Camp sandals that work with socks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Hall
(lundquistas) - F
Camp sandals that work with socks on 08/15/2012 23:05:41 MDT Print View

Hello, I hike in FiveFingers and am looking for a sandals that I could wear around camp when it is a little colder with my wool socks. Basically something like the Chacos that do not have the single toe loop up front but looking for something much lighter.

Thanks!

Steven Hall
(lundquistas) - F
ZEMGear 360 on 08/15/2012 23:13:56 MDT Print View

Anyone have any experience with these shoes? Look promising...

Thanks!

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Camp sandals that work with socks on 08/16/2012 00:08:16 MDT Print View

You could wear slides. $6 at Walmart. I can weigh them if interested.

andrew brown
(abrown3mtg) - F

Locale: High Rockies
crocs on 08/16/2012 03:49:29 MDT Print View

Dry quick, light, and comfy. I recently bought a pair on the new balance barefoot style trail running shoes though. Fit well, dry quickly, and lighter than sandals. Might consider something like that sized up a bit.

Latham Farley
(LathamFarley) - F

Locale: Midwest
Camp Sandals that work with socks on 08/16/2012 06:30:29 MDT Print View

I have wondered this same question, Austin. I took my chaco Z1's (without toe strap) for years and used them for water crossing and camp shoes. I finally decided they were to heavy. I asked around and someone told me to try the 5 fingers but like you said, I want something with socks and not the ones you have to have the toe socks for. I was advised to try crocks and water shoes. I went to Walmart and got some $5 water shoes that did GREAT in Colorado as a camp and water crossing shoe but they were still heavier than i wanted. I must say they did have good grip and dried extremely fast.

Someone else told me to try Crocks. They said they were decent in the water, comfortable and you could wear them on the way home after backpacking. Anyone with experience with Crocks?

Andrew had a good idea with the barefoot style trail running shoe. I might try that as well.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Camp sandals that work with socks on 08/16/2012 08:02:33 MDT Print View

VivoBarefoot Ultra Pure. Fantastic, lightweight, great grip in water, exceptionally comfortable. I even used them for a bit of rock scrambling on my recent Sierra trip. Best camp shoe out there, in my opinion.

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Re: Re: Camp sandals that work with socks on 08/16/2012 10:34:30 MDT Print View

The Ultra Pures look nice! I currently use a pair of Patagonia Advocates that have served me well and are quite light. They're better suited for cooler weather (as they lock in a lot of heat), but work great all around.

Patagonia Advocate

Are the Ultra Pures 3.7oz total or is that per shoe? Seem like a nice light shoe that you wouldn't have to worry about having to let dry.

Edited by f8less on 08/16/2012 10:48:26 MDT.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Croc knock-offs on 08/16/2012 11:23:56 MDT Print View

I hike in trail runners and don't change for stream crossings, so my camp shoes are exactly that, just for camp. I don't want to have to tie or buckle shoes in camp; just slip on, barefoot or with socks. Crocs are perfect for me and they're always dry, which is a must since my trail runners can be wet. The croc knock-offs are lighter than the real thing. (7oz for the pair for woman's size 8)

Steven Hall
(lundquistas) - F
Thanks on 08/16/2012 17:15:21 MDT Print View

Thanks guys, I hike everything in my fivefingers so just looking for something around camp when I want to put on my warm socks, fingers are fine when it's warm out. Those Patagonia ones look nice.

Croc users...aren't they kind bulky to bring along in the bag? Thanks!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Camp sandals that work with socks on 08/16/2012 17:30:29 MDT Print View

"Are the Ultra Pures 3.7oz total or is that per shoe?"

3.7 oz per shoe, but easy to lighten to around 3 oz per shoe.

Craig .
(zipper) - F

Locale: LOST, but making good time
Camp sandals that work with socks on 08/16/2012 19:28:18 MDT Print View

Not good for stream crossings but...camp shoe

2.2 oz. pair.

Sorry wrong image. Can't seem to post correct image. I'll keep trying.

Edited by zipper on 08/16/2012 19:37:22 MDT.

Craig .
(zipper) - F

Right image on 08/16/2012 19:39:56 MDT Print View

camp shoe

Craig .
(zipper) - F

One more time on 08/16/2012 19:47:02 MDT Print View

cs

bout time. Again 2.2 oz. for the pair. They aren't pretty but they work. Most of the weight is duct tape!

Edited by zipper on 08/16/2012 19:49:35 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Croc knock-offs on 08/16/2012 20:09:30 MDT Print View

Any good stores to look for the Crock knock offs? my gf has a pair from a few years ago but i'd like a pair now. walmart?

Austin, you just clip them to the outside.

Edited by JakeDatc on 08/16/2012 20:10:22 MDT.

Steven Hall
(lundquistas) - F
Shoes on 08/16/2012 20:39:19 MDT Print View

Haha, Craig, what are those funny shoes made out of?

So you saying you basically shave away te material on the crocs so they are slimmer?

Heath Pitts
(heathpitts)

Locale: Nashville
Re: Re: Re: Camp sandals that work with socks on 08/16/2012 20:40:22 MDT Print View

Ken,

What is the size of your Patagonia advocates and their total weight?

Charles P
(mediauras)

Locale: Terra
cut up ridgerest? on 08/16/2012 20:54:36 MDT Print View

Awesome idea!

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Camp sandals that work with socks on 08/17/2012 07:28:22 MDT Print View

"What is the size of your Patagonia advocates and their total weight?"

Size US 10

9.7oz - With Insoles
8.6oz - Without Insoles

Zane Darner
(ZED) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Soccer Slides on 08/17/2012 08:59:06 MDT Print View

I've used Crocs for years but am trying a pair of Under Armour soccer slides that are quite a bit lighter. They work in bare feet or with socks; I sized up for comfort. They crush flatter than crocs--easier for side pockets.

I am away from camera and scale so don't have weight or pics for you yet. They have worked perfectly this season. Cabella's, Sportsman's Warehouse, The Soccer Shop, etc.

For ultra-light I am going to try a pair of hospital booties. They won't hold up to heavy use but will work to keep dirt and sap off easily. (Even doubled up they weigh less than one sock.) And they may work for fire starter... Will break out the BBQ bucket to test this weekend.

Any brand of slide would work. This is UA's URL for pics.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/footwear/slides

(Disclaimer: I am not now, have never been, nor ever expect to be associated with any company that would benefit from this insightful, informative, and yes... even sensitive endorsement.)

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Camp sandals that work with socks on 08/17/2012 10:06:53 MDT Print View

"3.7 oz per shoe, but easy to lighten to around 3 oz per shoe."

What shoe size weights in at 3.7oz? I take it your talking about removing the modular tongue to reduce the weight?