Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open on 08/21/2012 10:42:35 MDT Print View

New year, new course to keep things interesting. Benchmark TH (end of the road) to Bear Creek (parking lot where Highway 2 first leaves/meets the Middle Fork, south of Essex).

General idea: a bit less snow, a lot more water to worry about. Maybe.

If you don't know, beta and reports from 2012 are here: http://bedrockandparadox.com/bob-marshall-wilderness-open/

Edited by DaveC on 02/04/2013 09:25:33 MST.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: 2013 Bob Open on 01/28/2013 10:22:12 MST Print View

Bumping this as a requested discussion/planning thread.

As noted above the organized start will be Saturday May 25th at 0800 (mountain time) at the Benchmark TH. Mandatory safety meeting in the parking lot at 0740.

This is not a race. If you think you're ready, but would rather sleep a lot and take a ~week to make the journey, do it. Depth of experience is prioritized above all else.

Most likely I'll be offering limited spaces in my truck for those who wish to leave cars at the finish and have a ride to the start Friday evening. We'll camp at the Benchmark campground Friday night.

Any questions, ruminations, recriminations, etc; post here.

I should also note that, based on a conversation with a fellow-traveler this weekend, I'll be taking the Bob Open into broader areas (Frank/Selway, GYE) in years to come. The date will remain late-May, contrary to many comments I've received to the effect of "That'd be fun/I'd do it if it happened in July." In fact, it would be a trail run in July, and that is boring. So if you want to experience this course, get off the couch now.

Edited by DaveC on 01/28/2013 10:31:25 MST.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open on 01/28/2013 10:37:21 MST Print View

...it would be a trail run in July, and that is boring.

Hear hear. I like the idea of seeing this event hopscotch around the country to other locations.

John St. Laurent
(johnstl) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
Shuttle Dibs on 01/28/2013 16:53:31 MST Print View

Such was the luxury of Dave's vehicle last year that I'll put my carpool reservation in now :)

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: shuttle dibs on 01/28/2013 17:47:12 MST Print View

I have not, nor will I, fix the latch on the tailgate. ;)

I did scout out a good place in August to get burgers Friday night.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open on 01/28/2013 17:53:59 MST Print View

I am envisioning a half dozen half-drunk-with-tiredness hikers lolling about in the back of a mid-nineties Tacoma.

Cyrus Dietz
(CyCalvin)

Locale: Midwest
Re: re: shuttle dibs on 01/28/2013 19:39:10 MST Print View

Are we going to the Buckhorn Friday night? Count me in for a shuttle ride.

tyler marlow
(like.sisyphus) - F

Locale: UTAH
Resource recommendations? on 01/28/2013 22:02:51 MST Print View

What are your recommendations for maps and planning resources?

I tried really hard to make it last year but couldnt swing it. So I promised myself I'd make it this year.

I may be out on the PCT, but we'll see!

This year's course seems great for my skillset too!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
BMWO Resources on 01/29/2013 06:01:51 MST Print View

Sounds great. I really like the thought of camping at Benchmark the night before and getting in a little chatting. Last year I was so tired from that 14 hr drive...

Tyler, you can get a lot accomplished with:
- Google Earth
- CairnCarto Maps (North and South Bob)
- Gmap4 - http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

With Gmap4, switch to the USGS topo's in the pull down menu.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: Bob planning on 01/29/2013 06:57:12 MST Print View

That's what I had in mind Cyrus. I take it you became acquainted last year?

Tyler, I'd start by getting the Cairn maps. They're quite recent, were built with GPS data, and most significantly don't include trails which no longer exist on the ground. Once you think you have a doable route, use Google Earth, sat photos, Snotel, and USGS streamflow data to fill in the blanks (i.e. how snowy will this pass be, how high will that crossing be) as best you can. Aside from last years reports you're going to find almost no first-hand accounts of being out in the Bob that time of year, so some of the crucial stuff will come down to educated guesses (I'm in the same boat, though my guesses are probably more educated than most). Do your best and be mentally prepared to improvise on the ground.

Edited by DaveC on 01/29/2013 06:58:08 MST.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Bob 2013 on 01/29/2013 19:49:56 MST Print View

I am very interested in this... I've been looking for a new challenge to sink my teeth in to. However, never having been to MT before, I'm hesitant to do this solo. Anyone looking for a partner? I'm not planning on racing- my thoughts were somewhere around 4-5 days.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Bob 2013 on 01/30/2013 20:39:13 MST Print View

If I can make it, I will definitely not be racing.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Re: Re: Bob 2013 on 02/02/2013 18:34:46 MST Print View

I've been chatting with Andrew about this and I'm in. Will likely have a few questions forthcoming.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Re: shuttle on 02/02/2013 21:35:46 MST Print View

Dave, if you have room for Chris and I in your truck, that would be awesome. Otherwise we will probably rent 2 cars at the airport and might be able to carpool with others.

Time to buy some plane tickets...

Andrew

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: shuttles on 02/04/2013 09:30:37 MST Print View

For those who haven't had the pleasure: my truck is an Xterra with no back seats and a hatch which has to be held shut with a bungee. Not particularly luxurious or comfortable. 5 total in the car is the max with gear.

In early April I'll take a survey of for-sure participants and if numbers dictate suggest that we split the costs of renting a minivan which will get us all to the start. I'd take payment as a reservation at that time.

Out of towners are more reliable, both in this respect and as participants generally. Local participation will largely depend on the weather.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open on 02/26/2013 08:18:32 MST Print View

Dave, is the truck you've been speaking of the one that took a recent turn for the worse? If so, sounds like s/he had a good run!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

2013 Bob Open on 02/26/2013 10:16:47 MST Print View

Yep, the Xterra is no more (guy pulled in front on me on the way to work last week). We got our money out of it for sure.

Whatever replaces it will be a lot smaller, so that will have to be taken into account.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open on 02/26/2013 10:20:36 MST Print View

I highly recommend something of the EJ22 or 22RE variety as they've served me well in my day. Currently very happy with my 3F-E but that's definitely in a small vehicle. Never thought I'd get into a car discussion on BPL... weird.

EDIT: My apologies for the thread drift. Now back to our regularly scheduled BMWO discussion.

Edited by sharalds on 02/26/2013 10:21:17 MST.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: Bob Open cars on 02/26/2013 11:27:41 MST Print View

Smaller as in a Versa or Yaris.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open on 02/26/2013 12:32:14 MST Print View

Event participants better get their names in the hat soon 'cause Dave's future car isn't going to have room for many!