Forum Index » GEAR » best practice for seam sealing a new tarp?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
best practice for seam sealing a new tarp? on 08/12/2012 14:19:09 MDT Print View

What's considered the best way to seal the seams on a new silnylon tarp? I've seen various methods described but little followup on long term effectiveness and durability.

Years ago I used undiluted McNett Sil-Net but that was really thick and seemed like overkill.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: best practice for seam sealing a new tarp? on 08/12/2012 14:33:02 MDT Print View

Permatex flowable windshield silicone

another link . I have used it and it is easy,doesn't smell,no mess,works great and is still working great.

Edited by annapurna on 08/12/2012 14:35:20 MDT.

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

- on 08/13/2012 06:00:53 MDT Print View

I plan to set the tarp up as normal then apply the sealer. Is the Permatex so thin that it will run out of the seam upon application, or does it have enough tack (or tact? haha) to stay in place as it cures?

d c
(dc) - M
seam sealing on 08/13/2012 07:43:13 MDT Print View

Tarptent has a good video that shows the entire process - making the sealer and application
http://www.tarptent.com/ttvideos.html#seamseal

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: - on 08/13/2012 09:11:10 MDT Print View

No it will not run,it is not messy,stays where you put it,no smell,no mixing easy to use.

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
Tarp sealing on 08/13/2012 12:50:28 MDT Print View

I have to do some sealing on my tarp pullouts. Should the sealant go on the inside or outside or both? Thanks

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

_ on 08/21/2012 22:20:03 MDT Print View

I went with the Permatex as Anna suggested and it worked great. Perfect consistency, at least at room temp. Easy to work with, no smell. A 1.5 ounce tube was just enough for an OWare 9x9 tarp including the custom beaks. Some of that remained in the tube and some was wiped off as waste so the total weight added was less than 1.5 ounces.

Highly recommend the Permatex.