November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Climbing Shasta / near Shasta with dog
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Climbing Shasta / near Shasta with dog on 08/16/2012 20:47:43 MDT Print View

Two separate inquiries for the price of one:

my boyfriend is planning on climbing Mt. Shasta with a work friend. He's not an experienced climber but his friend is, and has experience as a guide. They're probably set, but as a worrywart, I'll happily take any thoughts on gear, weather (the trip is soon!), miscellaneous advice.

second question: I've been wanting to explore the area and was thinking this would be a good excuse to go camping nearby. I'll have our dog, so I know we can't go into Shasta Wilderness itself, but I imagine there's a lot in the Shasta-Trinity Nat'l forest that would be easily accessible. Any recommendations for a moderately easy* overnight up that way?

Sorry to be pretty vague, but this came up suddenly. Thanks for any thoughts!

*we typically do a weekly day-hike in the East Bay parks, up to 12 miles, if that gives a picture of our fitness level.