Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Motels at altitude to prep for a trip?

Display Avatars Sort By:
christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Motels at altitude to prep for a trip? on 08/15/2012 00:51:17 MDT Print View

I may be dreaming here, but does anyone know of any motels at altitude within a few hours of Kings Canyon (North lake entrance, or even Cedar grove entrance)
I was hoping for something at 7 or 8K ft or so just to help acclimate before a high altitude trip.

Camping at a trailhead just doesn't seem super fun to me.

Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Re: Motels at altitude to prep for a trip? on 08/15/2012 01:38:01 MDT Print View

This might help you...

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Motels at altitude to prep for a trip? on 08/15/2012 07:41:24 MDT Print View

Mammoth Lakes, about an hour from North Lake. Lots of motels to handle the winter skiing crowd. Also a variety of day-hiking opportunities on reasonably level trails at nicely ascending elevations. Do a day at the mid 7's to mid 8's then one at 8 to 9 etc.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Motels at altitude to prep for a trip? on 08/15/2012 08:42:14 MDT Print View

Mammoth Lakes is a great place to hang out to acclimate whether you motel it or camp. Lots of both available right in town. Lots to do besides twiddle your thumbs.
You can even do an easy day hike or take the gondola up to the top of the ski hill, at 11,300', to get a little extra rarified air.

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Awesome on 08/16/2012 01:29:15 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone!