:19 MDT Print View

I might see you guys up there... want to find the "secret" path to the top of the wall... burnt creek i believe... went last year to indian point about the time you guys are leaving... the litte streams were pumping and the prarrie that indian point is next to was a marsh... lots of bear sign too.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: Bob Open on 04/19/2013 07:36:23 MDT Print View

Be great to have you Casey. Was just down in your neck of the woods for a conference; great singletrack right outside town.

Chris Johnson
(MontanaChris)
Attendance? Check! on 04/24/2013 22:53:22 MDT Print View

I know that Kalispell has atleast two more locals that will be representing. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Alex Joseph
(alxjalxj) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains grew up Lk Superior
Looking for ride from end to start line on 04/27/2013 12:38:06 MDT Print View

I will be coming down from Calgary on Friday afternoon/evening. Is there a car shuttle planned? Or others who want to share a ride?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

BMWO - Rides on 04/27/2013 20:17:32 MDT Print View

Nice to hear you're coming down.

There's been a little chatter on shuttles but nothing concrete so far. It seems like there's quite a few people who'll be wanting rides. With the event 4 weeks away, this will hopefully take shape soon.

Edited by dandydan on 04/29/2013 20:20:09 MDT.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: BMWO rides on 04/29/2013 10:03:20 MDT Print View

Here's the deal on rides from the finish (parking lot @ Bear Creek) to the start at Benchmark.

Hopefully those who were going to contact Cyrus about this have already done so.

If you're still looking for a ride, you'll need to email dave at backpackinglight dot com by the end of this week. If there is more interest than will fit in my car (which seems highly likely) I'll be looking into renting a minivan, which should seat six plus myself and the driver. I'll take the first six names I get and ask for paypal or a check to secure your spot. The amount will cover the cost of a rental for 24 hours and gas, so somewhere between 20 and 30 a person. After a notification email goes out at the beginning of next week the first six will have a day or two to commit, after which time I'll move down the list (if there is one).

Pickup time at Bear Creek will depend on who is the shuttle driver and when that person (and I) can get off work. Around 5pm Friday is a safe bet for planning purposes. If there are Flathead folks who want in we can work out a meeting spot in the valley.

So, you have this week to speak up and commit.

In spite of what seemed like an earlier than usual melt off, snow conditions across elevations are more or less where they were last year. Mid elevations are probably a bit thinner. As usual, temperatures could do anything in the next three weeks and cause drastic changes, or little change at all.

Greg Gedney
(ggedney) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountain Region
Transportation arrangements on 04/29/2013 22:56:06 MDT Print View

My wife and I have altered our plans a little and plan to fly into and out of Great Falls. We will be renting a car in Great Falls on Thursday the 24th, driving to the Bear Creek TH on Friday with an anticipated arrival time of around noon. We plan on getting a car large enough to give two other people a ride, one spot of which has already been spoken for. We don't plan on leaving the Bear Creek TH area until after Dan gets down from the Thunder Bay area. Hopefully if we take Dan and one more person we can eliminate the need for Dave to rent a van and the inherent difficulties that would mean with respect to getting the van back out of Benchmark.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: Bob rides on 04/30/2013 07:49:30 MDT Print View

Thanks Greg, I appreciate it.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

BMWO rides on 05/06/2013 10:10:24 MDT Print View

All emails have been returned at this point, and plans are set. If you're late to the party feel free to contact me, but I can't guarantee anything.

Alex Joseph
(alxjalxj) - F

Anyone sharing their route? on 05/07/2013 16:33:00 MDT Print View

I am finally getting down to looking at potential routes for the first time since November...anyone else sharing their planned route?

Are people following the CDT for first 30km or more? Or even more by swinging east and going 75km or so before joining the Middle Fork?

Is everyone carrying a packraft for the final third of the race??? or walking along the Middle Fork...

Are others planning on veering west of the straight line between the start and finish and considering going over passes etc in the high country on the west side?

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
My routes on 05/07/2013 17:03:56 MDT Print View

Three possibilities depending on condition.
1) base - direct line up and over sun river pass and down the flathead. Roughly 90 miles
2) Chinese Wall Option. Head up the CDT along the Chinese wall then back down to sun river and over the pass. I think that's about 105
3) Super Swami option. Chinese wall option but follow red shale creek back up to the north section of the wall then back down to sun river and over the pass. This is about 120 miles and will require 40mpd.

Two decision points.
1) at start whether to do the Chinese wall option. The only way I won't is if there is sever overcast which would keep me from seeing the wall even if I'm next to it. Or second if there is heavy fresh snow. If I take the Chinese wall option I have to make it across and start back down to red shale creek. I will be targeting a 40 mile day even with the late start. How close I get to that target will dictate the next decision.
2) when I get down to red shale creek I would then decide whether to head back up and go back in the snow. If I take this then my target will be to camp just before the snow.

I have 72 hours to finish the route and make it back to Great Falls. This will factor into the decisions.

Who's next?

Alex Joseph
(alxjalxj) - F

Sun River Pass option on 05/07/2013 17:19:34 MDT Print View

Hiking Malto - thanks for sharing.

Question about your "direct"...

Is Sun River Pass located here 47.957514,-112.979622?

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Sun+River+pass,+MT,+United+States&hl=en&ll=47.958548,-113.075924&spn=0.097368,0.264187&sll=47.532038,-111.719971&sspn=3.141372,8.453979&t=p&hnear=Sun+River+Pass&z=13&iwloc=A

This would take you significantly east of the CDT...is that a choice due to snow potential on the CDT?