Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Help me plan a loop in Evolution area
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Help me plan a loop in Evolution area on 09/05/2012 09:54:55 MDT Print View

Christopher I think you are over analyzing this trip. There are plenty of places to camp at both trailheads. Just go with the flow in terms of shuttle and camping. Heck, you can even get a cheap hotel in Bishop if need be. Just have fun!

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Camping at South Lake on 09/05/2012 10:19:41 MDT Print View

Yep I'm kinda famous for over analyzing my trip planning. Sorry for all the questions. :)

I did hear from someone recently who believed that there's no camping at South lake or the first several miles of the trail. But there is a campsite 5 miles before South lake at a place called Willow camp. Is that incorrect?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Camping at South Lake on 09/05/2012 10:37:47 MDT Print View

Yes. Or you can hike a few miles from South Lake at the first lake and stay there. Only a few miles. That's what we did on our first night

Edited by kennyhel77 on 09/05/2012 10:38:29 MDT.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Camping at South Lake on 09/05/2012 11:20:22 MDT Print View

Christopher,
There are a few campgrounds on the way to South Lake, I just hate paying, but the higher you can camp the night before, the better to acclimate. One trip I did camp down in the valley before the road climbed out of the low valley. I stayed the night along the creek where some dirt roads take off from the highway going to South and North Lakes, way below Aspen. My last trip, I could not see any place to stealth camp close to the TH, you'd have to hike in a ways then could suffer consequences of illegal camping/too early entry. Check out the CG's on the drive up for empty sites if you don't mind paying to stay in a CG. There is a small lodge on the way to South Lake, you have to cross by foot, a bridge to get to it. There used to be info over on Highsierratopix regarding it. On a side note, it is good to go armed with as much info as possible, but things do work out when only armed with limited info, go with the flow. On my vacation a month ago, I walked into Mammoth Visitor Center early afternoon and got my permit for the next days entry.
Duane

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Camping at South Lake on 09/05/2012 12:39:01 MDT Print View

Thanks guys!
I think I may actually stay my first night at North lake since it looks like there's a campground there. Then get a ride over to South lake early in the morning to start my trip.

Totally appreciate all the info.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Camping at South Lake on 09/05/2012 14:04:19 MDT Print View

Catch a ride? Um, I had trouble at the end of my first trip in the area, I was below Piute Pass at one of the lakes there, made the TH too early, walked/jogged most of the way to the turnoff to the road up to South Lake before I caught two hitchhikes. Walk-in cg at N Lake.
Duane