Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Another wide-mouth plastic bottle bites the dust...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Simon Wurster
(Einstein) - F

Locale: Big Apple
Another wide-mouth plastic bottle bites the dust... on 08/15/2012 16:07:10 MDT Print View

First, Aquafina, now Snapple. Snapple has changed the 1 liter plastic bottle to a narrow(er) mouth, and taller/narrower shape (some may welcome that).

See the thread here for the original shape/size.

I think that just leaves Gatorade as the sole wide-mouth, resuable/recyclable, after-market backpacking water bottle. (Powerade uses the narrower mouth.)

Some smaller retailers still have the older bottle design, so grab them while you can!

Edited by Einstein on 08/15/2012 16:09:15 MDT.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
smart on 08/15/2012 16:15:50 MDT Print View

I think the 'old' snapple is the same as Vitamin water 1L..

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Wide mouth bottle on 08/15/2012 18:03:54 MDT Print View

When I'm bringing a Steripen, I also bring a bottle that the Dole Harvest Best fruits come in. It's only 24.5 oz but has a really wide mouth which is great for the Steripen. I got that tip from somebody on here. 1.9 oz. When I need to carry more water I pour from that into lighter bottles.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
gatoraid on 08/15/2012 19:47:59 MDT Print View

I just migrated to a $10 wide mouth Nalgene which was lighter than my Gatoraid 1L bottle and stores 3L.

I think MOST of the weight involved the plastic lid.

I wasn't able to shave much weight by going to 1L ...

but now I can carry 4L of water on me should the need arise.

I like to backpack in areas with significant water but often you need to lug a bunch of water to your camp site.

There are a few campsites along the rim of some canyons which lack water but are about a mile from a stream.

Now I can bring 4L of water to my site :)

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
wide mouth bottles on 08/15/2012 22:12:33 MDT Print View

IF you don't have nut allergies, the Planters narrow waisted bottles come in both 26 and 32 oz (for water, not peanuts - the 16 oz. peanut bottle holds 26 oz of water, something I learned from John Donewar, aka Newton), have a wider mouth than the Nalgenes, and are well over an ounce lighter, even after adding a MYOG cap retainer. The 32 oz or 1 L will fit pretty much anywhere a Nalgene will go, is easier to hold, and stands up better.