Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof and silnylon?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Nordby
(JimBob) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof and silnylon? on 08/19/2012 14:05:40 MDT Print View

This is supposed to help make fabrics more water repellent and reduce UV damage.
I've sent a request to Nikwax asking if this stuff works for silnylon (not just
PU-coated nylon), but wanted to hear if anyone else has used this (successfully)
on silnylon? The bottle mentioned using 10oz of the stuff for a 2-man tent,
but it I used much less than that on 2 2-man tents (double rainbow and
lunar duo).

Jim Nordby
(JimBob) - MLife

Tectron Water Repellent on 08/19/2012 14:08:13 MDT Print View

I also wanted to mention this and ask if others have successfully used
this on silnylon...

Stephen Everson
(mrevets) - F
Re: Tectron Water Repellent on 08/19/2012 17:03:44 MDT Print View

I used this product on the surplus philmont tents I purchased this year.

http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/Resources/PhilmontSurplus/SurplusGear.aspx

They are not sil-nylon so I can't answer that question for you. But with regards to how much product will go, it took a whole bottle to cover the blue tent in the photo if you click on the photo link.

The product feels like a type of car wax you spray. When you want to do a touch up of your highly polished car, not the wax you put on as a base wax coat.

Probably is the exact same thing from Turtle Wax, just repackaged and sold at a higher price than what you can get at your auto parts store.

Just my humble opinion of the product. Have not had a chance to see how well it "re-proofed" the rain fly but it was easy to apply to the tent.

Just giving you my experience with the product.

Erik Basil
(EBasil)

Locale: Atzlan
Used it on silnylon on 08/20/2012 08:20:17 MDT Print View

I just used the solar proof on two Copper Spur UL's before our Sierra trek this year, mostly to protect the $$ flys from sun. It went on thin and I was able to fully cover and coat a UL2 and a UL4 with one spray bottle (dead empty at conclusion). I thought that the "extra" effect with surface beading would be great, too.

In 14 hours of rain, both flys wetted through by morning, and the UL2 wetted through in a 7 hour stretch the next day (dry start) but neither spontaneously combusted from UV rays. Ho ho. My conclusion is...inconclusive.

I will be talking with the BA folks about what I can do to harden the flys for that kind of rain, however.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof and silnylon? on 08/20/2012 15:45:45 MDT Print View

Silicone is UV resistant.
Use the Atsko stuff, either the spray or the liquid version.

http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/silicone-water-guard.html
Franco

Jim Nordby
(JimBob) - MLife

Re: Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof and silnylon? on 08/23/2012 15:23:56 MDT Print View

I had sent an e-mail to Nikwax asking them about their product and silnylon;
here's the reply FYI:

Tent & Gear Solarproof is designed to be used on all tent fabrics, as well as a very large number of other fabrics.

I would recommend washing the tent in Tech Wash first though. Just dilute it 2:1 in water and wash like a car while it’s set up.

This will remove any residues or dirt that is in the fibers, and leave you with a primed surface to waterproof.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.