Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Next Best Thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Next Best Thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper? on 08/17/2012 15:51:58 MDT Print View

I'm looking if anyone has any suggestions for the next best thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper? Anyone know of any retail products that come in a similar bottle? I was also thinking of the 500ml bottle that came with my Sawyer Squeeze, but alas it is not clear and according to most, not very reliable (prone to leaks).

TIA!

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Next Best Thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper? on 08/17/2012 16:01:41 MDT Print View

rum runner flask
disposable flask

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Next Best Thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper? on 08/17/2012 16:22:10 MDT Print View

Anna-

You rock!

-KJ

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Next Best Thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper? on 08/17/2012 16:23:41 MDT Print View

glad I can help

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Next Best Thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper? on 08/17/2012 16:24:17 MDT Print View

I have some of these. Nature's Child (brand) Berry Squeezers, 100% fruit. This is a platypus-like squeeze container full of apples or berries, and it is only 3.17 fluid ounces. You buy it at the grocery store, then squeeze and eat the contents. You rinse out the container and now you have a 3.17 fluid ounce platypus-like thing just right for filling with an adult beverage. Yes, that is on the small side.

--B.G.--

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Next Best Thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper? on 08/17/2012 16:25:30 MDT Print View

He says he wants something clear,are those clear?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Next Best Thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper? on 08/17/2012 16:37:05 MDT Print View

No, they are not clear. For such a small volume, I don't think that it would make much difference. For all of my quart size and larger Platypus containers, I like clear.

--B.G.--

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Lil Nipper Replacement on 08/18/2012 06:40:00 MDT Print View

Packit Gourmet also offers their Foldable Flask as another option for $9.95.

It's not clear, holds 500 ml, and weighs less than an ounce.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Lil Nipper Replacement on 08/18/2012 09:38:51 MDT Print View

Edited by annapurna on 08/18/2012 09:39:26 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Next Best Thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper?. . on 08/18/2012 10:12:13 MDT Print View

I use a discarded plastic pint vodka bottle. I figure if Ihave enough room for it in my pack, then I don't care that it does not roll up. Plus it is easier to pour and drink out of something that is rigid. Cost was zero. I tried a, lilnipper once and the bond between neck and bottle failed way too early in it's life.

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Rum runner flasks delaminate as fuel bottles on 08/18/2012 10:30:42 MDT Print View

Not sure what you want a little nipper for, but a word of warning about using rum runner flasks as fuel bottles. I've been using a 16oz rum runner flask for this purpose. Apparently they're made out of multiple layers of plastic, and the denatured alcohol is causing the layers to delaminate. I discovered this after leaving the fuel in the bottle between trips--it took a month of being in the bottle to notice this. I've since been pouring the fuel back out between trips, and that's slowed the rate of deterioration considerably. Since these bottles are marketed for alcoholic drinks, I assume that it's something about the denatured fuel (klean-strip green) that's causing the problem.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Rum runner flasks delaminate as fuel bottles on 08/18/2012 10:44:38 MDT Print View

Ya,you can't leave denatured alcohol in these flasks indefinitely,even the lil nipper had this problem,you have to store it in the original(or another) container.I use everclear now instead,but I still don't store it in the flask and I have had no problems.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: rum runners flasks on 08/18/2012 10:44:59 MDT Print View

I've also had one delaminate after leaving everclear in it between trips. Now I too pour out the contents and rinse well before storing.

Steve C
(smit)

Locale: sierra nevada
re: Next Best Thing to a Platypus Lil Nipper on 08/18/2012 10:53:10 MDT Print View

Lawson equipment has 8 oz flasks for $2.95. They are clear but won't roll up like an empty platy. I use a regular 1L platy to carry a bottle of wine if I desire to have such a thing on a trip, easy to squeeze out the excess air and it is useful for extra water storage after the wine is gone. Don't know the weight difference compared to .5L, but doubt it is all that much and I find the larger size to be more useful after its initial contents is gone.
Steve

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Rum runner flasks delaminate as fuel bottles on 08/18/2012 11:07:53 MDT Print View

I'm pretty sure it is the "adulterants" they add to the denatured alcohol like methyl isobutyl ketone and perhaps the concentration of methanol, which we have all learned varies up to 45% of the mix. I'll guess that the "green" denatured alcohol mixes are less destructive. Emptying the container when at home makes perfect sense to me. I would do the same with PET bottles and the like as well.

Note that Platypus does sell a wine container. I don't know if it is a different type of plastic (it is colored), but it looks like it will handle a 13% concentration of ethyl alcohol which is what most unfortified wines have. http://www.platypreserve.com/

The other day I saw a belt buckle that had a removable stainless steel flask, obviously made for some heavy-duty party animals. Maybe we could included that as "worn" weight? :)

Edited by dwambaugh on 08/18/2012 11:10:21 MDT.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Rum runner flasks delaminate as fuel bottles on 08/18/2012 12:02:14 MDT Print View

The rum runner flask and disposable flask are also made to hold hard alcohol and from what I have heard has the same effect on the the paltypus wine containers if stored in them.