November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Backcountry Boiler - Long Term Review?
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Doe
(jessearl) - F
Backcountry Boiler - Long Term Review? on 08/21/2012 07:57:20 MDT Print View

Hi folks, I just placed an order with Devin for one of the new Backcountry Boilers.

Can anybody now give a more long-term review of their boilers who got in on the initial buy?

I've read some reviews using Google but they were all pretty much initial assessment; "Ohhh, shiny, pretty."

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
2nd Generation Review on 08/21/2012 08:45:54 MDT Print View

I have one of the BCB II models that I received back in April/May. My main thoughts are

1] Have used more with Alcohol than wood burning mode. Don't like the amount of soot when burning wood. Not a BCB issue but more of an esthetic choice on my part.

2] The base is very narrow and so isn't as stable as I would like (top heavy).

3] Efficient boiler, 6 min for 16oz boil using alcohol.

Brian UL

Locale: New England
Re: Backcountry Boiler - Long Term Review? on 08/21/2012 08:55:22 MDT Print View

Well, It works. I love how all the soot is inside the chimney so there is little to no fuss with soot. Unlike other wood stoves (and this is a big compliant of mine with alcohol stoves excluding the CALDERA) the fire is protected from wind and the heat is captured and directed twords boiling water. I have the alcohol felt but haven't used it yet. It is a good addition since sometimes when its real wet you may feel lazy and just want to use alcohol, or maybe your inside a shelter or something and burning wood indoors is rude and dangerous. You don't need a pot just a container of some kind. Works perfectly with boil in the bag cooking. My favorite stove.

Duane Hall
(PKH) - M

Locale: Nova Scotia
Backcountry Boiler on 08/21/2012 10:49:24 MDT Print View

As Brian says: it works. The only thing I would add is that you can save a bit of weight by leaving the base behind and supporting the kettle on rocks. The basic chimney concept is elegant and efficient. It just plain works :)

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Backcountry Boiler - Boiling More Than One "Batch"? on 08/21/2012 11:04:06 MDT Print View

I've been eyeing the BCB for a while and being able to boil 16 ounces works well for most of the meals I would carry on the trail, but what if you need more boiling water?

My BCB question is then this: If you've poured the boiling water out of your BCB can you refill it immediately or do you need to wait until it cools down and then go through the firestarting/burning process again?

Maybe it's as simple as putting 18 ounces in, bringing it to a boil, pouring out 16 of the 18 ounces into my meal, and then putting another 14 ounces in to bring the quantity back up to 16 ounces? Thoughts?

Duane Hall
(PKH) - M

Locale: Nova Scotia
Backcountry Boiler on 08/21/2012 14:45:39 MDT Print View

As soon as I pour off the boiling water, I refill the boiler and put it back on the fire. One of the joys of these things is the surplus of hot water.