Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Group trip: Dolly Sods Wilderness, WV
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
Re: Re: Group trip: Dolly Sods Wilderness, WV on 09/12/2012 22:47:38 MDT Print View

Hey guys,

I can most likely do just about any weekend Fri-Sun. I'm not too concerned about temps as much as I was when I originally posted. I've been piecing together some cold weather gear and should have all I need by November. As for routes, earlier this summer I did the circumnavigation listed on MidAtlanticHikes.com. The one starting and ending at Bear Rocks. It was an awesome trip over 3 days and 2 nights. My mileage was no more than 10 per day, not including short side trips. Should be fun in November.

The only thing that I'm concerned with is the prospective 15 miles a day. But, being a few months away, I should have no trouble being in shape. I've been slacking on my gym time lately.

I'm just around 2.5 to 3 hrs from the Sods, so starting time won't affect me too badly.

Feel free to PM me about any changing details.

Sean

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Re: Re: Re: Group trip: Dolly Sods Wilderness, WV on 10/03/2012 13:49:43 MDT Print View

Just wanted to update that the first weekend in November 2,3,4 is no good for me. If that ends up being the trip weekend, no big deal. I can always try to make another one.

Thanks,

Sean

John Dillon
(jdillon3) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Getting in on the Action on 10/12/2012 13:59:52 MDT Print View

Hey,
I'm about 3 hours east of the Sods and it has easily become my go-to backpacking destination for a quick weekend. If there is still room for another in the group I would be happy to come along. 15-20 days work well for me.
In regards to the wild weather in the Sods, last Halloween I went out and got blanketed with snow-- between a foot and 18 inches in some places. So be advised.Day OneDay Two

Hope I'm not too Late.

John

Logan Bowling
(bowlingl25) - F

Locale: Almost Heaven
would love to go on 10/15/2012 08:07:26 MDT Print View

I see this trip has become pretty popular, and if there is room for one more Id love to come along.

As the previous poster mentioned snow is a definite possibility. It snowed in the area last weekend, but this weekend was beautiful in the mid 70s. WV weather in October/early November is very unpredictable.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
can't make it on 10/23/2012 07:41:16 MDT Print View

Unfortunately, some things have come up, and I won't be able to make this trip.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: can't make it on 10/23/2012 08:33:55 MDT Print View

Nor can I.

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Re: Re: can't make it on 10/29/2012 23:32:41 MDT Print View

Let's try and get this trip together another time.

Ben Wiles
(benjita) - MLife

Locale: Annandale, VA
winter tent recommendations on 12/09/2012 22:41:08 MST Print View

To the folks that were planning this trip or those in the know. Do you have any recommendations for a shelter to take to the Sods during the winter? My plan is to access via XC skis through White Grass and camp for 2-3 days. Most areas are below tree line but I'd like to be able to handle the high plateaus around bear rocks.

Two people 5'10" and under accostomed to close quarters.

So far I've been eying the Black Diamond First Light and MSR Fury. The latter being somewhat more livable but at twice the weight.

Are there any other tents I should be looking at. Are tents like the MH EV2 or SD Convert 2 overkill?

Edited by benjita on 12/09/2012 22:45:38 MST.

Evan McCarthy
(evanrussia) - MLife

Locale: Northern Europe
Re: winter tent recommendations on 12/10/2012 01:40:41 MST Print View

I've used my MLD Duomid in Dolly Sods in the winter on a few occasions and never felt I needed anything more. I don't think you need a bad @ss winter tent, just one that could take a few inches to a foot of snow overnight in a semi-worst-case scenario. If you're looking at weather reports that threaten to dump more than that, I wouldn't go that weekend.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Re: winter tent recommendations on 12/10/2012 10:40:51 MST Print View

Ben,

I'll probably do the same trip on skis this winter.

I would've taken either a BA Copper Spur UL1 or an 8x10 flat tarp on this trip, even with more than a foot of snow in the forecast. A spruce grove isn't very far away on the high plateau. I'll take one of those shelters when I do a ski trip this winter too.

Ben Wiles
(benjita) - MLife

Re: winter tent recommendations on 12/10/2012 18:32:01 MST Print View

Andy,
Thanks for the info. Are tracks generally already established or do you find yourself breaking trail?

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Re: Re: winter tent recommendations on 12/11/2012 06:32:37 MST Print View

Ben,

I don't know. This will be my first ski trip there too.

Edit:
Another option I'm leaning towards is taking the lift at Timberline up so that I can save my energy for the wilderness area.

Edited by AndyF on 12/11/2012 06:36:30 MST.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
Love the Sods in winter on 12/13/2012 10:10:45 MST Print View

Just found this thread. FYI if there is a lot of snow can park vehicles at Timbeline (let management know you will be leaving them and they will tell you where) and can buy a one-way one-time lift ticket to the top (if you want to miss the climb) bringing your snowshoes, X-country skis, Pulk, etc up with you. In winter, I like to find a hemlock grove and usually just string up a tarp or a shaped tarp shelter. Open terrain is often too exposed to wind and wind-driven drifting snow for comfortable camp life in the Sods.

Look for rime ice on vegetation; absolutely spectacular when it forms overnight and then the sun comes out.

Ben Wiles
(benjita) - MLife

condtions/equipment on 12/14/2012 22:13:01 MST Print View

Robert,
Thanks for the info on Timberline. Can you speak to how much XC ski use the main trails get? Also, not sure if you ski yourself but any suggestions on type of XC ski width that would be appropriate?

Good to know about the tarp. I wouldn't want to be caught on in an exposed area myself but would like to be prepared just in case- at least in winter time.

Lastly the average low for the Sods, if I recall correctly, is about 20F in the winter. I typically take an addtional 10F off of that when planning for my insulation. Does this sound about right to you?

PS: Robert do you have a winter gear list of your Dolly Sods trips you could share?

Edited by benjita on 12/16/2012 21:16:34 MST.