Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne, Sept 13-17

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joseph Brody
(Killroy) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne, Sept 13-17 on 08/20/2012 10:49:12 MDT Print View

I just joined to see if I can make some more backpacking buddies.

I'm planing a 5 day, 60 mile loop that starts at Tuolumne meadows, goes down the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne and back through 10 lakes. My current buddies can't go, so I'll do it alone or with a 1-2 people if I can make any friends here.

This trip should have some 15 mile days and a lot of climbing on rocky terrain. Its really a preparation trip for the John Muir Trail. I'm planing on the JMT for the first time July 2013 where I want to fast-pack it in 10 days. I'm also looking for partners for that trip.

Bradley Attaway
(AttaboyBrad) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
More info? on 08/20/2012 12:02:58 MDT Print View

Sounds cool. JMT in that style's on my bucket list as well. Where/when will you be leaving from? I'm SF based. Do you have permits yet?

Joseph Brody
(Killroy) - F

Permits on 08/20/2012 20:42:39 MDT Print View

I'm from Campbell, Ca (basically San Jose).

No, I don't have permits yet. I don't really worry about permits much, I have never had a problem getting one the day and I would just switch to a different trail head if I had a problem with getting Tuolumne Meadows.

They want you to use the FAX machine and pay money to reserve permits early. Get online people!

Bradley Attaway
(AttaboyBrad) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Really wish I could make it on 08/21/2012 10:38:28 MDT Print View

but I don't think I can swing 3 days off of work then. Best of luck. Hope you'll post a trip report.

Joseph Brody
(Killroy) - F

Time off work. on 08/21/2012 12:55:25 MDT Print View

Yeah. I'm going to be burning all my vacation for this trip an other traveling.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
I"m down... on 08/27/2012 22:55:49 MDT Print View

I'm down. You can read more about me in my profile... I think I would only be able to do about 1/2 of it though. Probably when you get near White Wolf I will have to bail.. but if we take two cars it would work out well.

My only requirement is that we take breaks to let me fix every once in a while. I'll catch us dinner.

The Toulumne river at that section has nice trout...

Trent Kiziah
(Trent03)
Interested on 08/28/2012 10:37:30 MDT Print View

Sounds great. Provide me more detail. Sounds like we would hike from the Glen Aulin Trailhead to White Wolf (28.7 miles) and then return by Ten Lakes.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Re: Interested on 08/28/2012 13:36:16 MDT Print View

Yup. Anywhere in Toulumne would work really. It's amazing there. There is a trailhead I haven't done yet which might be nice.

I was actually there about a month ago.

Plenty of water. It was HOT during the day though. Around 100. I expect it will be around the same temp.. maybe 95. We should probably try to get up EARLY those days and brake for a while around 1pm.

I will have to leave you around white wolf though.

When did you want to head up on the 13th? That's a thursday. I'd prefer to leave at about 2pm ... this way we can get to the trail head by about 6pm ad get in about 2 hours of hiking.

I'm leaving from SF... it would be best to take two cars so I can head back that Sunday night from White Wolf.

Last time I was there I saw a rattlesnake and a black bear cub.

There are a lot of bears over in that area so we might see some again.

Trent Kiziah
(Trent03)
Revised Trailhead on 08/28/2012 21:31:20 MDT Print View

Kevin and I are planning to begin at Tenaya Lake, just west of Tuolumne Meadows, and head north up the trail known as Murphy Creek to Glen Aulin. From Glen Aulin, we will travel west along the Tuolomne River. We are driving separately and will be leaving one car at White Wolf. Kevin will end at White Wolf on Sunday sometime.

Depending on how I feel. I may hike back to Tenaya Lake via Ten Lakes, I may be up for it, spending Sunday night on the trail and ending Monday evening at Tenaya Lake.

We are planning to meet at the Tenaya Lake trailhead late Thursday afternoon, September 13th, around 6'ish. Hike for about 2 hours and set up camp.

I plan to fax a permit in tomorrow. Anyone else interested? Joseph are you still up for the trip?