Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Crazy Mountains DIAD patrol
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Crazy Mountains DIAD patrol on 08/19/2012 20:17:39 MDT Print View

Got together with a coworker Saturday for a long patrol in the Crazy Mountains. I mapped out a 22 mile loop that hit several of the more popular fishing lakes; but we had one hitch- we needed to find a route to traverse two miles off trail to hook up w/ the another trail to complete the loop. Adding to the hitch is that I've tried a couple times and have been turned back each time staring down at a rock cliff. I figured a new set of eyes might finally unlock a route through.

We got a nice early start and started for Cottonwood Lake. The first couple of miles are very gentle and serve as a great warmup for things to come. Soon enough the trail takes a steep turn and the work begins, on the bright side the views get better with the elevation.

Photobucket

We made it to Cottonwood Lake in good time and had just under 6 miles under our belts. We checked a few anglers at the lake (a couple just waking up :))

Photobucket

We started up the steep rock slope heading for the upper ridge line, leaving Cottonwood Lake behind.

Photobucket

When we got close to the ridge we were forced into some rock climbing, not exactly what we were hoping for. Worse, when we looked over the edge it was a sheer drop off. We traversed the ridge both directions and finally spied a complicated, but seemingly doable route down.

On the divide between Cottonwood Ck and the South Fork of Sweetgrass Ck

Photobucket

Part way down our route looking at Glacier Lake below, we encountered a group of Mountain Goat nannies and kids-usually your looking up at them, not this time :)

Photobucket

Two miles (and two hours!!!) later we finally joined up with the trail, looking down the SF of Sweetgrass Ck

Photobucket

We made it to Moose Lake and took a long deserved lunch, we're about 14 miles in now

Moose Lake

Photobucket

the climb out of Moose Lake is pretty tough, ~ 900' in a mile

looking down at Moose Lake

Photobucket

our next stop was Campfire Lake, where we checked almost a dozen anglers

Photobucket

we checked one guy who had caught a hog Cutthroat

Photobucket

we had one more tough climb out of Campfire to the divide w/ Trespass Ck, looking down on Campfire Lake

Photobucket

13 hours later we finally made back to the truck, not too worse for the wear :)

Photobucket

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
DIAD Patrol on 08/19/2012 21:02:03 MDT Print View

Not a bad way to earn a living Mike. Not bad at all.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Crazy Mountains DIAD patrol on 08/19/2012 21:11:20 MDT Print View

"Not a bad way to earn a living Mike. Not bad at all."
Especially like the uniform.
Nice pictures and thank-you for reminding me how much I REALLY miss living in that corner of the planet.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re DIAD patrol on 08/19/2012 21:21:22 MDT Print View

I envy your work environment! Thanks for putting up the pictures.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Crazy Mountains DIAD patrol on 08/20/2012 09:33:22 MDT Print View

Great work Day Mike :-)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Crazy Mountains DIAD patrol on 08/20/2012 12:39:29 MDT Print View

thanks gents! I do have a great job, although I don't see a Porsche in my future (well maybe an old one :) ), but it's definitely been fulfilling and more often than not, a fun job.

Mike

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
Sweet Gig on 08/26/2012 01:17:44 MDT Print View

Agreed, looks like a pretty sweet gig. Man do I appreciate law enforcement, in many forms. I sure would have liked to see some folks with badges the last time I was up at a beautiful- but a little too accessible- set of lakes last week.