Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Clothes JMT section hike early Sept.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Feldman
(MikeF) - M

Locale: SE USA
Clothes JMT section hike early Sept. on 08/15/2012 17:32:27 MDT Print View

Week after Labour Day weekend doing section hike,Reds Meadow JMT south to Piute Pass trail, then to North Lake. Am interested in feedback about clothes, wanting to be comfortable, safe, and as light as possible. Not putting up complete gear list but the big 3 are Gossamer Gear the One for shelter, Zpacks 20 degree quilt bag w/2 ounces overfill; Prolite XS pad w/torso section of foam pad from Oware, plus 2 sections of GG torso pad;and Zpacks Zero in small w/3 inches length added w/the Zpacks multipack..Base weight minus consumables and water w/BV450 bearcan is right at 9 pounds..

Clothes worn hiking:

MH Canyon LS shirt
Exofficio shorts
Smartwool ankle socks, trail runners and Simblissity Gaiters
Patagonia Houdini
Floppy Hat

Clothes carried:
Pair Smartwool midweight socks
BMW Cocoon pullover jacket
OP 400 Gloves
Goosehood 900 wht. down hat( Bacl'va)
Smartwool lightweight merino wool top
Patagonia Cap. 3 bottoms
lightweight running shorts
$1 Walmart rain poncho

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Clothes JMT section hike early Sept. on 08/15/2012 17:44:56 MDT Print View

You seem to wear shorts for hiking. I hope that your legs don't sunburn.

What would you be wearing on your legs if it was a cold rainy day?

--B.G.--

Charles P
(mediauras)

Locale: Terra
looks good mike on 08/15/2012 17:53:41 MDT Print View

He can just wear his cap 3s if he needs a layer during the day. Looks good Mike, its a good list I think for your trip. Have fun!

Mike Feldman
(MikeF) - M

on shorts on 08/15/2012 18:44:25 MDT Print View

Bob, I would use sunscreen on my legs, though have not ruled out wearing something like MH Canyon, non convertable pants rather than shorts. I generally hike in shorts, if snow like last Oct. on the AT( 4-5 inches) put the Cap 3s under the shorts kept hiking.. If icestorm would probably put up my shelter, not in a big hurry anyway. I am lean on raingear, though may fly out w/some driducks..

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: on shorts on 08/15/2012 22:48:29 MDT Print View

Some 4-5 inch shorts (kind of short, if you don't mind that) are pretty light, like 4 oz, and make perfect swim trunks and underwear under your pants. That's how I usually pack.
I don't suburn easily, however protecting your skin is important to keeping cool, but your legs are much less important that your head and neck. One thing you can do is tie 2 corners of a bandana together, run it over your forehead, and put your hat over that. It provides a lot of protection for your neck and side of the face. It's free flowing and much cooler than a neck gaiter or buff. Could be useful unless you have a really wide brim hat. I use some generic snap back hat with a mesh back. I am outside all day at work and use this method.

Mike Feldman
(MikeF) - M

shorts and sunscreen continued on 08/16/2012 10:16:09 MDT Print View

Justin, I will be doing the bandana and floppy hat thing, sunscreen like you mention. My legs dont burn like my shoulders, arms and face/neck though will keep legs coated w/sunscreen. Also like the bandana for dipping in streams/lakes and getting cooled down.. My extra shorts( run shorts) are yes a luxury, 4 ounces, use as swim suit..Thanks!